Gransnet forums

Competitions

Win a £100 M&S voucher and 4 'Senior Moments' books! **NOW CLOSED**

(328 Posts)
LauraGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 04-Dec-17 12:11:16

We've teamed up with Bonnier Publishing to give you the chance to win a £100 M&S voucher and four hilarious titles.

Most of us have had a ’senior moment’, whether it's calling your child by the wrong name (us, often) or returning from the supermarket without the one item you specifically went in for (oh, us again. Frequently).

But it seems that these things happen to the best of us and that's certainly borne out by Senior Moments, a hilarious new book series collating the best of award-winning greeting card illustrator Tim Whyatt’s cartoons depicting the highs, lows, laughter and indignities of later life.

To be in with a chance of winning an M&S voucher and copies of Senior Moments: Ageing Disgracefully, Christmas, Love & Marriage and Uncensored, tell us - what's your funniest 'senior moment'?

The Senior Moments series is out now and available to buy from WHSmith.

Please post your entry below by midday Monday 18 December.

Usual T&Cs apply.

cathyov Mon 18-Dec-17 09:00:21

Of course I knew where I had parked my car in the supermarket car park but....! You know that feeling you are convinced someone has moved it as you look at the sea of cars that suddenly all look the same? I am sure my next car will have to be a bright neon colour so I do not have to trail up and down looking for it and then retrieve my trolley from the customer service lady who looks at me very sympathetically and makes me feel at least ten years older!

lindseylofty Mon 18-Dec-17 09:02:24

Sprinkling the lemon meringue pie not with sugar, but salt!

paulineb Mon 18-Dec-17 09:10:03

I always wear a tatty quilted coat when I go down to the rabbit. When I pick him up he always chews it and pulls the stuffing out. One morning I went down to see to him and then forgot to change it and went to work in it! I wondered why everyone was giving me strange looks.

star100 Mon 18-Dec-17 09:18:39

When I answered the home phone with my work company greeting!! The person thought they had the wrong number!

leanfun Mon 18-Dec-17 09:37:59

Out in the cold the other day I put my hand in my pocket for my gloves and my son pointed a sock had fallen out on the floor.

Tammyjoe13 Mon 18-Dec-17 09:46:50

My mom has a lot of these moments #embaressed would you like some bock bock a chicken she ment x

emziemay Mon 18-Dec-17 09:50:45

So many but I have forgotten most! blush This week I went out with friends for Christmas lunch, arrived home about 6pm. Thought I would take my make up off and get comfy and put my pjs on. Next minute I am cleaning my teeth thinking I am going to bed - it was only just after 6pm!

louisep8260 Mon 18-Dec-17 10:27:13

I recently made fairy cakes, they tasted terrible! and I realised I had added salt instead of caster sugar!!

cuddlebunny Mon 18-Dec-17 10:30:57

I got so many.

Putting a dinner plate in my handbag instead of the sink then going to the shop wondered why my bag was heavier than normal. Luckily it wasn't very dirty.

Loosing my glasses & searching high & low for them only to find them on top of my head

melaspurt Mon 18-Dec-17 10:35:23

I was walking up to the shops a few months ago, and it wasn’t until I was half way there that I suddenly realised I still had my slippers still on! I forgot to put my shoes on before going out!

minilynn3 Mon 18-Dec-17 10:54:23

I have a part time job in a shoe shop and I started work as usual one day and the end of my shift was getting close after four hours of work when a little girl came in with her mother to have her feet measured. After measuring her feet we chatted about the shoes and she pointed at my name badge and said It's upside down! None of my work colleagues or adult customers had pointed this out to me and I was so embarrassed that I had not realised earlier! I double check it now each day!

mwmummy Mon 18-Dec-17 11:20:45

Well, It has happened a few times now but the most embarrassing time was a few days ago at Waitrose. I got into the passenger side of the car instead of the drivers side, put on my seatbelt and was waiting to go - I was there alone and meant to be driving lol

Samparkes Mon 18-Dec-17 11:21:43

Last year I booked tickets to take my daughter to London. Was getting my bag ready an checking train tickets to realise we should have gone that morning Doh!! Ended up having to go a few weeks later but still lost the £25 for the tickets. Was gutted and has to be my worst faux pah.

ScodieHo Mon 18-Dec-17 11:37:09

I once attempted to get into someone else's car in a supermarket car park. Identical coour and model to mine. I couldn't understant why it would not unlock! mine was parked a few spaces away. Very embarrassing!

babyroo Mon 18-Dec-17 11:52:40

I filled up with petrol and walked to my car and got in. I sat for a moment and looked down at the passenger seat where there was a little girl looking up at me. I had only got into the wrong car. I was mortified, luckily the rightful car owner found it hilarious.

MaggieMay69 Mon 18-Dec-17 11:56:20

Every weekend I take my youngest DGD to town, we have breakfast, look in the shops, and always enjoy the bus home with our little bits and pieces, and we always sing Old McDonald had a Farm when we pass the Old Farm I used to live at, and we'll point out the animals together.
So, I was doing this the other day on an impromptu trip to town, saying "Oooh look at the Moo-Moo's, Old McDonald will be feeding them some lunchy soon!'
When I realised DGD wasn't with me, I was completely alone with two lads sat behind me grinning.
They obviously thought I was terribly mad! My DD laughed so much when I told her.

chrismse1 Mon 18-Dec-17 11:58:23

Playing the trivial persuits game my question was ` what does the royal yacht Britannia turn into in times of war?`

my senior moment answer was `A submaraine1` I have never been able to live it down lol.

Jess9887 Mon 18-Dec-17 12:43:00

I once got in the wrong car. I came out of the shop and got into what I thought was my daughters car. The man in the driving seat was very surprised but found it very funny xx

Parsley Mon 18-Dec-17 12:50:25

I have recently filled in a 6th form application for my son and after no response from the college asking for references to his school, I double checked the online form and found I'd put an extra number in the email for the referee and worse than that, I have no idea how my son was down as female on the form. All I can guess is that there must have been a pull down box that I missed or a tick box that I clicked the screen in the wrong place. When I saw the messed up application I felt like I'd lost my marbles and had to phone up to get it all corrected.

maureenm48 Mon 18-Dec-17 13:06:36

Walking to the car park after having lunch with a friend,she said "Oh is that your new car?" "Yes,"I said But when I tried to open the car the remote wouldn't work - then i realised it wasn't my car at all - just a similar one.(Mine was about 5 yards away!!)
Too embarrassed to admit my mistake I just stood at the side of the car waving saying,"See you".As she turned and walked away I dashed to my car and drove away hoping nobody (especially the car's owner) had noticed a mad woman trying to get into one car then quickly driving off in another.

rocketriffs Mon 18-Dec-17 13:39:20

Going off to the supermarket to do a food shop and wondering why the card payment machine wouldn't accept my bank card. I'd taken my mobile phone top up card instead. Doh!!

noynoyavery Mon 18-Dec-17 14:01:24

Gosh every day. Going through kids names end up using he cats. Forgetting to put my pants on once recently, thought it was a tad breezy! Buying clothes 3 times too big as I had lost weight and forgotton lol

kayleigh39 Mon 18-Dec-17 14:11:50

my daughter bought me microwaveable slippers - i was distraught when she caught me trying to put the whole slipper in the microwave! She informed me its just the insert that gets heated - not he slippers!

cjh123 Mon 18-Dec-17 14:29:50

My senior moment was when I opened a passenger car door in the supermarket car park got in and kissed a man sat in the driving seat. The car although completely similar was not ours, the man was not my husband. I dont know who was more embarrassed or shocked x

straysuzi Mon 18-Dec-17 21:24:03

The latest was this morning when i made my hubby get out of bed as i had found that the cat had peed in the back bedroom on the carpet ... what he found was one of black pop socks fallen out of the washing basket on the floor!