Gransnet forums

Competitions

Best summer reads - win £400 of brilliant books

(239 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 13-Jun-17 16:17:13

What is summer without a good book? And when it comes to good books, we have many excellent suggestions.

Here is a round-up of some of the best new reads for the summer holidays. One very (very!) lucky person can win the lot. All the details right here

To enter simply tell us about your best summer. It can be in as many (or few) words as you like. Prize draw will be made at midday on Weds 19 July.

My best summer... Now it's over to you

Cherrytree59 Mon 17-Jul-17 13:35:41

Exams over
Blind Faith and Hope that the future was going to be wonderful

i also escaped the weekly chore of cutting my parents lawn. It was burnt to a crisp

carol810 Mon 17-Jul-17 14:20:20

I have had some fabuous summers and a few rubbish ones. The one I loved the best though is when I was lucky enough to get a move of house from a 5 bedroom house to a 2 bedroom ground floor flat. I had some mobility problems and I knew they would get worse so needed to get rid of the stairs. I was also taken away by my eldest daughter which fell when I moved so the family sorted the furniture out for me and I had a lovely holiday with my granddaughter and daughter.

jocsim Mon 17-Jul-17 14:45:32

I grew up in Zimbabwe, got married after Uni, and we had an extended honeymoon "overseas" having never been out of Southern Africa - spent a couple of idyllic months in London exploring all the places on the Monopoly board, then bought a cheap camper van and travelled around Europe till we ran out of money! Our budget was $10 a day each, it was a wonderful summer, our first in the Northern Hemisphere!

moleswife Mon 17-Jul-17 18:14:27

My best summer holiday was the the one I would remember every year since - it was the last summer holiday I shared with my husband. He had decided we would stay in the UK and go to his home county of Devon. I'm now catching up on his reading, the books he enjoyed, and finding out why - they were not my choice then but I'm finding them surprisingly diverse and so interesting, they have opened up my range of literature.

kathyd Tue 18-Jul-17 11:12:57

Why is this still being advertised on 18th July when the closing date was 19th June?

kathyd Tue 18-Jul-17 11:28:02

My first holiday abroad to Spain. My husband and I travelled to the Costa Brava on a Lambretta scooter and stayed just south of Barcelona. Our single storey hotel was right on the beach and there was a natural harbour which was bliss to swim in. Apart from the sea urchins that is which hid in the crevices of the rocks one had to clamber over to get out.
The road down into the bay was too steep and narrow for cars so the village was quite unspoilt. I'd like to go back now to see if it's changed. I doubt there'll be any high rises.

vsutton Tue 18-Jul-17 13:28:14

Gotta be 1977, so much happenend in my life, Left school, started a new chapter at college, met my future husband. Was chosen to visit Switzerland with the Guides, the Queen's Jubilee street parties, and one long hot summer before Exam results!

molly57 Tue 18-Jul-17 19:33:07

The summer I left school and started my first job.

MINERVA12 Tue 18-Jul-17 21:39:08

Has to be the year I left school. A summer of freedom before starting work, so many years ago now tho

dessa Tue 18-Jul-17 22:31:50

My best summer was taking my grandkids on various trips ...to Zoo, cinema, seaside and enjoying their company.

PinkHonda Wed 19-Jul-17 10:15:16

My best summer was when I was at school. The summers seemed to last forever. Now I blink and they're over. Although today is a cracking day too x

burwellmum Wed 19-Jul-17 12:03:52

A mark warner holiday on Lemnos. Everyone tried things they'd never tried before including me and it was so much better than we expected

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 19-Jul-17 14:39:41

We've loved reading about so many happy summer memories. The winner has been drawn at random and we are delighted to say that the recipient of this fabulous prize is... charleygirl

Huge congratulations and look out for an email heading your way shortly