Gransnet forums

Competitions

NOW CLOSED: Do you recognise yourself in your grandchild(ren)? Tell us and win a bundle of kids' books

(86 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 15-Jan-16 15:27:07

An expression? A mannerism? A fearless nature? A dimple? Tell us and we'll choose a winner at random to win a bundle of children's books.

Normal T&Cs apply. Competition closes midday on Wed 20th Jan.

Elrel Fri 15-Jan-16 15:51:59

I commented to DS that I especially liked a particular photo of one of his DDs. He said 'Of course you do, in that one she looks the most like you!'
I think it's her eyes perhaps.
Youngest GS shares my love of trains, which came from my own GF in the 1940s. I try to share GS's love of Space but there's so much more to it than remembering the order of the solar planets!! ?

yummygran1 Fri 15-Jan-16 15:52:24

My first GD has a very high forehead like me and my second GD has my shaped face and eyes......

Leticia Fri 15-Jan-16 15:54:14

I am not taking part as not a grandparent. I just wanted to say that I can certainly see my friends in their grandchildren- maybe it is easier as an observer. I have a friend that I have known since we were children and her granddaughter is just like her in character and looks when I couldn't see it in her own children. It always seems odd to me that some people don't like their PIL and don't see to realise they may produce a mini one!

Grannyknot Fri 15-Jan-16 16:10:36

My little grandson is only 17 months old but I recognise all of the following of myself in him: extremely laidback, sociable and loves to entertain, has a ready smile and often laughs out loud.

Maggiemaybe Fri 15-Jan-16 16:38:44

My DGS are completely different in height, weight, colouring and personality. but they've all three got dimples. And that's from me, that is! smile

annodomini Fri 15-Jan-16 17:11:16

DGD has the same interest as I have in languages, literature and mythology, though she is much prettier than I was in my teens and she seems to have boundless energy! She may also turn out to be a campaigner, judging by her opinions on feminism and politicians. Attagirl!

morethan2 Fri 15-Jan-16 17:37:22

I read somewhere that a grandmothers dna was more likely to be carried by her sons daughters ( probabily nonsense) but my lovely much loved and adored granddaughters have inherited my families hairline, wild unruly hair, same shape faces I am somtimes shocked and occasionally horrified by by how like me they are. I wished they looked like their other grandmother who is a beauty.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 15-Jan-16 17:48:06

It's such a good job I don't need a bundle of kids books because I can't see anything of me in either of my grandsons. The older one has my mother's eyes, but I haven't. hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 15-Jan-16 17:50:07

The older one is skinny, and lives on fresh air. I was like that. Once upon a time.

Jalima Fri 15-Jan-16 18:18:40

Yes, I heard that too morethan2.

Well, I won't win any books because my DC don't look like me and neither do my DGC!
My DC look like DH, although DD2 has my Dad's colouring (blonde and blue-eyed).
My DGC look like DSIL and DDIL respectively, although one has my DF's blond colouring (like DD2 who is his aunt).

confused?
Me too

joannapiano Fri 15-Jan-16 18:21:29

DGD aged 15 is skinny and a picky eater, with blonde hair, just like me at that age. Unlike me, she is nearly 5'11" and much less of a drama queen!

rosesarered Fri 15-Jan-16 18:35:30

DGS aged three is sociable and always up for a chat, just like me!

OlderNoWiser Fri 15-Jan-16 18:36:06

My five-year-old granddaughter is one of the most stubborn, independent, self-sufficient, opinionated, I-will-do-it-myself-even-if-it-takes-me-a-lifetime people I have ever known !!!

I know exactly how she feels, because that's me down to a tee grin

Galen Fri 15-Jan-16 18:58:59

My 2year old DGD, has perfected my 'don't even think about it' look to a T.
It's a bit like a very severe Paddington stare.

shoreham55 Fri 15-Jan-16 19:00:11

anecdoctally true...although all GCs have equal amounts of dna from each set of biological grandparents. Sons' daughters often resemble his family (him usually) in looks when born, and his sons often resemble his grandfather. first born daughters of daughters tend to resemble their biological mother in looks, and subsequent daughters of daughters their maternal grandmother. spot the pattern among friends' pffspring

MamaCaz Fri 15-Jan-16 19:03:41

DGD is not quite three yet, but I've recently realized where she gets her incredible determination (or perhaps stubbornness?) from blush
Actually, I didn't realize for myself - it was my own mum who out of the blue said that I have always been exactly the same!

Sadiesnan Fri 15-Jan-16 19:27:03

My first born DGD is very much like me. She looks like me and it startles me when I look at her because she is so much like me. She's also very similar in build to how I was as a child, tall and thin. I don't know what happened to me but I'm not tall and thin any more.

She's also very awkward, often wanting to do the complete opposite to everyone else. I remember my mum telling me repeatedly that I was as awkward as "Dick's Hatband". Does anyone remember that saying?

She likes swimming and I have always loved the water, she also likes baking which is a passion of mine. I absolutely adore her, she's just so special. I look at her and it's like I'm starting my life all over again.

trisher Fri 15-Jan-16 19:34:17

DGS 1 has unfortunately got my ability to forget things and is often found reading books when he has been sent to do something else. DGD is so organised and sorted at 3 and didn't get that from me! DGS2 (age 1)smiles sweetly when he is about to do something he knows he shouldn't and I'm saying nothing about where that came from.

Cherrytree59 Fri 15-Jan-16 20:15:22

My DD calls my 2yr old GS 'mini me' as in a miniture of myself. He's tall with blond curly hair like mine( of course mine out of a bottle)
I wear dark glasses as I'm light sensitive. My DGS thinks its funny to copy Gran with a pair of his mums sun glasses.
His mum says we are both very Bossy!
What Moi and my darling grandson??
NEVERwink

LullyDully Fri 15-Jan-16 20:30:46

My GD is only a tiny bit like me.

She is going to be tall and sturdy, like me At 10 she is nearly as tall as her petite mum.

Red hair not mine. Good at maths and science........unlike me.

But fascinated by humanities and good with people. Loves a good book, so that's like me.

I remember when she was just over a year bringing me a crossword and a pen to be friends. She loved matching our shoes to the correct person.

Just a mixture of everyone to be truthful and I love her for being a tiny bit like me but not too much ......... thank goodness.

cornergran Fri 15-Jan-16 21:00:27

As a child all I ever asked for at Christmas was a doll and a book. Guess was DGD2 asked for this year? Apparently we are also both stubborn - surely not? DGD1 is tall and slim, as I was. She is also a perfectionist, hating to get anything wrong. Oh dear, that one has down sides.

riclorian Fri 15-Jan-16 21:59:14

My life has revolved around dance ,I taught dance for many years . my daughter arrived and became a competitive swimmer ----My granddaughter arrived and became very involved with horses , but now my great granddaughter has arrived and joy oh joy she is my little dancer !

kezia Fri 15-Jan-16 22:14:04

My three year old grandson and I went to the local swimming pool, I'm a year round outdoor swimmer but he's a little unsure about that yet. After we'd been in the water for nearly an hour I said it was time to get out. He looked at me, totally outraged, and said 'But we're having so much FUN, Oma!'
Who was I to argue? We stayed :-)

NotSpaghetti Fri 15-Jan-16 23:31:25

One of my grandchildren is like me as he loves 'arty things' - to draw, paint, cut out and glue. Another loves reading as I always have. Another loves puddles, leaves and wind in his hair. The youngest is so young it's hard to say...
I think we notice what we are drawn to. And probably that's just as it should be.