Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Volunteering in school

(9 Posts)
TATT Tue 17-Mar-20 14:12:43

I volunteer a couple of days a week in a local primary school, helping out with crafts and listening to reading. I enjoy it, but am thinking that perhaps I should stop going in during the current climate. I am obviously in close proximity to the children. I’m in my mid-60s and have a granddaughter at the same school.
May I have your thoughts, please?

Calendargirl Tue 17-Mar-20 15:02:35

I go in to primary schools also, but our organisation has instructed us not to do so now. The volunteers are nearly all in the vulnerable age category.
A friend who is chair of governors at two schools says schools are not encouraging any non essential visitors.

AGAA4 Tue 17-Mar-20 15:14:36

May have to stop going in TATT but it is a shame

grannyqueenie Tue 17-Mar-20 15:31:22

Same here calendargirl, sad not be able to do this but if I’m not seeing my own grandchildren I can’t really go into a school environment. Strange times for us all

TATT Tue 17-Mar-20 15:31:37

Ah - thank you very much Calendargirl and AGAA4.
I’ll speak to the school shortly.

TATT Tue 17-Mar-20 15:33:49

They are indeed, grannyqueenie

Ellianne Tue 17-Mar-20 16:46:47

Schools seem to be a law unto themselves. My husband is a schools' inspector and is being asked to go into schools. Most of the inspectors are retired Heads in their late 60's, it doesn't make sense.

TATT Wed 18-Mar-20 11:00:06

I spoke to the Headteacher yesterday and was asked not to come in.
That certainly does seem odd, Ellianne when they are trying to reduce the number of visitors. It must be because they are on official business.

BBbevan Thu 19-Mar-20 05:47:17

I volunteer at a Primary school. I spoke to the head at the beginning of the week and said I won't be in for the foreseeable future. Now of course schools are to be closed from tomorrow.