Gransnet forums

Competitions

Win a set of DVDs worth almost £200

(310 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

VirginiaGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 18-Mar-15 11:40:15

Attention all gransnetters, we're giving away a fabulous set of DVDs worth £199.42 courtesy of the lovely people at Twentieth Century Fox. The bundle includes a huge variety of films and television series such as Modern Family, Bones, The Fault in our Stars, The Book of Life and many more - perfect entertainment for all the family during a miserable month of April showers.

To be in with a chance of winning we want you to tell us which movie you would screen (and why) if you had your very own cinema for just one night. The more funny and outrageous the better. May the Force be with you all smile

*Congratulations trisher, you are the lucky winner. We LOVED the hilarious account of what you would have everyone do whilst screening South Pacific!*

bridgej Sun 12-Apr-15 10:37:23

I would most definately choose 'The Lion King' as it is great for the whole family from young babies as they just love all the colours, to toddlers as they love the animals, to kids in general as it is timeless. The teenagers even love it which is really something!
My sons who are 28 and 32 absolutely love it as it brings back memories and Nanna (Me) loves everything about it. The fact that it is suitable for everyone and it has a great soundtrack of music too. What else could you possibly want?

ANNMRMILLIGAN Sun 12-Apr-15 12:52:48

Miracle on 34th Street

This is one of the very best Christmas movies smile

Miracles can happen.

megamitts Sun 12-Apr-15 13:46:33

Tron

Because it's Tron and there doesn't need to be any other reason.

tweedle Sun 12-Apr-15 16:39:19

I would watch 'Jaws' again ,a classic and would see if I would jump when the severed head floats out of the damaged boat.

kymee Sun 12-Apr-15 19:16:47

Laurel and Hardy good old slapstick humour which has been lost to this generation

greig23 Mon 13-Apr-15 17:56:04

jurassic park

its such a classic even now and its full of so much differnet things it has something for everybody

carowood Mon 13-Apr-15 18:28:31

Grease - we can all get up and have a good old singalong

billyboychrisd Mon 13-Apr-15 20:16:18

I love Happy Gilmore! It leaves me in stitches each time I watch it, and It would have to be the first film I caught in my own personal cinema! :D

Candelle Mon 13-Apr-15 21:05:59

How about West Side Story?

Breath-taking dancing, wonderful acting and an eternal plot (how to inject a dose of Shakespeare without a recalcitrant teenager noticing, anyone?).

One can shed a quiet tear, too... after laughing at wonderful witty lyrics. It's just brilliant!

trisher Mon 13-Apr-15 22:22:26

South Pacific. All male guests will be expected to wear white t-shirts and bell bottomed trousers and to join in "There is nothing like a dame". Female guests can choose between shorts and sun top or grass skirt/sarong and will sing "I'm gonna wash that man right out of my hair". All will sing "Bloody Mary" Song sheets provided. Tissues available for when the lieutenant is killed. Choc ices served.Paper bags of sticky boiled sweets will be passed around. At the end of the screening all will stand in silence for the National Anthem

galadrial Mon 13-Apr-15 23:41:51

I would love to screen Saturday Night Fever, when each dance scene was screened you had to get up and dance along with it.

Patterry Tue 14-Apr-15 07:50:43

Alien, always been my favourite

sandra63 Tue 14-Apr-15 09:25:06

The Naked Gun as I would laugh my socks off and I would remember life as it was then too!

laurensam Tue 14-Apr-15 15:23:31

Grease really loved that film

jeberdes83 Tue 14-Apr-15 15:35:53

"Shall We Dance" A lovely feel good film with George Clooney & J.Lopez.
It has everything, pathos, mirth, and lovely dancing.

cheryl88 Tue 14-Apr-15 16:27:45

I would screen pricilla queen of the desert, how cool and funny would making that be !!!

laurenold Tue 14-Apr-15 18:36:36

Scream - what a scream!

reaper101 Wed 15-Apr-15 00:33:00

Well I'm going the completely politically uncorrect route of Blazing Saddles!! I love it, its back when humour was that, humour! People taking the mickey out of themselves and each other. Its just a plain daft film and I challenge anyone old or young not to laugh at the campfire baked beans seen :D I can sing every song on it and recite the script too, I've seen it THAT many times and I have my parents to thank for introducing me to it. They still love it too, my dad crys with laughter at it :D

racarson39 Wed 15-Apr-15 03:09:42

I would screen American Beauty because it is the first film I watched with my partner

01zesty01 Wed 15-Apr-15 09:36:13

The princess bride is a lovely film

Tegan Wed 15-Apr-15 10:34:05

I've got an old video of that on my desk, complete with a game to play. Great film [and a good book, also].

Nocona Wed 15-Apr-15 11:48:01

I would screen a spoof like hot shots and get everyone to do fancy dress of the characters and then party with movie themed nibbles after! It would be hilarious!

feejee Wed 15-Apr-15 13:19:27

Id screen the classic Grease, perhaps have a grease singalong!

Lesevans6 Wed 15-Apr-15 14:33:34

Alien ( Very Scarry )

lollipop123 Wed 15-Apr-15 15:26:02

Labyrinth - I loved it when I was younger and still do now (must be David Bowie in those leggings, lol). My kids love it too - great film with great soundtrack x