Gransnet forums

Contact the elderly

Dreading Sundays and Bank Holidays

(39 Posts)
onlymee123 Wed 06-May-15 02:21:12

I wonder how many other widowed pensioners feel like me on Sundays and Bank Holidays, I do not drive and when my husband was alive he took me everywhere. When I moved to this village seven years ago, it was really nice, we had a village shop where we could go and get the Sunday Paper and odd bits of shopping even sit outside and enjoy a coffee on a sunny morning we also had a Sunday Bus Service, sadly 3 years ago the shop closed, and this year the Sunday Bus Service went, Taxis charge extra for Sundays making it £15 each way just for me to go to Town, where sometimes there are special events on Sundays and Bank Holidays, but for me and plenty of others who don't drive, its impossible to get there reasonably unless we want to walk the 4 mile each way. I thought of having a coach trip out on a Sunday but of course have to get to Town to get the coach. They call this progress, I have no family near me and have really come to dread Sundays.
I wish I could get a pill to send me to sleep on a Sunday and wake up on Monday or in the case of Bank Holiday, Tuesday. They call this a Free Country maybe it is, but only for Car Drivers I feel. I guess they call this progress.

Galen Fri 08-May-15 13:27:13

Well I've solved Xmas by booking (surprise, surprise!) a cruise! I'll be on the Queen Victoria going to the Canaries. I'm back for New Year but that's not so bad I find.

Charleygirl Fri 08-May-15 15:08:20

That is something really nice to which you can look forard. The weather in the Canaries at that time of year is gorgeous- wall to wall sunshine.

MariClaire Sat 09-May-15 07:09:51

I wish I lived closer so I could pick you ladies up and head for town! I wonder onlymee123 about starting a simple little gathering yourself? A coffee klatch for like-minded church and other friends (with better transport options) to come to you on so-called holidays. flowers

Galen I always enjoy your enthusiasm for the holiday cruise. Don't forget your pearls smile.

NotTooOld Sat 09-May-15 11:42:36

janerowena - re your idea of going to church on a Sunday in order to see some friendly faces - I think I would do that if I was on my own. I know people here who go to our village church for that very reason, yet cheerfully say they are 'not believers'. The service lasts about an hour and after that they have coffee and biscuits at the back of the church. It all sounds quite sociable. Perhaps it is no longer thought necessary to be a true believer in order to take advantage of the Sunday goings-on?

janerowena Sat 09-May-15 12:31:07

Nottooold don't tell anyone - but I have a few vicar friends who quietly admit to not believing in God! grin I was shocked at first, but I count quite a few from various places we have lived in, as my friends, and DBH's parents are strongly involved in the church, as was DBH for many years. He and DS were both cathedral choristers.

I have asked many a clergyman over a glass of wine about their beliefs. It seems that when they were young, they did believe, but after a while they saw it as a way to bring comfort and peace and stability to those who need it, a chance to do good, provide a place of safety and welcome to those who felt fear and anxiety in a mad world, and to try to guide people's moral behaviour in some cases. My own vicar here is lovely, and holds discussions on philosophy once a week in her house! You would never know that any of our team here were vicars, they are all bonkers and all have other jobs as well. Anyone (new male curate) being too pious soon gets their pomposity pricked, but humourously. I don't go to church all that often, usually because I have been roped in to sing in the choir on special occasions and DBH plays the organ on occasion, but they are central to our village life, organising all sorts of lovely events.

contactteas Mon 11-May-15 11:50:26

Hi,

I am really sorry to hear that you feel like this. At Contact the Elderly we find lots of people find Sundays particularly difficult and that is why we organise free Sunday afternoon tea parties for people who are over 75, live alone and don’t have much family and friends nearby.

One Sunday afternoon a month, our volunteer drivers enjoy taking their older guests to a volunteer host’s home where they join a small group for tea, talk and companionship.

The group is warmly welcomed by a different host each month, but the drivers remain the same and the groups are kept small so that everyone can join in easily and get to know each other properly.

It’s a simple idea, but one that can make a big difference. Our friendship groups represent the perfect opportunity to get out of the house, make new friends within the local community, and generally brighten up a weekend.

If you are interested in volunteering or becoming a guest please give us a call on 0800 716 543.

Granne72 Tue 12-May-15 11:40:21

I moved from a rural location with no bus service into a small town . It has given me a new lease of life , I have joined groups which i can walk to and if i feel the need to see someone , i can just walk to the local shops or a cafe and usually see someone i know.
I know this is not possible for everyone but it does solve the infuriating 'lack of buses' problem.
However i still can't return here on public transport from the nearest city after about 9.30 pm!

cg Mon 01-Jun-15 21:01:37

I have just been to a meeting hosted by Contact The Elderly where a number of us have arranged to hold tea parties for elderly people who are isolated and lonely. Perhaps they are active in your area.

friends123 Fri 05-Jun-15 13:44:23

All bank holidays are really drudgery periods-best avoided if possible. thesilverline a good port of call in bad weather.

friends123 Fri 05-Jun-15 13:47:09

An excellent idea.

friends123 Fri 05-Jun-15 13:56:43

Some go to Church just for a walk
Some go to laugh,some to talk
Some go there for speculation
Some go there for observation
Some go there to meet a friend
Some the tedious hours to spend
Some to learn the Parson's name
Some go there to wound his fame
Some go there to meet a lover (!?)
Some go there new fashions to discover
Some go there to doze and nod
BUT FEW GO THERE TO WORSHIP GOD

friends123 Fri 05-Jun-15 13:59:01

Even (St) Paul said somewhere "....help thou my unbelief"

friends123 Fri 05-Jun-15 14:01:22

Only prayer meetings/bible studies with our Clergy (+ a bunfight of course)