Gransnet forums

Competitions

NOW CLOSED: win a limited edition scarf designed by Emma Greenhill and a signed copy of Les Parisiennes

(299 Posts)
KatGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 29-Jul-16 11:12:34

We're giving away a limited edition scarf designed by Emma Greenhill, and a signed copy of Les Parisiennes in hardback.

What did it feel like to be a woman living in Paris from 1939 to 1949? These were years of fear, power, aggression, courage, deprivation and secrets until - finally - renewal and retribution. Even at the darkest moments of Occupation, glamour was ever present. French women wore lipstick. Why?

In enthralling detail Sebba explores the aftershock of the Second World War and the choices demanded. How did the women who survived to see the Liberation of Paris come to terms with their actions and those of others? Although politics lies at its heart, Les Parisiennes is the first in-depth account of the everyday lives of women and young girls in this most feminine of cities.

Read author Anne Sebba's article about Parisian fashion, and tell us which was your favourite decade for fashion for a chance to win a limited edition scarf designed by Emma Greenhill, and a signed copy of Les Parisiennes in hardback.

This competition closes on 29 August at midday. Les Parisiennes: How the women of Paris lived, loved and died in the 1940’s by Anne Sebba is published by Weidenfeld & Nicolson and is available to purchase on Amazon and all good booksellers.

Ara Sat 30-Jul-16 21:07:28

that would have to be the raving seventies, the flares, the flamboyance,the freedom of expression. It was the aftermath of the sixties where anything was allowed in fashion.

GrannyGlyn Sat 30-Jul-16 22:59:32

It would have to be the 70's. I loved (and still do) floaty swirly maxi dresses but being 5' 2" it probably wasn't the best fashion choice then or now.

Lottie2tiger Sat 30-Jul-16 23:34:01

Choice of fashion for me would be sixties but my real fashion era was the 80's all leg warmers and big hair! Looking back not a great look!!

Elrel Sun 31-Jul-16 01:33:39

Has to be the '70s when I really had the feeling that I could wear anything, long or short, floaty or fitted, hippy or formal. Maybe barefoot in the city or wearing a bra on a riverside walk was going a little too far.
I'd start on hot summer days teaching in a long top/short tunic over cotton trousers and sandals in the morning. After lunch when my infants had sand, water and other activities out on the terrace I'd shed my sandals and trousers. Happy days when primary schools were such fun to be in and we could use professional judgement. And the children learned to read, and to use and enjoy books ...

Noreen3 Sun 31-Jul-16 07:49:44

I grew up in the 60s,with the miniskirts,but looking back I think the 50s fashions were nicer.The women's clothes in the 50s were so feminine, and people always dressed smartly when they went out.

carol2712 Sun 31-Jul-16 09:02:45

The 60s mini skirts and Mary Quant, lots of colour and style,now I.m in my60s wouldn't wear them now but we had some of the best best looks we dressed up and looked good, not sure I'm a fan of ripped clothes held together with safety pins and looking worn out before you get them home.

strawberrinan Sun 31-Jul-16 09:23:09

Definitely the 50s. The dresses were so pretty. I went to my friend's 50's themed party in a 50's dress and felt so feminine.

SusieCook Sun 31-Jul-16 09:53:17

I think the sixties were iconic, Mary Quant, Vivienne Westwood etc, we could dress as ourselves and not as our mothers

pattiesplum Sun 31-Jul-16 11:16:24

The sixties was when I discovered fashion and I loved it. Teenagers no longer dressed like their parents. We wore wonderful colours and accessories.

I remember wonderful trips down the Kings Road to fab shops like Granny takes a Trip and to Biba in Church Street Kensington.

Patterns of Mary Quant designs were sold by Simplicity and I made quite a few. A red one with a huge white collar was a huge favorite.

Those were the days.

harrigran Sun 31-Jul-16 11:32:13

Has to be the 60s, the lovely multi coloured mini dresses and the straight shift dresses. The advent of tights so that we could wear the shortest of skirts. The shoes with the kitten heels in every imaginable colour and handbags to match.

Nettie17 Sun 31-Jul-16 11:39:00

The 60's because of the bright colours and bold designs

alabaster Sun 31-Jul-16 13:48:04

1970s - long coats, short skirts.

Holisticrmp Sun 31-Jul-16 15:04:49

I liked the 70s Charlie's Angels style. I always wanted to be Farrah Fawcett and have her amazing hair. I tried to get the same flicks but never succeeded.

mcculloch29 Sun 31-Jul-16 15:28:46

The Seventies... the midi and maxi skirts and dresses that hid your legs if you weren't feeling confident, and the hot pants that showed them off if you were.

Striding out in my black leather platform boots that made me 6ft 2 inches tall, my Dad had bought me these to make me concentrate on how I walked, and focus on good posture to overcome unequal leg length. It worked beautifully.
I got married in white patent platforms that weren't much smaller.
My white denim jeans with a thick white lace insert on the sides, the floral waistcoat Mum crocheted for me, black velvet knickerbockers bought for 50p at a bankruptcy sale and burnt orange Oxford bags bought for a quid at the same venue. I remember them so clearly as I had so little to wear in comparison to what I own today.

Clothes were so expensive back then.
Towards the end of the Seventies I can remember buying my Mum in law a very ordinary winter weight dress for £12- not cheap, the equivalent price today would be nearly £80.

cinders59 Sun 31-Jul-16 16:02:20

I loved the 50's and the clothes Audrey Hepburn wore

BBbevan Sun 31-Jul-16 16:16:14

I was an art student / beatnik in the early 60s. Long jumpers, ski trousers, all black with a touch of colour. Still hints of that in the clothes I wear today wink

moonray Sun 31-Jul-16 16:31:59

1920s for me. So elegant, stylish and mysterious! Id happily time travel there and never come back ;-)

glamnan Sun 31-Jul-16 18:19:36

I love the 1920's/ 30's Art Deco & flapper era, lovely dresses in that era.

leemw711 Sun 31-Jul-16 18:46:03

For me it has to be the 1970s. I was a university student and it was a great adventure living away from home for the first time. I shared a flat and a social life with others from uni and it was an age of glam rock, great music, great clothes and the excitement of living in London within easy reach of music gigs, art galleries, museums and all the tourist attractions around. The recent death of the great David Bowie has revived memories of seeing him in concert at Wembley Stadium when my late husband and I were lucky enough to be given complimentary tickets. Magic!

Souperkiki Sun 31-Jul-16 19:00:55

The mid sixties were the best. I had two lovely needlecord soft suits with short skirts, one in red and black and the other green and black tiny paisley pattern. I wore them with patent chunky black heels and a white plain top, classic sixties mod look, which would still look good today. Everywhere I went people complimented me on those outfits. I wore them until they were threadbare. My friend, only 15 and self taught, made them and gave them to me as she didn't like them. I remember thinking Yippee. I never did see her again to thank her properly and tell her they were my own Sixties smash hit.

sophia1963 Sun 31-Jul-16 22:22:27

I think my fav was the 20's the outfits were out of this world, they were so chic.

muffin29 Sun 31-Jul-16 22:39:26

Love Dior's New Look so the early 50s.

lilihu Mon 01-Aug-16 10:20:51

Mid to late 70s for me. So many feminine styles to choose from. I had a collection of ankle length skirts and dresses that were so pretty!
Nowadays I always seem to be in jeans, leggings or trousers!

Dannydog1 Mon 01-Aug-16 14:33:51

The seventies- so many different styles-mini-midi-maxi and hot pants!

Lorelei Mon 01-Aug-16 15:28:42

I love the fashion of the 1950s & sixties but was too young to appreciate it - then a bit of a fashion gap until the mod-like two-tone black & white look came back in the late 1970s-early 1980s. Being petite, these mini dresses & skirts looked really good on me and showed my figure off nicely - feeling all nostalgic! lol! The music was even better than the clothes most of the time too.