Gransnet forums

Competitions

Win a Roberts radio and a copy of The Double Dangerous Book for Boys *NOW CLOSED*

(1001 Posts)
NatashaGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 11-Nov-19 14:43:08

To celebrate the release of The Double Dangerous Book for Boys by Conn Iggulden, we've teamed up with HarperCollins to offer one lucky gransnetter the chance to win a Roberts Revival radio worth £159.99 and a copy of the book.

More details on the prize can be found HERE and T&Cs HERE. We will pick a winner after 11am on 11th December.

To enter simply tell us... What childhood game, project or activity do you look back on most fondly?

You must be a registered Gransnet user to enter. Sign up to Gransnet HERE if you haven't done so already.

And don't forget to sign up to our newsletter to get the latest competitions delivered straight to your inbox...

--

The thread is getting close to 1000 posts - the maximum number we can have on a thread - so we've made a new thread for when this one is full which you can find here. grin

heavensjoys Sat 07-Dec-19 10:37:54

I have very fond memories of playing hopscotch in the street with all my friends who lived there. We also played in the fields opposite for hours and hours, only coming home for dinner and tea. We all looked after each other. How times have changed.

Tony12 Sat 07-Dec-19 08:14:35

Scrabble

blahblahblah1 Fri 06-Dec-19 22:09:48

I loved playing outdoors, building dens and climbing trees and playing tag around the village

VickyH1965 Fri 06-Dec-19 21:58:16

making flower displays from our grandparents garden

LizzieAnn Fri 06-Dec-19 21:10:23

Used to play a mean game of ludo with my sister!

Sarahrroberts Fri 06-Dec-19 20:33:11

Checkers was a favourite - being taught by my family and the feeling when I first beat my dad!

Babyruth Fri 06-Dec-19 19:48:39

Monopoly.
All the family played and sometimes we carried on the same game for days.

Leah100 Fri 06-Dec-19 19:43:43

I have fond memories as a child, going to the local farm to collect the Christmas turkey with my parents where I grew up in the country side.

Smiley31 Fri 06-Dec-19 18:47:09

French Skipping in the playground. I must have spent hours tying countless elastic bands together. Good memories.

Turtlecat Fri 06-Dec-19 16:38:58

What time is it Mr Wolf, Hot Rice, and Statues

carocon Fri 06-Dec-19 16:24:57

I have wonderful Christmas memories playing Happy Families card games and dominos with my granny!

kircubbin2000 Fri 06-Dec-19 16:19:58

Fishing in rock pools.

Evette123 Fri 06-Dec-19 16:18:59

Playing scrabble with my dad. I loved it especially when we had a power cut and had to use candle light.

yardby5 Fri 06-Dec-19 14:47:40

As a child growing up in the late 50s /early 60s the newly acquired television was a wonderful thing. ‘Robin Hood’, Ivanhoe’, ‘The Buccaneers’ all fired the imagination and were acted out in the streets where we lived but the favourite was ‘Wagon Train’. I was one of five children as was my best friend. Daily Major Adams (her big brother) would tell us to saddle up & hit the trail. So we did - on bikes, scooters, roller skates or home made trolleys, younger siblings were pushed along in prams (wagons). Throughout that summer when every day seemed to be hot & sunny the wagon train rolled along till we reached our destination (always the same) the garden of a big old house. There would be told to circle up. Word of this great game spread & after our midday meal we would emerge to ever growing lines of children patiently waiting to be told to hit the trail. Greater numbers made us bolder & soon we were crossing shopping streets with bemused drivers waiting for the last wagon to pass. Our circling up at the end of the trail became more ambitious too as children from a neighbouring estate became aware of our presence in the garden of the big house & attacked us with clods of earth so naturally we circled up inside a ring of babies in prams & gloriously routed our foes. I don’t know what the poor babies thought of it, hopefully they remember nothing of it but I do, I’m 72 now & I can honestly say that it was the best game & the best summer holiday.... Ever.

MJM123 Fri 06-Dec-19 13:45:38

I used to love the game of SHOC. It was a card game with Spades, Hearts, Diamonds and Clubs and it was to do with the stock market and had Bulls and Bears. I was about 9/10 years old at the time. I believe the game was for adults but I so loved it. I don't know what happened to the game. It was very old when our family used to play it. Sadly, my parents don't remember it. Does anyone else remember it?

patricia33 Fri 06-Dec-19 13:24:13

Hopscotch, such an easy game to play...find yourself some paving slabs something flat you can throw then away you go, oops...forgot chalk to mark the slabs.

chrissie4 Fri 06-Dec-19 12:06:26

We were lucky, and had a lot of outdoor space we spent our time building dens and climbing trees and just playing outdoors that way we learned a lot about nature and the seasons.

janeparry39 Fri 06-Dec-19 10:27:56

I grew up in a small village in a little cottage surrounded by farm fields. In the winter my brother would make some very scary sledges we would go off sledging in the fields going down quite a large hill as I remember it but going back now to visit the old house as an adult it turns out it was only a slope!
Come summer time those same sledges (if they survived the winter games) would have wheels added and turned into go-karts and again we would tackle the hill/slope. I know I couldn’t do it now it was terrifying.
We lived next to a canal so rafts would be made using old oil drums with planks tied on with rope!! many times I have fallen in that canal then we would have competitions to see who could get across the canal the quickest whilst paddling like mad.
The canal was used by barges and where so many of our rafts sank the barges would tilt up then down as if they were going up and down a hill! So many happy memories and how we survived was a miracle. ?

Countryfan Fri 06-Dec-19 09:37:02

Climbing the trees in the garden and dad having to rescue me. I probably could have climbed down myself but it was a fun game watching dad get the ladder to rescue me.

Looking back at photos, I was very small. I doubt that any parent would allow such a game these days.

Nannilyn Fri 06-Dec-19 08:56:30

I loved Skipping by myself or with friends , we skipped our way through many rhymes & Happy hours at Playtime at school, Standing on my head was a close second (that may explain a lot) & games like Jacks & Marbles

Sackm Thu 05-Dec-19 22:42:18

Knocking on people's doors doing a survey for school ha ha.

bookmark58 Thu 05-Dec-19 20:05:19

I remember almost every girl in school playing skipping rope games and elastics.

brendanelson1 Thu 05-Dec-19 19:46:53

Making daisy chains on a sunny day with my cousins on holiday.

Geordienanaannie Thu 05-Dec-19 19:32:57

Making mud pies in the garden and pretending that I was preparing dinner for my dolls. I'd end up filthy dirty with a trail of mud left behind but my parents never complained and as Dad was a chef I think they thought I was just attempting to copy him and let me get on with it.

jrhymer Thu 05-Dec-19 19:23:18

Skipping! We all used to take our skipping ropes into school and we played at every playtime & lunchtime.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion