Gransnet forums

Competitions

Win a £100 M&S voucher and 4 'Senior Moments' books! **NOW CLOSED**

(328 Posts)
LauraGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 04-Dec-17 12:11:16

We've teamed up with Bonnier Publishing to give you the chance to win a £100 M&S voucher and four hilarious titles.

Most of us have had a ’senior moment’, whether it's calling your child by the wrong name (us, often) or returning from the supermarket without the one item you specifically went in for (oh, us again. Frequently).

But it seems that these things happen to the best of us and that's certainly borne out by Senior Moments, a hilarious new book series collating the best of award-winning greeting card illustrator Tim Whyatt’s cartoons depicting the highs, lows, laughter and indignities of later life.

To be in with a chance of winning an M&S voucher and copies of Senior Moments: Ageing Disgracefully, Christmas, Love & Marriage and Uncensored, tell us - what's your funniest 'senior moment'?

The Senior Moments series is out now and available to buy from WHSmith.

Please post your entry below by midday Monday 18 December.

Usual T&Cs apply.

Tizliz Mon 04-Dec-17 21:33:38

I never have senior moments ?? but my OH is a different matter. We had bought a new loft ladder then moved to a bungalow so he said that was a waste of money as we wouldn’t need it in a bungalow

jacko64 Mon 04-Dec-17 23:08:47

my senior moment is when my youngest was in secondary school, id put his carrier bag with his P.E stuff ready for the following day on the kitchen unit, i then also put the chicken carcass from sunday dinner in a carrier bag on the kitchen unit,guess which one he took to school!!!!!

galadrial Mon 04-Dec-17 23:41:41

When we were in New York a number of years ago with my oldest son and staying with my cousin who lives in New York. We went to visit Liberty Island, before we left we visited the gift shop where my son was looking for little gifts for his friend. I found some rubbers with Pictures of the statue of liberty on them. I called my son and said they have some rubbers here and my cousin said, no you mean they have erasers, I hadn't realised what I had said, but everybody else did.

Marydoll Mon 04-Dec-17 23:43:14

I had just bought a new car and went to the supermarket after work. I got back to the car and pressed the key fob. Nothing happened, I tried again, nothing happened. By this time I was beginning to panic about what I was going to do with the trolley load of shopping. I kept walking around the car, trying all the doors. The trolley boy, (who happened to be one of my ex pupils) came up and tapped me on the shoulder. "That's not your car", he said. " Your car is in the other car park, I saw you parking it there!" blush

SheenaBatey Tue 05-Dec-17 08:17:02

Signing my maiden name and I have been married twice since then!

bikergran Tue 05-Dec-17 09:03:54

Coming downstairs before it was light and talking to my black cat......then realising it was my pair of black boots! dohhh.

lemongrove Tue 05-Dec-17 09:10:02

I have had quite a few senior moments over the last few years, but the most embarrasing one was at a party.A group of us were chatting merrily, glass in hand, when a new ( to us) couple came to join in, and I introduced myself and then
Said “and this is my DH “ ( who was stood immediately behind me)..........only it wasn’t! My DH had wandered off and a male friend had taken his place, he looked very discombobulated, we all laughed, and I explained the mistake, saying “ no, this isn’t my DH, this is ...... and I couldn't think of his name! we had known him for at least ten years. blush

purplepansyem Tue 05-Dec-17 09:57:11

I once went into a shop with my 2 daughters to buy a toilet seat. The guy behind the counter looked at me for a moment before pointing out (rather sarcastically) that I was actually standing in an electrical shop. My daughters have never let me live that one down.

Friday Tue 05-Dec-17 10:27:21

Went supermarket shopping with DH just last night. He had the trolley but unbeknownst to me had wandered off it it while I was examining the choice of red wines. After a careful inspection I chose a couple and put them in the nearest trolley saying ‘that should see us through a few cosy nights in’.
‘That’s the best offer I’ve had in years’ said the owner of the trolley. Only then did I look and see it was a completely different male with his own shopping in his own trolley.

Red with embarrassment I retrieved my wine and scuttled off to find DH and tell him off for deserting me. All he could do was laugh.

Lindylo Tue 05-Dec-17 10:50:53

My mother in law dashing around the kitchen filling the kettle and saucepans with cold water. Apparently the electricity was going to be turned off for a couple of hours. Not sure how she thought she was going to make a cup of tea with no gas supply in the house!

otherwiseknownasGrandma Tue 05-Dec-17 11:36:11

DD left her phone here the other day so I rang her to let her know. Said phone then started ringing. Duh!

smith106 Tue 05-Dec-17 12:17:26

When my daughter made me laugh so much I nearly wet myself

shysal Tue 05-Dec-17 12:27:03

When the day for applying my cats' flea drops comes around I always warm the pipettes (so that they are oblivious to them) by tucking them inside my bra for a while. I sometimes forget they are there, and on one memorable day I went for my breast screening. I removed them in the changing room but was left with an imprint on each breast! I had to explain, and raised a laugh!

Liz46 Tue 05-Dec-17 13:12:54

Last Christmas I bought some gold ear rings for my grand daughter. When it came time to wrap my presents I was unable to find them and over several days emptied cupboards, accused my husband of moving them etc. This year, I went to my 'Christmas stuff' to get some cards out and there were the ear rings on full view.

hulahoop Tue 05-Dec-17 13:33:38

We had been to the coast on the way home we parked in a lay-by to have a drink of cola I was chatting to oh opened bottle and starting pouring into oops no glass !

Chevlette Tue 05-Dec-17 13:47:35

I complained to my husband I couldn't find my reading glasses so I'd had to use my spares & now I'd even managed to misplace them. He looked at me oddly & patted the top of his head. Sure enough both pairs were perched on my head all the time!

SusanCh Tue 05-Dec-17 14:34:08

My daughter had put a load of washing in her machine but had to dash out before she could set it going. I was going to her house to drop some stuff off, so she phoned and asked me if I'd put the machine on for her. I arrived at her house, took all the (dirty) washing out of the washing machine, put it in the tumble dryer, set it going and went home. I've never lived that one down.

Galen Tue 05-Dec-17 15:18:30

My mother discussing two fighter planes colliding over Germany
‘ the pilots were lucky, they had time to ejaculate first!’

Another time talking about the cooling towers on the Wednesbury Wolverhampton road
‘ during the war, they were so well camouflaged that if you shut your eyes, you couldn’t see them!’

GranEd Tue 05-Dec-17 15:52:34

I asked for a book of second hand Christmas stamps in the post office recently. tchconfused

hellymart Tue 05-Dec-17 16:25:56

I was in M&S with a friend and I spotted a lovely tall glass on the shelf. "That would do for my G&Ts," I said. My friend nearly doubled up: it was a VASE!

Wimpet Tue 05-Dec-17 16:30:04

I took my coat off the coat peg at home forgetting that it was hanging on a wooden coat hanger. I then walked to town and it wasn’t until my husband walked ahead of me that I realised I had a large coat hanger threaded through the belt of my coat.

Isis1981uk Tue 05-Dec-17 20:32:09

I'm only 36 so really just the usual running upstairs to get something, getting sidetracked by washing, and then forgetting what I came for!

luckyrose62 Tue 05-Dec-17 20:43:54

Putting the powder and softener in the washing machine. Setting it off Then looking at the pile of clothes next to it, realising I had not put the washing in

elfies Tue 05-Dec-17 20:57:28

Agreeing to do a talk at a museum 30 miles away six months in advance ,
Came the day, I'd spent two days preparing, and my husband drove me to the venue , rushing because we were late , only to find we were a whole week early .

Charleygirl Tue 05-Dec-17 21:40:05

I was going out for lunch with friends a couple of months ago. I heard the car arrive, looked out and it was theirs, I was ready, I hopped in the front seat to discover the car belonged to my neighbour's nephew who must have wondered if I had totally lost it. I moved very quickly. My friends arrived soon after and they laughed when I told them what I had done.