Gransnet forums

Competitions

Hello School! giveaway

(50 Posts)
EmilyGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 08-Sep-14 09:49:51

Have your grandchildren just started nursery or school for the first time?

Post your top tip for settling them into the new school year and be in with the chance of winning a copy of Hello School, A push, pull, turn and learn-about-school-book by Angie Rozelaar.

Read more about the giveaway here and post your tips below by the 15th September to be in with the chance of winning.

This giveaway has now closed, thank you for all your contributions.

MiceElf Mon 08-Sep-14 09:58:03

Make sure they know what to expect.
Make sure they can go to the loo, dress themselves and wipe their own noses.
If there is a uniform, name EVERYTHING. It WILL get lost.
It's good to walk to school with a friend if possible.
Show a huge interest in the pictures and so on that bring home.
Don't interrogate them, they'll tell you in their own good time.

And above all DON'T CRY OR EVEN LOOK SAD when you wave them goodbye. Children who weep are often picking up the parents' anxieties about separation.

Soutra Mon 08-Sep-14 10:24:46

I can do little more than echo what miceElf has said about independence and not interrogating them when they come home. I would also say be prepared for behaviour blips as even the best regulated reception class will have all sorts of behaviours and your precious little one may have to "toughen up" in ways which are less acceptable at home. He or she will need time to get that balance right.

Aka Mon 08-Sep-14 10:38:42

Just dropped my little grandson off at his new school for the first day. He looked so cute in his uniform with a big smile on his face. He marched in, back straight, full of confidence. It was Nana who shed a tear (as she walked home).

He has been brought up in the same regime as his elder brother, they share the same gene pool. But they are so different. Yes, you can do all of the above, but not all children have his confidence - his brother certainly doesn't. Some are just naturally quiet and don't mix easily.

You just have to accept them for how they are and not put any additional pressure on them.

littleflo Mon 08-Sep-14 10:41:08

Be prepared for the following day. Children can be devastated by seemingly quite mundane things, like forgetting their gym shoes.

My tip would be to have the same time every evening for packing the necessaries for the following day.

Have a large print list of what is needed in the kitchen and a large drawing of a clock with the time marked. Pack the bag together and tick off the items as they are packed. This also helps with word recognition and telling the time.

Valbeasixties Mon 08-Sep-14 11:51:44

Most children settle easily but sometimes what might seem small to us can become frightening to a child in a new situation. This could be, for example, an experience which they have never encountered before, vocabulary which is unfamiliar to them or the presence of a more confident child. A little 'comforter' which can fit easily into a pocket or their bag can help to allay fears - a small teddy, piece of cloth etc.. Most infant teachers are happy for this to be brought into school for the first few days or weeks.

Penstemmon Mon 08-Sep-14 12:02:43

My advice to the one in my family starting in Reception this term was to -look confident and smiley
-make sure she knew where everything was
-know how the day was organised
-get to know as many names as possible of all the other newbies.
-be prepared for upsets and wet knickers
-to enjoy the day
-remember everyone else may also be feeling a bit anxious

She is my daughter back at full time work, as a reception teacher, after a gap of 9 years! grin

sallyc06 Mon 08-Sep-14 12:40:59

Make a scrapbook leading up to starting school with pictures of the school, teachers and even little things like the pegs. It will familiarise then before they go.

littleflo Mon 08-Sep-14 12:47:24

That gave me such a good laugh Penstemmon.

NfkDumpling Mon 08-Sep-14 12:57:25

These days children starting school are introduced so well and there's so much advise they very rarely have problems...... My advise would be to the mum to arrange to get a hair do, have her nails done and pamper herself for that first morning and avoid going straight back to an empty house. She's the one who'll be tearful!

RosG Mon 08-Sep-14 13:26:44

Talking about your own school days with enthusiasm - make it sound like a positive experience for everyone

gillybob Mon 08-Sep-14 14:01:44

My little grandson started big school today. He has been going to nursery since he was only weeks old so "going in" was never going to present a problem. On Saturday we had a tea party to celebrate my grandmas birthday and lots of family members wished him luck for his first day at "big school". Eventually he turned to me and said "Drandma, (he can't say his G's) why is everyone tellin' me to be a dood boy at bid school? I am always a dood boy and anyway it's only for one day". shock

I agree with what others have said. Most children have had some kind of nursery education these days so the separation "thing" is very rarley an issue. I do know for sure though that I am going to miss my little playmate on a Tuesday so it will no doubt be me with the seperation anxiety, not him.

joannapiano Mon 08-Sep-14 15:15:29

Don't make disparaging remarks about a teacher,the school, another child or another parent in front of your DGC.
It WILL get back to them! blush

EmilyGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 08-Sep-14 15:15:40

Lots of lovely tips here everyone, thank you. Keep them coming and don't forget your comments automatically enter you into the Hello School! book giveaway smile

Nelliemoser Mon 08-Sep-14 15:49:13

Gillybob what do you think will happen when someone tells him he has another thirteen years of it? Poor little soul. grin

compy99 Mon 08-Sep-14 19:31:43

For Nursery School it is very useful if the school allow Tester/Taster days where you can visit the school with your child and stay with them for a few hours, if you can do this over a few weeks and then gradually leave the child for a little while whilst you go into another room and then gradually increase the time you are out of sight until you are confident of leaving them. This builds up confidence and security (both theirs and yours) and makes the separation and big first day less scary.

shirlz51 Mon 08-Sep-14 20:03:27

Tell them how good it will all be and you can't wait to hear about their brilliant day

scarlet1234 Mon 08-Sep-14 20:18:38

Long before they start nursery or school talk to them about what it will be like at nursery/big school. Be honest and get them excited about the big day by shopping together for things they will need. Nursery/school uniform, a special bag to carry books/Pe kit, or a packed lunch box with their favourite character on. Tell them of all the things they will be doing, painting/play doh/sorytime and what a fantastic day they will have with all their new friends x

strawberrinan Mon 08-Sep-14 20:52:25

The children take their cue from whoever drops them off - whether that is the Grandparents or the parents. If you act in a calm way and let them know that this is a normal process then they will be at ease.

Soutra Mon 08-Sep-14 21:10:32

It is a big watershed isn't it? No more flexibility of days off or surprise vsits to Granny and Grandpa on weekdays sad
My little DGS starts tomorrow aged 4 and 4 months, he has been in nursery 3 or 4 days a week since he was 1 so that's no big deal as such but it is the start of 13 years of full time education and that's a sobering thought!

pennwood Mon 08-Sep-14 21:54:32

If possible try to ensure your youngsters get to know some of the children that will be starting at the same time. It always seems to help if they have played together at some point. Ensure you take the opportunity to visit the nursery/school with your little one when they have an open day so your children know what to expect, and it is not so daunting to be there on their own without Mum. Remember, keep smiling as behaviour breeds behaviour!

annodomini Mon 08-Sep-14 22:11:15

I bought my GD a Topsy and Tim book about starting school. She loved it.

trisher Mon 08-Sep-14 22:29:11

Make friends with the staff- no need for chocolates just a cheery greeting and enquiries about their health/families.
Practice dealing with clothes, shoes etc Dressing and undressing by themselves is so helpful. Identifying marks and labels on clothing is important.
When you leave give a quick kiss and cuddle. When you collect give a big long hug and kiss.-sounds obvious but parents in a hurry sometimes forget.
There is some research which shows children who are greeted with hugs by their parents are better behaved at nursery.

rubysong Mon 08-Sep-14 23:17:27

It's good to take a photo when your little one is ready for their first day at school but please leave the video camera at home. They need your attention when the moment comes not to be'directed' for a home movie. I saw this happen lots of times when I was a school secretary and felt sorry for these children.

grands Tue 09-Sep-14 00:31:36

Preparation. Talk about school, share stories. Books and DVD's can help in preparing a little one to know what to expect. Try to remain calm, and view it as an adventure. Involve the child and family in the preparations. Friends can also become involved, as for some children they may be starting school with friends that they met at Nursery.

Prepare all items the day before, pack school bag etc. Avoid leaving this task, as if done in a rush or when tired etc :- It is likely something will be forgotten, there will be tears etc. School and childhood memories are can be happy times. So try to plan and schedule for all the necessary tasks etc. Be proud of the child and share in the joy of their adventures.