Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Pandemic panic

(509 Posts)
vampirequeen Mon 02-Mar-20 13:18:37

Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I've heard the corona virus isn't a very pleasant illness but then it's not the worst illness either. Seems to be a fever, aching and a cough. Most people who get it will recover but like all illnesses a few won't.

So why the panic? I vaguely remember the Hong Kong flu....mainly because my mam got it and my Grandma came to look after her and us. Mam must have been really ill to ask my Grandma for help. I remember she was in bed for what felt like ages but was probably only a few days. I don't remember mass panic, schools closing etc. I wasn't very old at the time and my memory isn't as good as others. Was there a panic? Did the nation go into shutdown?

Fennel Thu 19-Mar-20 19:36:17

ps this is the website. for N&S Tyneside.

Fennel Thu 19-Mar-20 19:32:50

Could this group help you and your father , Gilly?
Nextdoor Digest <[email protected]>

NfkDumpling Thu 19-Mar-20 18:04:22

Is there a ‘Next door’ on-line group near your dad Gilly? The one here has had several people offering to do shopping and drop it off outside doors.

Our local independent supermarket too will take phone call orders and deliver them free to about a mile radius while the emergency is on.

maddyone Thu 19-Mar-20 14:56:52

I think you’re being very kind gilly and you are an inspiration. Thank you.

gillybob Thu 19-Mar-20 14:40:47

It is a little "estate" on its own Calli . A Close of around 40 bungalows. I am trying to help a few of my dads immediate neighbours where I can .

maddyone Thu 19-Mar-20 14:36:21

Callistemon
Yes, blinkered I think, and stubborn. Both of them. We’ve had a further conversation on the phone today because earlier my sister asked me what she should do. She’s sleeping on the settee at Mum’s, aged 70. We advised go home as soon as possible to your own home and then self isolate. Our adult children will pick stuff up for Mum. Mum was adamant on the phone, sister is staying till at least next week! Sister has clearly been influenced by Mum. How selfish is that, my mum will put her own daughter at risk because my mum wants to see her.

Callistemon Thu 19-Mar-20 14:30:18

If the people were living locally it's a pity they couldn't cook and deliver a meal to them, knock and leave it on the doorstep.

gillybob Thu 19-Mar-20 14:28:02

If there is I can't find one Calli The little centre was a lifeline for some of these people but they closed it on Tuesday . I rang the SS earlier today who told me they would try and get information out ASAP . Its not good enough.

Callistemon Thu 19-Mar-20 14:16:42

Yes, that is understandable - is there a good neighbour scheme online gillybob.

I'm surprised the hot meal system has closed - some people are delivering meals to vulnerable elderly.

gillybob Thu 19-Mar-20 13:42:29

Sadly some older people do not have anyone to shop for them. There are a few in my dad's little Close. I tried and failed to get a few basics for them yesterday and the little day centre they relied on for a hot meal is now also closed. Poor people.

Callistemon Thu 19-Mar-20 13:38:06

I'm not sure if it is that some don't understand, maddyone but that some people are just very stubborn.
Or deliberately blinkered.

Summerlove Thu 19-Mar-20 13:27:49

I love the slogan May!

I just don’t get the head in sand mentality.

May7 Thu 19-Mar-20 07:20:54

I agree summerlove I think our young ones are doing amazingly good things to help the older generation. They are often called Snowflakeor woke terms that really anger me. When in fact the are usually standing up for something that the older generation just tolerated. I include myself in that category. I see the young ones around me doing all they can to help to help older people to self isolate with “random acts of kindness” I hear people on the radio say I’m very fit and healthy why should I isolate? I must stop listening to Jeremy —whine— Vine Well, yes but it’s not always about YOU is it. Keep safe isolate
I just made up that slogan I think I’ll patent it quick before a spin dr claims it ?

Summerlove Thu 19-Mar-20 01:26:00

I think a lot of it is bravado. They will knuckle under when they have to.

But that time has passed. Yet, here we are. People complaining about the inconvenience, people still at pubs.

People will not do what’s best for all. We are seeing that in those refusing to socially distance! Those in their 20s/30s/40s/50s are doing it fo protect the older generation, and so many just act as if it’s their god given right to do as they please.

Can’t say I blame those who are doing their best for wondering “why bother”

maddyone Wed 18-Mar-20 23:56:47

May7 this the problem, ignorance. My own 70 year old sister travelled the length of the country on public transport, despite governments advice to avoid unnecessary travel. I had spoken to her to try to dissuade her, but she was adamant that that she was coming to see our elderly mother, who lives in a sheltered apartment near our home. We agreed to pick her up from the station and delivered her to Mum’s flat. My daughter, a doctor, was very cross with us because we did that, because she told us self isolate at the weekend as we both take high blood pressure tablets and I have asthma. But we picked my sister on Monday afternoon. Anyway my sister is going out shopping every day and then going back to Mum’s very small flat. Our adult children have offered to pick things up for them, but no, out she goes. I have expressed concern by text several times but just get told ‘stop worrying.’
My point is that my own mother and sister don’t understand the risk, so how many others don’t understand? This ignorance is what helps spread the virus.

May7 Wed 18-Mar-20 23:24:24

I went out yesterday to the shop for milk and I was astonished to see a group of about 30 ramblers all of a certain age congregating on the village green. They had all the gear on but some of them could barely walk. When I got back into my car the group were piling into a small cafe so Monica bravado? ignorance? or just pure bloody mindedness?

Callistemon Wed 18-Mar-20 23:19:45

They were rationing at our supermarket and quite right too. There were no eggs, flour or porridge but we have a farm shop not far away so we were lucky to find them there (not porridge).

The supermarkets say they are stocking up as fast as they can, so if they ration everyone it should be better shortly.

Good luck, that is kind of you gillybob, with everything else you have to do.

gillybob Wed 18-Mar-20 23:10:55

What about the older people who have no one to shop for them?

I have tried and failed tonight to shop for a few older people in my dads close . I got a few bits but no eggs, bread, loo rolls, milk ........ I mean for gods sake what are they supposed to do ?

M0nica Wed 18-Mar-20 21:46:28

Joelsnan I think a lot of it is bravado. They will knuckle under when they have to.

Joelsnan Wed 18-Mar-20 21:41:17

I am still seeing/hearing older folk say that they will ‘take their chance’ with this virus.
If this is their wish then maybe they should sign a disclaimer saying they should not be taken to hospital if they become seriously ill allowing those who were needy of the bed through non selfish reasons to receive treatment.

M0nica Wed 18-Mar-20 21:33:50

micm47 What do you mean there is STILL not a vaccine ?

This virus has only been in existence for 4-5 months. It is a entirely new virus, not like any other, as you yourself say nothing like flu, so previous vaccines cannot be adapted.

What makes you think that doctors and researchers can just conjure up a vaccine just like that. It took several years to develop a vaccine for Ebola disease and that had a fatality rate of 90% to begin with. You are denigrating our scientists, who in this case have already got 2 different vaccines to the human testing phase already, but it will be many months before they know whether it is safe and got the production facilities to mass produce it.

Now more than ever we must focus on the "we" rather than the "me"... What do you mean? I have seen no signs of the head in the sand attitude you mention, nor of people being selfish and self-centred over this disease. The occasional one, perhaps, but the vast majority are willingly doing everything asked of them and thinking of others.

Callistemon Wed 18-Mar-20 21:09:26

I did not type immature!!

I typed 'in store' [relating to the equipment]

Callistemon Wed 18-Mar-20 21:06:51

We all realise that this is not flu, micmc

They do not have enough of many things because this is unprecedented.

Do you realise that NHS beds does not mean beds, it means keeping staff and all else involved per bed on the payroll, immature, who may never be needed in normal circumstances.

Jane10 Wed 18-Mar-20 20:16:47

Yes this antibodies test sounded a very positive step forward.

Greeneyedgirl Wed 18-Mar-20 18:32:38

With regard to testing for the virus it seems that they are only doing this at present for those admitted to hospital, but have plans to test more, including I think front line staff.
I don't think they've had enough testing kits.
What the PM did say is that they are hoping soon to start testing for antibodies in those that have probably had the virus, and are likely to be immune, and can therefore return to work.