Gransnet forums

Competitions

Win a gorgeous flower bouquet and a copy of The Good Menopause Guide by Liz Earle **NOW CLOSED**

(279 Posts)
estergransnet (GNHQ) Thu 08-Mar-18 09:55:11

To celebrate the publication of Liz Earle’s brand-new lifestyle book, The Good Menopause Guide, we’re giving away 10 copies - plus one lucky winner will also receive a gorgeous bespoke flower bouquet worth £100 from award-winning English flower farmers and florists, The Real Flower Company.

The Good Menopause Guide is Liz Earle’s ultimate guide to looking and feeling your radiant best throughout menopause, and is filled with guidance on diet, how to balance hormones, myths and facts about HRT and much more. With it, her goal is to empower women to embrace menopause and start conversations about their experiences as, for many, it can be a very difficult time.

So, for your chance to win, tell us - what is your top tip for feeling your best during menopause?

The Good Menopause Guide is published by Orion Spring and is available online and from all good booksellers.

Please post your entry below by midday Thursday 5 April.

Usual T&Cs apply.

BBbevan Thu 08-Mar-18 12:02:26

I had a hysterectomy at the age of 35, but kept my overseas. I can honestly say that with a low dose of HRT, and no periods to worry about, I sailed through the menopause. My DD on the other hand is having a torrid time with hot flushes and heavy periods. Her GP has suggested a course of chemical injections ( sorry can't remember what) These are about to finish, so we hope she will have a better time afterwards.
DD does not want to take HRT as she would still have periods. But we shall see. Here's hoping all goes well

lemongrove Thu 08-Mar-18 12:13:11

My tip for feeling good during the menopause is to keep as cool as possible, cardigans and a top rather than a jumper which you can’t take off easily.No tight clothes, and in warmer weather as floaty as possible.All cotton sheets on the bed, and drink lots of water, instead of a caffeine drink and very little alchohol.It certainly helped me.smile

BBbevan Thu 08-Mar-18 12:57:11

Ovaries ( overseas my foot !!!)

gillybob Thu 08-Mar-18 17:20:50

I agree with lemongrove decal different layers of clothes that you can take off /add rather than one bulky item.

Also a good fan for the bedroom . I couldn’t live without my Dyson friend . It’s very quiet too .

gillybob Thu 08-Mar-18 17:21:29

decal ??? Several !

acavinue Thu 08-Mar-18 18:47:09

Just this morning I had Dr appointment. I was prescribed HRT . I ordered Liz's book & it arrives tomorrow, but would dearly love to win it for my colleague at work who is also having a hard time with her symptoms. My key tips for coping are: layers always dress in layers. Keep cool. Spritz with Liz Earle instant boost tonic. Eat healthy & exercise oh & HRT

Cherrytree59 Thu 08-Mar-18 19:01:46

I also go with the layering of clothes.

A top sheet on the bed is helpful when the quilt is just too much due to hot night flushes.

Menopausal sleeplessness has quite a detrimental affect on my well-being
grumpy, short temper Gran
I have found my amazon kindle a boon.
I set the timer and either listen through an ear piece to a mindful guided meditation or an audible book.
Nine times out of ten I fall asleep until the next hot flush that is!sad

florencef1 Thu 08-Mar-18 19:21:36

HRT no doubt about it !

Flowerpower22 Thu 08-Mar-18 19:22:44

I'm 56 and slap bang in the middle of hot flushes and insomnia. My best tip is to avoid caffeine and wine, both of which seem to result in increased night sweats.

Gerispringer Thu 08-Mar-18 20:11:18

Treat yourself to some good quality bed linen and change it frequently, lovely to lie in some fresh cotton sheets. Turn the radiator off in the bedroom and open a small window at night. Keep a bottle of water by the bed.

phoenix Thu 08-Mar-18 20:39:18

If you are lucky enough to have a thoughtful husband, it helps!

When I was having a bad time with hot flushes, on my birthday (in early August) I received 2 beautifully wrapped retro style fans, one for the kitchen, one for the bedroom.

They really helped, plus as others have said, wearing layers.

gillybob Thu 08-Mar-18 21:55:44

Oh how I wish I could have HRT . My younger sister takes it and says it has transformed her life. I can’t take it sadly due to other health problems sad

bobble5 Thu 08-Mar-18 22:34:13

HRT, good diet including good fats

Elrel Fri 09-Mar-18 01:05:45

Don't be coy about the menopause. I was upfront about hot flushes to the point that my class would start opening windows as 'You've gone red again, Miss!' So thoughtful of them!
I never quite followed the advice of a pantomime dame who confided to the audience 'I'm having the change of life when the hot flushes come I just blow down my blouse!'

granofone Fri 09-Mar-18 03:20:08

I made sure I had lots of fruit and vegetables and cut down on caffeine.It helped to leave my bedroom window open at night.

tabbaz Fri 09-Mar-18 06:31:10

Me Time - Hormones really are a nuisance during the Menopause and even self-reasoning doesn't work very well! Take lots of Me time and time to reflect to try to balance yourself..

pamelaJEAN Fri 09-Mar-18 07:13:04

I had hot flushes , the only thing that helped was fans in every room , they even supplied me one at work, layers of clothes so you can remove a layer if you get a flush, and I had to sleep with my bedroom window open.

sophie56 Fri 09-Mar-18 07:15:19

I take isoflavones which help a little but as the type of menopause you have is supposed to be partly genetically determined it is really about managing. I am a severe insomniac so I listen to audio books which is a joy, I became largely vegan so eat loads of fruit, veg, nuts and seeds etc. I also have large and small fans in every room and one sprays water too which is wonderful. When I have crashing exhaustion I focus on what needs to be done and ignore the rest, it took me years to stop ironing bedding, t-towels etc without feeling guilty!

dogs1 Fri 09-Mar-18 08:04:49

I try to reduce my caffeine intake and replace this with herbal tea, wear layers to more easily control temperature and make time each day for a walk and reading.

glenka Fri 09-Mar-18 08:56:56

Wearing layers is the best idea and also keep a water spray with you to freshen you up.

janeyf Fri 09-Mar-18 09:01:27

Having quality 'me time' so as to be able to relax, take menopause supplements and keep the bedroom cool with black-out blinds, window open and a fan on

sloan Fri 09-Mar-18 09:18:01

Yoga exercises really help.

shysal Fri 09-Mar-18 09:18:27

Use cooling gel pads in the bed.

glammanana Fri 09-Mar-18 09:36:57

I endorse the layering of your clothes and make sure they are all cotton no man made fibres for me.
Always have a fan in the bedroom fixed on my pillow area so am cool all night.
I had an easy menopause after having a hysterectomy in my early 40's due to ovarian cancer and having HRT inplants for 2 yrs after, changing to tablets since then.
Make people aware of your problem and they are very understanding.
Always carry a spritzer sray with you for unexpected glowing faces it works wonders in an emergency.