Gransnet forums

Competitions

Win a copy of Philippa Gregory's Dark Tracks *NOW CLOSED*

(259 Posts)
LauraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 23-Aug-18 09:34:46

Is your grandchild an avid reader? You're in luck! We're giving away 15 copies of Dark Tracks by bestselling author Philippa Gregory (best known for her novel The Other Boleyn Girl), ideal for young readers aged 12 and over.

More details on the book HERE and T&Cs HERE. We will be picking a winner at random after 11am on 6 September.

To enter simply tell us... What was your favourite book as a child/young adult and why?

You must be a registered Gransnet user to enter. Sign up to Gransnet HERE.

And don't forget to sign up to our newsletter to get the latest competitions delivered straight to your inbox...

Susangilley Thu 06-Sep-18 16:20:42

Hope I am not too late. I just loved Enid Blyton's Famous
Five books especially, Five Fall into Adventure. My two little granddaughters now, are reading and loving them.

ngc4725 Thu 06-Sep-18 10:55:39

My favourite was Smith by Leon Garfield. I was enthralled by the life of a young pickpocket in 18th century London. It had a kind of dark and mysterious excitement that enthralled me as a young child

bigcol1 Thu 06-Sep-18 10:35:38

I have always lobed reading so I have many fav books, but I do remember one in particular. It was called "Tom's Midnight Garden". I can even remember the cover now. It was a paperback and the scene was a house I think and the cover was a sort of greeny black like the dead of night. I loved that book and read it many times. Funnily enough tho, if you asked me what it was about these days, I'm not sure I would be able to tell you. The memory fades as you get older doesn't it? I remember I also had a complete set of the "Little House on the Prarie" books by Laura Ingalls Wilder and loved them as well. I don't think I got rid of either until I had to move years later but as I say, I was an avid reader anyway and always have been - BIG COL1

dijon Thu 06-Sep-18 10:06:48

Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery

MrsVincent01 Thu 06-Sep-18 10:00:21

My favourite book was the Narnia series by CS Lewis. I loved the concept and the characters and the fact their were loads of books to read

crosscat12 Thu 06-Sep-18 08:18:51

The wind in the willows I loved to read what was happening on the river bank and what toady and ratty were doing about it

Mummyb23 Thu 06-Sep-18 07:29:47

The books i use to love was the famous five books I use to love reading them, and day dreaming I was in adventures with them.

TwiddleDee Thu 06-Sep-18 01:14:09

My favourite book as a child was The Faraway Tree by Enid Blyton as it Captivated me with magical wonder all the way through.

quizgirl Thu 06-Sep-18 00:26:26

Jane Eyre was my favourite as I just loved the story.

DimensionAEB Wed 05-Sep-18 22:02:00

I used to love the Faraway Tree books from Enid Blyton so much as a child. Full of great adventures and crazy characters!

boxfords Wed 05-Sep-18 22:00:52

It was always a close tie between Enid Blyton's Faraway Tree and L. Frank Baum's Wizard of Oz.

susie77 Wed 05-Sep-18 21:58:41

My favourite was Animal farm I thought it was fantasticly fasinating the relationship between the animals and a superb story relating to communist rule

russams Wed 05-Sep-18 21:52:08

Watership Down.....book will always be better to film for me, read as a child, re-read as an adult.

Busywomanuk1 Wed 05-Sep-18 21:41:50

Any famous five book by Enid Blyton

mackemprincess Wed 05-Sep-18 21:15:35

I loved rapunzel because I was obsessed with having extra long hair and yes that is the only reason I was drawn in!

GreatBigHoo Wed 05-Sep-18 18:20:24

I really loved the St Clare's books by Enid Blyton. I always hankered after a tuck box and a big trunk with my name on!

Carolann99 Wed 05-Sep-18 18:18:40

I loved Alice's Adentures in Wonderland. I was captivated by her magical adventures and thet creatures & characters she met. I had a wind-up Jabberwocky toy I enjoyed playing with - our cat was very wary of it though"

SylviaP Wed 05-Sep-18 18:18:03

My favourite book was the Magic Faraway Tree by Enid Blyton. I loved the different characters who lived in the tree and the different lands that appeared at the top

PeanutHog Wed 05-Sep-18 15:48:53

To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee - I read this and wrote an essay of it at the age of 13. This book opened my eyes to racial inequality and crime. I learnt so much reading this book.

Maggiemaybe Wed 05-Sep-18 15:19:39

So many to choose from, and most of them mentioned on here! One that has stuck with me, so much so that I bought an old copy when I saw it on ebay a couple of years ago, was The Girls' Book of Heroines by Arthur Groom. So many inspirational tales of derring-do, from Grace Darling to Charlotte Corday. We based many a school playground game round that book. smile

NYorks123 Wed 05-Sep-18 15:06:05

Arthur Ransome's Swallows & Amazons. Kids having freedom in the countryside and making up great adventures.

susanm3456 Wed 05-Sep-18 12:23:18

Any Famous Five book by Enid blyton!! Pure Escapism

snare Wed 05-Sep-18 12:14:06

I loved tom's midnight garden as a child - it was magical smile

GRANOFOUR Wed 05-Sep-18 11:01:45

I have always loved books and I must have read so many as a child so it is very difficult to choose a favourite. But, if I had to choose then I think my favourite book as a child would have been The Magic Faraway Tree by Enid Blyton. This book just fires the imagination and it was lovely to think that there were such friendly creatures living in this magical tree and so many different worlds up there to explore. Even as an adult I still love this book.

Isis1981uk Wed 05-Sep-18 10:25:58

I always loved Back Home by Michelle Magorian, it made me cry every time I read it!