Gransnet forums

Competitions

Share your favourite leftovers recipe to win a signed River Cottage book

(60 Posts)
LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 16-Oct-15 12:29:04

We've got two signed copies of Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall's new book Love Your Leftovers to give away, and all you need to do to enter the draw is let us know your favourite recipes and tips for using up leftover food and scraps.

And if you need some inspiration, take a look at some of the delicious recipes from the book... Leave yours below by 30 October for a chance to win.

Grannyknot Sat 31-Oct-15 07:11:21

What are pot stickers please?! smile

GeorgeW Fri 30-Oct-15 22:07:13

Asian style spicy rice. Add lots of different vegetables, meat if you have that leftover it really doesn't matter! I often have it with pot stickers (cooked from frozen) as a stand by supper.

stillhere Fri 30-Oct-15 12:41:45

Thank you! What a lovely surprise.

Piggypoo Fri 30-Oct-15 12:36:20

Leftover veg can be turned into a great pizza topping, I use a pack of pizza base mix, and add whatever veg I have and some cheese and pasta sauce.

KatGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 30-Oct-15 11:50:52

Congrats to sophie56 and stillhere who were picked at random to win a signed copy of Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall's new book Love Your Leftovers.

Please check your emails for more details.

embabes Fri 30-Oct-15 05:14:28

Curry or spicy wraps! smile

TheMillersTale Thu 29-Oct-15 10:57:02

This is really simple but tastes amazing. Basically pretty much anything can be improved with a squirt of lemon. It's a little bit Spanish in that I got the idea from frying up migas and subbed leftover potatoes.

Peg scramble (potato + egg)

Left over boiled potatoes, either new whole or old, halved and quartered;
Leftover peas;
One whole egg;
Lemon juice from a bottle or a lemon half.
Pinch of sweet paprika.

Add olive oil to a frying pan, make sure there's plenty of space to toss the potatoes and peas about and heat.

Add potatoes to the pan and sprinkle with paprika and salt. Stir fry until they are crunchy.

Break egg into the fry pan and swirl about so the yolk breaks and covers the potatoes then add the peas. Add a good quirt of lemon, taste and season with more salt

When the white is set and starting to frill around the edges of the scramble and the yolks are soft set, remove from pan, plate up and add black pepper.

This is my son's favourite post pub, post hard day at work meal. The lemon and salt makes it sticky and salty and absolutely delicious, especially when you get a crunchy potato edged in yolk and paprika.

If you have leftover bacon (is there such a thing?), a spare pork chop or two then add this also.

Bellroyd Thu 29-Oct-15 10:01:11

Sunday lunch leftovers - all into an oven dish with a bit of olive oil and served up again as roasted the next day

Dessallara Wed 28-Oct-15 18:34:20

We love quick omlette teas out of our leftovers smile

wallers5 Wed 28-Oct-15 15:41:18

Soups are my favourite way. Or use up left veg in curries making them more healthy.

angiehoggett Tue 27-Oct-15 13:00:24

I love using leftover mash, swede and carrot from a Sunday roast to make potato hash cakes with. They're lovely with some beans and nice smokey bacon as a treat!

stillhere Mon 26-Oct-15 21:19:59

I have just 'invented' a form of apple Turkish delight using leftover apple puree. I eat loads of puree for breakfast, with yoghourt, but I had so many windfalls this year I overdid it a bit. In desperation I added more sugar and some cinnamon and cooked it down to make apple cheese, but then thought, why not make Turkish delight instead, but without all the cornflour? I added gelatine, set it in food boxes in the fridge, cubed it and rolled it in icing sugar and now have lovely Christmassy Turkish delight.

Flushmonkey Sun 25-Oct-15 11:55:13

This is something my sister showed me I am not sure where she got it from.

Mix some leftover cooked cold pasta with some juice from tinned tomatoes add some chopped onion and salad cream and you have a nice sweet tangy accompaniment.

The tomatoes give it a lovely colour and you can adjust the ingredients to your taste. You can also add other leftovers such as sweet corn etc.

It's a good one which can use up a few leftovers at the same time and as long as the pasta is already cooked, there is no other cooking involved.

Might need a few mints after though!

sweir1 Sat 24-Oct-15 17:59:17

you can't a good stir fry

lilmiztam22 Fri 23-Oct-15 19:32:56

Use leftovers for a soup especially vegetables but they biggest tip would be try to avoid leftovers only buy what you need/will eat

callkiki Thu 22-Oct-15 06:19:27

I love using any leftover meats & veggies in between tortillas to make Quesadillas

lizm Wed 21-Oct-15 10:50:28

My favourite is using leftover chicken (or lamb / pork) from a roast in a 'nasi goreng'. It varies every time depending on what leftover veg I have to add to it. The basic ides is fry chopped onion, garlic , add spices (your preference - I use coriander / cumin/ fennel seeds ground in a pestle & mortar). Cook some rice then stir this through the spice mix and add the leftover veg / chicken/ pork or whatever... top with a small 1 egg omelette cut into strips.

sue01 Wed 21-Oct-15 10:06:32

Roast chicken Sunday Lunch hereabouts always means soup on Monday !

Strip the meat from the carcase ... chuck the bones into a saucepan and simmer for 20 mins or so... then you're hot to trot,,,

If you've got leftover roast potatoes and veg... and stuffing... simply blitz the lot in a food mixer.... add chicken stock... check seasoning.. and serve.

Alternatively, the chicken stock is the basis for a great minestrone...

And it's good for you too !

What's not to like !

kittylester Tue 20-Oct-15 17:43:44

Stansgran, my mum used to fry that in lard or bacon fat and call it a potato cake. We had it with bacon and egg. Not at all fattening!! grin

nanaval Tue 20-Oct-15 17:30:24

I rarely have left overs as meals and shopping are planned with care. As for potatoe peel...don't often have that as small potatoes are boiled with the skin on and larger potatoes, for putting in soup, are scrubbed and chopped and added to soup with peel on.

youngie Tue 20-Oct-15 17:10:03

squidgy tomatoes lurking in your salad draw just skin and freeze when you have a reasonable amount defrost add any other lurking veg and herbs and make a super lasgne

inishowen Tue 20-Oct-15 16:12:59

I make minestrone soup. Chop up the veg, add stock and a tin of tomatoes. Towards the end I add some small pasta bits, soy sauce and seasoning.

Cambia Tue 20-Oct-15 15:10:41

We love this so much we always buy a too big chicken. Very rich but so easy and tasty.

Chicken Gratin With Gruyere

Servings: 2
Prep time: --
Cook time: --
Category: Poultry
Ingredients
50g butter, melted
1 tbsp flour, seasoned 1 in stock
half chicken stock cube, dissolved in hot water
splash white wine
3tbsps double cream
100g gruyere cheese, grated
1tbsp Dijon mustard
tarragon
cooked chicken
50g breadcrumbs
3tbsp Parmesan cheese, finely grated
Notes / Directions
Melt half the butter and stir in the flour. Gradually add the stock and stir until thick. Bring to the boil, add the wine, stir, reduce heat and simmer for 6 mins. Add the cream, mustard and cheese. Simmer until cheese melts. Season and add tarragon if using.

Put the leftover chicken in a dish and cover with the sauce. Top with breadcrumbs and parmesan and dot with remaining butter.

Bake for 20 -30 mins at 200

Stansgran Tue 20-Oct-15 14:56:06

This is not really a recipe but my mother used leftover mashed potato to make THE most delicious scones. Add an egg and a goodly lump of butter and flour. She only used Sr flour and mix until it feels right. Pat it out on a baking tray and mark into wedges. Cook in medium to hot oven. Absolute heaven and so very fattening but uses up leftovers so perfectly justified and very virtuous.

Envious Tue 20-Oct-15 14:28:41

I put all my leftover veggies in a spaghetti sauce and use an hand blender to mix it all together. Add it to cooked minced beef I've cooked in a skillet with onions and green peppers all to go on spaghetti noodles.