Gransnet forums

Competitions

Win a set of DVDs worth almost £200

(310 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

VirginiaGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 18-Mar-15 11:40:15

Attention all gransnetters, we're giving away a fabulous set of DVDs worth £199.42 courtesy of the lovely people at Twentieth Century Fox. The bundle includes a huge variety of films and television series such as Modern Family, Bones, The Fault in our Stars, The Book of Life and many more - perfect entertainment for all the family during a miserable month of April showers.

To be in with a chance of winning we want you to tell us which movie you would screen (and why) if you had your very own cinema for just one night. The more funny and outrageous the better. May the Force be with you all smile

*Congratulations trisher, you are the lucky winner. We LOVED the hilarious account of what you would have everyone do whilst screening South Pacific!*

grannyannie48 Thu 19-Mar-15 18:56:57

Dr Zhivago,I still remember the impact of the first scene when I first saw it must be nearly 50 years ago

grannyannie48 Thu 19-Mar-15 18:57:55

Dr Zhivago,I still remember the impact of the first scene when I first saw it must be nearly 50 years ago

henbane Thu 19-Mar-15 19:03:11

Has to be Blade Runner - my favourite film of all time. The Final Cut is on release again I think...

glammanana Thu 19-Mar-15 19:04:33

Mine has got to be Shirley Valentine every time I watch it I smile at the story as everyone knows someone like Shirley and sometimes we could wish we where like Shirley.
I have loads of favourite films from when I was young all tear jerkers, such as The Lassie films always had to take tissues for them.

oznan Thu 19-Mar-15 19:08:09

I would screen Love Story and invite all the young people who would not have seen it the first time around.Then I would see how many of them cry at the end! It's my belief that if a film is well acted and has a great storyline,it's power to touch the audience will stand the test of time,however dated the actual film is.
Then we would all cheer ourselves up with a takeaway!

lgo Thu 19-Mar-15 19:09:14

Psycho because this classic spine chiller is my favourite time killer!

gillyf Thu 19-Mar-15 19:09:51

Im afraid it would be the American Pie films they always give me a good laugh because its good to remember being young and having fun

J52 Thu 19-Mar-15 19:15:48

All the Ealing comedies, they are a simple pleasure! x

cookiemonster66 Thu 19-Mar-15 19:24:12

I would host a 'Life of Brian' by Monty Python singalong fancy dress evening, where everyone attending would have to have teatowels tied round their heads, wear false beards and be holding a sandal in one hand. Our family know this film word by word so we could enact it scene by scene... we still crack up on the famous line 'He's not coming out, he's a very naughty boy!' - classic gold comedy! Ive even got the song 'always look on the bright side of life' as my funeral song just to raise a smile!

Lunchtimelady1 Thu 19-Mar-15 19:24:20

Truly, madly,deeply..... Moves me to years every time!

Larnipoo42 Thu 19-Mar-15 19:31:58

Mamma Mia. Best viewed in a crowd, even the doubters can't help but be carried away with the our joy of this movie. Pierce Brosnon performance is a particiular treat.

rocketstop Thu 19-Mar-15 19:39:38

Yanks..The second world war drama set in a Northern town when the Gi's came over.It's funny, its poignant, it has something to say about racial issues, it's sad and it's complex.I would invite my friends, my sister, my niece, my Mother and Mother in law.I would cook up some wartime ration food to have in 'The interval'.We'd wear turbans and draw lines up the backs of our legs !!!!

Venus Thu 19-Mar-15 19:51:42

Absolutely any Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers movie. Why? Forget the fact that they are in black and white, that Astaire's voice isn't the greatest, and that the plots are pretty thin. The dancing is divine, the songs of Cole Porter are pretty special and every film is a classic in its own right. Wonderful!

jack Thu 19-Mar-15 19:55:33

Casablanca. Oh that film title alone makes me swoon. How to choose between two men - one an irresistible rogue, one a thoroughly decent chap. Everyone, of all ages, cannot fail to be moved by this extraordinary film. I could watch it every month for the rest of my life. And beg Sam to "play it" -again and again and again.

sharronr Thu 19-Mar-15 19:59:01

I would screen. The Rocky Horror Show. What could be better...a great sing a long and the chance to see my conservative male friends in a basque and fishnets.

Nendels Thu 19-Mar-15 20:23:22

Difficult.
Gone with the Wind, because however old I get, when he carries her upstairs, I go weak at the knees, and my heart starts thumping. Dream!
Dirty Dancing because Patrick was gorgeous and that dance leap is sensational, and I wish I could do it - and I could have been there. I would to have been put in the corner either!
West Side Story, because it was my first date in London. The film swept me away, sadly the date did not have the same effect.
BUT THOSE ARE MY MEMORIES.
If it was a family night viewing it would be
Herbie - I loved that film, and so have my children and grand children.
Or Toy Story which had the same effect.
The toys and the car became human, and we felt all their fun, laughter, troubles and sadness.

Hameringham Thu 19-Mar-15 20:34:30

I would screen Jewel in the Crown in order for me to share my passion for India with my family.

ruthiratbag Thu 19-Mar-15 21:04:22

I would screen Mary Poppins - something that all the family can enjoy from the youngest to the eldest, and sing along to too!

bumblebee Thu 19-Mar-15 21:17:44

I've found adventure/sci-fi/fantasy blockbusters to be the best movies for cinema - dazzling special effects, grand score/theme, extravagant sets - Star Wars / Avatar / Indiana Jones / Back To The Future / Terminator 2 / Jurassic Park / Pirates Of The Caribbean .... take your pick!

But out the current films on release, it would have to the 'The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies' .... absolutely incredible!!!

smile

futuregran1 Thu 19-Mar-15 21:21:08

I'd screen 'The Sound of Music'. Its a favourite with all the family and with all ages and we could all sing along with the music.

nannabo Thu 19-Mar-15 21:35:19

Saturday night fever was one of the first films I went to see in the cinema with my friends. Loved it then and still love it now. Timeless even my daughters love it

grannyJillyT Thu 19-Mar-15 21:36:08

It would have to be The Best Marigold Hotel, I totally lost myself in this film! Happy, sad it had it all, laughed and cried. Well, maybe it's something to look forward too, watch this space.....

GeminiJen Thu 19-Mar-15 22:15:15

The Way We Were - with a young and very handsome Robert Redford and the awesome Barbra Streisand. Bring on the wine, chocs and, of course, a huge box of tissues..... Nostalgia doesn't come any better than this!

GeminiJen Thu 19-Mar-15 22:21:22

Then again, if I was in active Gran mode, it would have to be a box set of all 8 of the Harry Potter films. I've been reading the books with my grandson, and we're on the last one. He hasn't seen any of the films as yet, and has a birthday coming up.....so the time would be right for a party, with everyone coming dressed as their favourite character and a viewing of the first film in the series. Magic!

nannybev Thu 19-Mar-15 22:33:35

TOP HAT Staring Fred Astair, all of his films give me a 'feel good' factor, whatever my mood I am always carried away with the big band music, and the tapping, and fantastic movements of Dance. I'm getting excited just thinking about it.����