Gransnet forums

Competitions

Win a gorgeous flower bouquet and a copy of The Good Menopause Guide by Liz Earle **NOW CLOSED**

(280 Posts)
estergransnet (GNHQ) Thu 08-Mar-18 09:55:11

To celebrate the publication of Liz Earle’s brand-new lifestyle book, The Good Menopause Guide, we’re giving away 10 copies - plus one lucky winner will also receive a gorgeous bespoke flower bouquet worth £100 from award-winning English flower farmers and florists, The Real Flower Company.

The Good Menopause Guide is Liz Earle’s ultimate guide to looking and feeling your radiant best throughout menopause, and is filled with guidance on diet, how to balance hormones, myths and facts about HRT and much more. With it, her goal is to empower women to embrace menopause and start conversations about their experiences as, for many, it can be a very difficult time.

So, for your chance to win, tell us - what is your top tip for feeling your best during menopause?

The Good Menopause Guide is published by Orion Spring and is available online and from all good booksellers.

Please post your entry below by midday Thursday 5 April.

Usual T&Cs apply.

Larsonsmum Fri 06-Apr-18 10:06:39

I took Black Cohosh - never had a hot flush ever!

DimensionAEB Thu 05-Apr-18 23:52:29

Cooling pads, exercise and get professional help if needed.

babyroo Thu 05-Apr-18 22:23:04

I practice yoga which has eased a lot of my menopause problems and relieved my menopausal stress & anxiety. I use cooling pads on my head at night which helps with menopausal headaches and night sweats xxx

Cherrytree59 Thu 05-Apr-18 18:08:08

Thought I should mention that I believe the competition has closed.sunshine

karen203 Thu 05-Apr-18 18:05:16

Fans to keep you cool and the good healthy diet.

newfield Thu 05-Apr-18 18:03:18

accept it for what it is, every bodies different, seek help if you need it

grands Thu 05-Apr-18 16:47:33

I would say :- Be prepared i.e. Aim to access up to date information. Take Care of yourself. Remember to have Rest periods, Eat Well (Nutritionally) and make use of Sleep Hygiene guidelines.

RAZZLEDAZZLE Thu 05-Apr-18 12:20:16

I have really suffered with panic attacks, hot flushes and low self esteem. My husband has been great, can’t take HRT. So hopefully this book would make all the difference. Egyptian cotton sheets are great in bed.

AJL123 Thu 05-Apr-18 11:52:30

Try not to be self conscious about being hot and red as that makes it worse!

GeorgeW Thu 05-Apr-18 10:49:44

Get outside as much as possible (walking, gardening or even just sitting in your garden with a book), it lifts your mood and helps with temperature control!

noynoyavery Thu 05-Apr-18 10:47:20

Cotton nighties and natural remedys (sage) help me..that and an understanding hubby, surrounded by people who love me. Always had trouble with my periods right from he get go. Now hey hardly even boher me, but the hormones pm ad hot flushes are horrid!

Lisapaige24 Thu 05-Apr-18 09:59:36

Ice packs and lots of them and good loose cotton clothing you can buy especially for menopausal ladies

emziemay Thu 05-Apr-18 09:45:09

Definitely layers. I don't think I have ever worn so many cardigans!

lorrainej162 Thu 05-Apr-18 09:09:02

Layering of clothing, drinking water through the day and light weight duvet on bed at night. I've not really had any problems, other than minor flushes, so I've been fortunate.

cathyov Thu 05-Apr-18 09:06:28

Top tip is keep a good sense of humour - if you get stressed everything seems worse, especially the hot flushes!

dkpcrox Thu 05-Apr-18 09:02:13

Meditation, yoga and drinking more water and less coffee help me enormously. I also make up some citrus water spritz to help me cool down quickly, I found the best place to spray them was my neck.

millymoo1971 Thu 05-Apr-18 08:25:40

Have a fan next to my bed for those hot flushes

joannec1234 Thu 05-Apr-18 07:45:26

I started early with symptoms at 38, I'm now 45 and have just started HRT which has made me feel better than I've felt in years! Prior to this, I recommend layers of clothes that can be whipped off in an instant when the hot flush starts, but my worst symptom was the anxiety, which has completely gone now I'm on HRT, the best thing for the anxiety was to reduce caffeine and make some time for yourself

MrsVincent01 Thu 05-Apr-18 06:20:27

During the menopause, its even more important to eat healthier, plenty of fruits and veggies. These will help maintain a good weight and may help prevent bone loss and cut the risk of heart disease, both which can occur following the menopause.

Dodo123 Thu 05-Apr-18 06:03:20

A fan and to talk about it. Cool bedding.

BeausMomar Thu 05-Apr-18 00:40:45

The Menopause. This must surely be one of today's last taboo subjects. I am very short on older female relations and had no idea what was in store. For me "The change" bought hormonal swings: depression, an inability to concentrate and such low self esteem that set about a chain of events such that my life changed beyond recognition. I understand that many women don't experience extreme symptoms but seven years on and aged 57 I feel angry, frustrated, dismayed. that such lack of understanding exists today. Sometimes the conversation opens up the subject and eventually I am drawn in and I share some of the struggle. The really sad thing is that too often another woman will "whisper" her relief in finding that she isn't the only one. I remember, once, a manager [she was about forty] had been listening and she told me that she had been thinking of dismissing a colleague because she appeared to have become "incompetent". She declared that "it all made sense now" and that at the start of the week she would, instead, discuss what support or change might be useful. It's good to see that the media seems to be opening up discussion about The Menopause. Good Luck with the book.

VSTOCKLEY45 Wed 04-Apr-18 23:34:01

Take oil of primrose eat plenty of fruit veg and healthy foods a exercise even if it's just a walk it really helps

blue25 Wed 04-Apr-18 23:05:39

Diet played a big part for me. Low fat, high protein, no alcohol.

chadders Wed 04-Apr-18 22:38:54

I turn my radiator valves down so I am cooler in bed. I have a glass of iced water on my bedside cabinet. Also a supply of chocolate and cheese on hand.

Dawnmf1969 Wed 04-Apr-18 22:35:23

Prior to my hysterectomy in November i was taking black cohosh from Holland and Barrett and it really did help with symptoms of menopause, especially the hot flushes. Im now on HRT and its great, it keeps all my symptoms under control.