Gransnet forums

Competitions

Win a set of DVDs worth almost £200

(310 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

VirginiaGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 18-Mar-15 11:40:15

Attention all gransnetters, we're giving away a fabulous set of DVDs worth £199.42 courtesy of the lovely people at Twentieth Century Fox. The bundle includes a huge variety of films and television series such as Modern Family, Bones, The Fault in our Stars, The Book of Life and many more - perfect entertainment for all the family during a miserable month of April showers.

To be in with a chance of winning we want you to tell us which movie you would screen (and why) if you had your very own cinema for just one night. The more funny and outrageous the better. May the Force be with you all smile

*Congratulations trisher, you are the lucky winner. We LOVED the hilarious account of what you would have everyone do whilst screening South Pacific!*

joannapiano Thu 19-Mar-15 12:27:31

I would screen Peppa Pig the Movie, because all the littlies would be glued to the screen for an hour, and I could sit and eat an icecream in peace.

Madwuman Thu 19-Mar-15 14:43:20

I would choose The Sound of Music. The very first film we got to watch at the "pictures". I would recreate the experience with a frozen Quenchy cup and a spoon to dig out the ice (bliss lol )

greig23 Thu 19-Mar-15 14:56:56

JURASSIC PARK

as i love dinosaurs lol

suelowe Thu 19-Mar-15 14:57:36

Midnight Cowboy . Haunting music , sad / happy / funny. Early Jon Voight and Dustin Hoffman : perfect .

inishowen Thu 19-Mar-15 15:03:29

Greyfriars Bobby. I was taken to see it in the cinema when I was about five. (My parents probably couldn't get a babysitter) I loved the little dog so much! All these years late,r I still remember the novelty of sitting in the dark watching my first film. I've never seen it since, but would love to.

Susangilley Thu 19-Mar-15 15:17:41

I should love to watch the second Best Marigold Hotel which has just been released. I missed it at our local cinema.

wwerty222 Thu 19-Mar-15 15:45:10

Has to be Ghost busters! Then everyone can start sing the theme song together and spray crazy string at each other during the film!

rockgran25 Thu 19-Mar-15 16:35:16

Safety Last with Harold Lloyd a black & white silent movie. My mother & father had taken me to the cinema for the first time when I was about 5 or 6 years old and this was the first film I had ever seen. The story goes that I laughed so loudly that the cinema audience couldn't stop laughing at me never mind at the film. I have been an avid film fan ever since and have always been able to see the funny side of life.
On the odd occasion they show a clip from this film it still makes me laugh and I remember that lovely day when Mum & Dad took me to see my first of many films...lovely memories.

hildajenniJ Thu 19-Mar-15 16:41:38

A film for all the family would have to be Disney'Frozen, perfect for everyone from my 2yr. old grandson to my dear husband (who's just a big kid anyway).
If it is jus for me, my favourite is Field of Dreams with Kevin Costner and Amy Madigan. It has everything!!

lindarumsey Thu 19-Mar-15 17:41:22

The English Patient - Ralph Fiennes at his best!

annsixty Thu 19-Mar-15 17:41:31

Paint your Waggon with Lee Marvin and Clinton Eastwood. So funny and also sad but two actors playing outside their normal roles.

annsixty Thu 19-Mar-15 17:43:11

Don't know where Clinton came from!!

Bez Thu 19-Mar-15 18:05:55

Tea with Mussolini - great cast.

belo Thu 19-Mar-15 18:16:57

Cinema Paradiso. A brilliant film about a lifelong love of films. Fantastic perfomances, beatifully shot and a great story. I have been to the cinema to see this more than any other film. So, if I was to have a cinema (even if just for the night) there could be no better film to open with.

matson Thu 19-Mar-15 18:17:55

Forrest Gump... I have yet to watch it without shedding a tear !

ukraines Thu 19-Mar-15 18:21:23

any Stephen King Films

Shellseeking Thu 19-Mar-15 18:21:30

The Truman Show. It is one of my all time favourites and kind of predicted the obsession with reality TV

Morgie52 Thu 19-Mar-15 18:24:55

The Shawshank Redemption. Best film ever made and Morgan Freeman is an excellent actor.

margk Thu 19-Mar-15 18:25:42

My favourite film is Foul Play with Goldie Hawn and Chevy Chase. I have watched it loads of times and it never fails to makes me laugh. Definitely one to cheer me up.

happytraveller Thu 19-Mar-15 18:27:35

I recently watched 'The Imitation Game' and would love to watch it again with friends and family. Terrible what Alan Turing went through after all he did. So emotional yet a brilliant film to watch.

annemac101 Thu 19-Mar-15 18:41:26

I think it would have to be, "Love Story" because love means never having to say you're sorry. My mum took my older cousin to see this in the cinema when it came out she said I was too young to go with them. I cried for days and wouldn't speak to her. I didn't see it for years and then on tape so a private big screen showing would be amazing.

wallers5 Thu 19-Mar-15 18:45:09

The new Poldark with its stunning scenery not to mention the handsome hunk

plavender Thu 19-Mar-15 18:48:12

The Hundred-Foot Journey - a great film with beautiful scenery. And I'm trying to persuade my husband to take me on holiday to France so I think this would clinch it!

missdeke Thu 19-Mar-15 18:48:37

So difficult to choose, I was reading through other Gransnetter's suggestions and, oh yes, Blues Brothers! Oh no, changed my mind, The Commitments and there again I too missed The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, but finally I think it would have to be The Railway Children, 'Daddy my daddy' reduces me to a quivering wreck every time. But whichever it would be so nice to have a private viewing I find the sound systems in cinemas painfully loud these days, especially the music!!

gardenoma Thu 19-Mar-15 18:53:01

Has to be West Side Story for me. My first ever cinema film, I was probably about 14 years old and it made a huge impression. Might be disappointed when I see it again but the music will still completely bowl me over.