Gransnet forums

Competitions

NOW CLOSED: Do you recognise yourself in your grandchild(ren)? Tell us and win a bundle of kids' books

(87 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 15-Jan-16 15:27:07

An expression? A mannerism? A fearless nature? A dimple? Tell us and we'll choose a winner at random to win a bundle of children's books.

Normal T&Cs apply. Competition closes midday on Wed 20th Jan.

dragonfly63 Mon 25-Jan-16 21:11:24

Its fascinating to hear your expressions and tone of voice in the things that little ones say. We are their example so not really surprising that they grow in our image mentally if not always physically.

albertina Wed 20-Jan-16 20:00:33

My GD bears a strong facial resemblance to my mother at 9 years of age. Sometimes we laugh together at nothing in particular which means she has a daft sense of humour like me. She loves books and so do I.

NanaandGrampy Wed 20-Jan-16 17:19:27

Each of our little ones has a tiny part like me.

The QOTU ( Queen of the Universe) is my 9 yr old DGD and we shop like there's no tomorrow. Not only that but we round up acres of hangers , go to the changing room and she tries on whilst I sit outside and wait for the fashion show !!. Our favourite phrase is ' I like it , but I don't LOVE it !)

Our 6 yr old DGS is like me in that he feels no cold...we both have soup for blood.

Our 4 yr old DGS is my swimming buddy. We're both water babies and even swim in the outdoor pool at the gym !

Our 2 yr old DGS is my reader, books books and more books. Turn off the TV Nana let's read. He and I can easily while away an afternoon curled up on the sofa together reading our books.

KatGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 20-Jan-16 13:35:30

Congrats to GrAnne2 who has been picked at random to win a bundle of books.

Please check your emails.

paperbackbutterfly Wed 20-Jan-16 10:17:40

My grand daughter is nearly 3 and her eyes light up when she sees a book. 'Ohhh new book Grandma', she was so delighted when I gave her a book as a gift and she turns the pages so carefully, looking at everything. She certainly reminds me of myself as I still get a thrill from buying a book and as a school librarian I am in my ideal job. A mini librarian in the making I think

jacqroberts Wed 20-Jan-16 10:14:28

Oh lordy everyday when they give me a sarcastic retort. I taught them well too well.

cathyov Wed 20-Jan-16 09:42:57

I always find it difficult to see likeness to myself but as for my grandson he is so like his grandfather and in character too and no I do not want him to grow out of it!

Funnygran Wed 20-Jan-16 09:31:33

I recently showed my daughter a photo of my grandmother. Taken about 1910, it's interesting for her clothes and hairstyle. DD looked at it hard then announced that she now knew where we all (DGD included) got our square jaw!

glammanana Wed 20-Jan-16 08:39:38

Both of my DGDs take after me they are very forthright in their opinions and will fight their corner if they think they are right whilst listening to other sides,mind you DGD2 has to as she is the only girl with 5 brothers and DGD1 is an only child,they both resemble my side of the family in their tall skinny appearance and "Olive Oil" legs something I can't now take any credit for hmm

stoodles Wed 20-Jan-16 08:39:35

I don't, but thy are steps, not blood. I wait with interest to see if anything appears when my children reproduce. Having spent my childhood being told I was the image of my grannma, I expect something to carry through

aligiraffe Wed 20-Jan-16 07:58:22

Everyone says my granddaughter is the spit of me at the same age. She is also fearless & outspoken which my Mum keeps saying 'she's just like you were' plus she overwhelms her big brother just like I did with her sheer energy!

lilrahi Tue 19-Jan-16 23:22:42

None of them look like me, but you can hear it in their words! They have the same sense of humour as me smile

tinselscarf Tue 19-Jan-16 22:38:19

I never recognise myself in any members of my family but the baby of our family is coming up four and is so like her auntie even I can't miss it. They have the same cheeky grin, funny facial expression and infectious laugh. There may be 30 years between them but they have the same sense of humour and ability to laugh at themselves - they are often in fits of giggles over something none of the rest of us get.

peanutmum Tue 19-Jan-16 22:23:29

Even though my grandsons are adopted, they both are me.
At a playgroup I was told how much they looked like me !!!!!! and they do. BUT it is really their characters which are me. The youngest who is four, is so dogmatic, will not bend and has great determination. ( I hope he doesn't get in trouble in the future but use it for strength of character to finish what he has started ) The eldest is six and just loves learning like me, but not the same topic !!!!!!!!!! He has a love of life and an enquiring mind. So it is not always in the GENES but their experiences and love

SIDNEY65 Tue 19-Jan-16 21:25:01

Both my boys look like a combination of their dad and me, to be honest I always thing its a bit freaky looking at someone and seeing two people's faces combined

worriedmum Tue 19-Jan-16 20:27:54

My eldest Grandaughter is very active and loves to be outdoors all the time regardless of the weather. Apparently I was like that at her age, she looks like my DIL in many respects. We are all really tall and she is petite like her mum.

avery64 Tue 19-Jan-16 20:25:43

I inherited my feistiness and strength of character from my Grandma. She was widowed young and made and sold soap on the market to support her large family. She was a big influence on my early years as I lived with her for 7 years until my parents got a council house. She died when I was 10 but I remember her so well. My daughter has very similar characteristics but not as much as my very independent, straight talking 8 year old grandaughter. It is difficult to keep a straight face when she is talking to you. Although her life materially is so different to her Great Great Grandma
her outlook on life and her personality is uncanningly similar. It is comforting to know that whatever life throws at her in the future she will face it full on and survive.

shell Tue 19-Jan-16 20:09:50

for us it's the eyes and chin that resemble our side of the family

Cambia Tue 19-Jan-16 11:31:08

My grandaughter is eight and everyone says she is so like me in nature. A future pedant her negotiating and arguing skills would make her a brilliant career as a barrister. Very determined and not quite sure as to why she isn't yet in charge of the world. Excruciatingly honest and not yet much grey between the black and white! I think I have mellowed but I do recognise a lot of myself in her!

EllenMay Tue 19-Jan-16 09:55:23

My granddaughter has strong opinions and is not afraid to express them forcefully and passionately - just like her Grandma!

kittylester Tue 19-Jan-16 07:00:06

Lots of people comment on the fact that our eldest dgd looks like me although I think she looks like her mum who doesn't look at all like me.confused However, they both love musicals, Meatloaf and the button box!

stillhere Mon 18-Jan-16 21:09:10

Neither of my GCs look like me, but DGD does have my curly hair, although hers is dark. However, it is their love of reading and books from a very young age that is what makes me feel very close to them. I was so happy when I arrived one day when DGS was a tiny baby, maybe 7 months, only just able to sit up on his own but holding a board book I had bought for him, and carefully turning the pages. I buy books from charity shops village fetes and in sales in bookshops throughout the year, they read them when they stay the night and take some home with them. They have bunkbeds here and they are surrounded by double-sided bookshelves, like a cave! Bedtime here is no problem, as it wasn't for me, because we all read ourselves to sleep.

Maisiesnan Mon 18-Jan-16 20:30:35

Both my granddaughters have toes like mine, the smallest toe is bent inwards to the next toe.

leemw711 Mon 18-Jan-16 15:20:41

I see my son in my lovely little grand-daughter - stubborn and determined - but the way she resembles me most is that she is already, at two, quite obviously left-handed. I had very little help when at school to cope with being a left-handler in a right-handed world so as a retired teacher I am going to ensure that she is taught the skills needed to write neatly and legibly.

gobsor Mon 18-Jan-16 07:38:57

My ten year old Granddaughter is always to be found reading a book. Anywhere, anytime, before dashing off to School, while visiting, she always has a book open. I smile because that was and is just the same as my self. I can feel the excitement that she feels when she is really lost in the world of a good story, and am happy and proud that she may have taken her book loving trait from me. Reading has been a real joy to me,and helped me through many a difficult time. I am delighted that she will have the same joy in her life.