Gransnet forums

Competitions

Win a copy of Philippa Gregory's Dark Tracks *NOW CLOSED*

(259 Posts)
LauraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 23-Aug-18 09:34:46

Is your grandchild an avid reader? You're in luck! We're giving away 15 copies of Dark Tracks by bestselling author Philippa Gregory (best known for her novel The Other Boleyn Girl), ideal for young readers aged 12 and over.

More details on the book HERE and T&Cs HERE. We will be picking a winner at random after 11am on 6 September.

To enter simply tell us... What was your favourite book as a child/young adult and why?

You must be a registered Gransnet user to enter. Sign up to Gransnet HERE.

And don't forget to sign up to our newsletter to get the latest competitions delivered straight to your inbox...

bbdiva1977 Tue 04-Sep-18 19:55:31

Twins at St Clare's serious they were so naughty

AnnaSSS Tue 04-Sep-18 19:57:32

The Neverending Story by Michael Ende.I loved this book!!!

Kittyme1 Tue 04-Sep-18 20:22:26

I loved reading the Secret Seven by Enid Blyton, I'm sure there are some copies stored away in the loft. Think I might just send hubby to bring them down.

Veronicahorman Wed 05-Sep-18 02:55:42

I loved the historical novels by Margaret Irwin. Unfortunately they are now out of print, I would love to reread them - they introduced me to different eras and gave me a lifelong love of history.

Jill2Gillian Wed 05-Sep-18 06:24:51

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
by L. Frank Baum. I loved the film and was surprised that the book was very different but even better, it is a book that I read several times in my childhood.

tonycarbone Wed 05-Sep-18 06:32:15

I read all of the Biggles books!

karen203 Wed 05-Sep-18 10:17:47

I used to be an avid reader of Enid Blyton. Loved the Famous Five Advenures in particular! Enjoyed ‘joining in’ with their adventures.

avery64 Wed 05-Sep-18 10:24:58

Grandma taught me to read before I started school using some Noddy books she bought at a jumble sale. Once I could read by myself I graduated to any Famous Five or Secret Seven book I could get hold of in the library often reading them several times over. Money was too tight to own books. How times have changed. I now have a dedicated library in my home.

Isis1981uk Wed 05-Sep-18 10:25:58

I always loved Back Home by Michelle Magorian, it made me cry every time I read it!

GRANOFOUR Wed 05-Sep-18 11:01:45

I have always loved books and I must have read so many as a child so it is very difficult to choose a favourite. But, if I had to choose then I think my favourite book as a child would have been The Magic Faraway Tree by Enid Blyton. This book just fires the imagination and it was lovely to think that there were such friendly creatures living in this magical tree and so many different worlds up there to explore. Even as an adult I still love this book.

snare Wed 05-Sep-18 12:14:06

I loved tom's midnight garden as a child - it was magical smile

susanm3456 Wed 05-Sep-18 12:23:18

Any Famous Five book by Enid blyton!! Pure Escapism

NYorks123 Wed 05-Sep-18 15:06:05

Arthur Ransome's Swallows & Amazons. Kids having freedom in the countryside and making up great adventures.

Maggiemaybe Wed 05-Sep-18 15:19:39

So many to choose from, and most of them mentioned on here! One that has stuck with me, so much so that I bought an old copy when I saw it on ebay a couple of years ago, was The Girls' Book of Heroines by Arthur Groom. So many inspirational tales of derring-do, from Grace Darling to Charlotte Corday. We based many a school playground game round that book. smile

PeanutHog Wed 05-Sep-18 15:48:53

To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee - I read this and wrote an essay of it at the age of 13. This book opened my eyes to racial inequality and crime. I learnt so much reading this book.

SylviaP Wed 05-Sep-18 18:18:03

My favourite book was the Magic Faraway Tree by Enid Blyton. I loved the different characters who lived in the tree and the different lands that appeared at the top

Carolann99 Wed 05-Sep-18 18:18:40

I loved Alice's Adentures in Wonderland. I was captivated by her magical adventures and thet creatures & characters she met. I had a wind-up Jabberwocky toy I enjoyed playing with - our cat was very wary of it though"

GreatBigHoo Wed 05-Sep-18 18:20:24

I really loved the St Clare's books by Enid Blyton. I always hankered after a tuck box and a big trunk with my name on!

mackemprincess Wed 05-Sep-18 21:15:35

I loved rapunzel because I was obsessed with having extra long hair and yes that is the only reason I was drawn in!

Busywomanuk1 Wed 05-Sep-18 21:41:50

Any famous five book by Enid Blyton

russams Wed 05-Sep-18 21:52:08

Watership Down.....book will always be better to film for me, read as a child, re-read as an adult.

susie77 Wed 05-Sep-18 21:58:41

My favourite was Animal farm I thought it was fantasticly fasinating the relationship between the animals and a superb story relating to communist rule

boxfords Wed 05-Sep-18 22:00:52

It was always a close tie between Enid Blyton's Faraway Tree and L. Frank Baum's Wizard of Oz.

DimensionAEB Wed 05-Sep-18 22:02:00

I used to love the Faraway Tree books from Enid Blyton so much as a child. Full of great adventures and crazy characters!

quizgirl Thu 06-Sep-18 00:26:26

Jane Eyre was my favourite as I just loved the story.