Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

How are you celebrating special occasions if you can't meet up?

(17 Posts)
SadafGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 18-Mar-20 13:54:15

As it looks like social distancing/self-isolating will become the new normal for now, it seems we will need to find new ways to celebrate special occasions such as birthdays, anniversaries, Mother's Day etc If you have any creative ideas or things you've already tried, do share them here. Whether it's online parties or video get togethers (or anything else), we would love to hear your ideas on how to mark milestones while keeping safe.

Fiachna50 Wed 18-Mar-20 14:28:37

We just aren't doing it. We will text, phone each other etc. We usually have all the family at Easter, chances are my family will be working - alot. So Easter Sunday dinner is cancelled.

knickas63 Wed 18-Mar-20 14:41:46

Expecting a Quiet Mother's Day. My OH Birthday and my DGS birthday in a few days as well. Grandchildren are in isolation. we will do a proper celebration for the littleone when it's over. Luckily, he is only two -so won't really care - but we are all sad about it. We will be Facetiming each other.

Tangerine Wed 18-Mar-20 15:45:10

Not bothering.

Oopsadaisy3 Wed 18-Mar-20 15:51:05

Face time, for DD 1 and GCs as they live a few hours away,
DD 2 lives a couple of miles away and will come round and sit in the driveway or , if it’s sunny, in the garden, we can sit indoors and shout to her!

if it is wet , then she will FaceTime as well, not ideal, but better than nothing

SadafGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 19-Mar-20 09:16:45

We've decided on a 'virtual tea party' with my brother who is overseas, mum and dad up north and me in London. We'll be doing a 3-way video call and sitting down with cafe and cupcake at the same time

Chewbacca Thu 19-Mar-20 09:29:44

It's my birthday on Saturday and Mother's Day on Sunday and we'd booked a table for all the family for Saturday lunchtime but we've cancelled it. I'm in my 60s and still working part time, albeit from home, and I have no health issues at all, however my DS is a chronic asthmatic and so we've agreed telephone calls only. It will be a lonely birthday!

vegansrock Thu 19-Mar-20 10:00:29

My son has set up a "google hangout" (no, me neither) in which we can have a group video meeting with all the family on Sunday. He also says he went to a virtual pub last night - not sure how that works either.

SalsaQueen Thu 19-Mar-20 13:00:06

My sons are coming here for dinner on Sunday, but we won't get to see the grandchildren - they live with their mother, not our son - so it will be pretty quiet.

fiorentina51 Thu 19-Mar-20 13:28:27

We hope to celebrate a friend's significant birthday later in the year. She's going to be like the queen and have 2 birthdays.
There are a couple of other celebrations which have been postponed due to the virus, I'm thinking of organising a big party when all this is over.

TerriBull Thu 19-Mar-20 14:20:11

Just not doing it, will speak to children on phone, under the circumstances MD isn't really that important. Probably not going to have a get together at Easter either. Grandson's birthday follows on soon after that,usually I make a cake when he comes here soon after the actual day and we have a little family celebration whilst he opens his presents from this side of the family, but sadly won't be doing that either, hopefully postponed though. Life as we know it is on hold for everyone, it's no good getting hung up about missed celebrations. We have booked to go away for husband's birthday later in the year, not holding out much hope for that either, we just mentally have to let these things go and hope everyone comes through this terrible time.

glammanana Thu 19-Mar-20 14:26:52

This Mothers Day was cancelled back in December when my lovely John died,we had booked to go to our favourite restaurant as we would have been celebrating our 45th Wedding Anniversary yesterday and wanted the family altogether sadly not to be.
Possibly later on in the year.x

WOODMOUSE49 Thu 19-Mar-20 16:23:40

Daughter's 50th birthday. She was coming to us in Cornwall from Manchester area in a week.

Will do Facetime as we have today

silverlining48 Thu 19-Mar-20 17:10:00

glammanana so very sorry and all good wishes for your and Johns anniversary yesterday. flowers

hondagirl Fri 20-Mar-20 02:25:46

Its my 70th in a couple of weeks. Also my daughter's, sil and granddaughters birthday during April. Also the first year anniversary of my husband passing away. I am in Australia, my son in Europe and my daughter and family in New Zealand. I had a flight booked to go and spend the month of April in New Zealand and all kinds of celebrations planned. This now won't be happening, so I have decided to ignore my birthday. I don't want to go out to a restaurant. I shall spend a quiet day by myself on my husband's anniversary. Unfortunately my 8 year old granddaughter is devastated that I can't join her and she also won't be having a party. She had to miss out last year as well as it was overshadowed by her granddad passing away. Its really hard for the kids to understand.

glammanana Fri 20-Mar-20 12:51:11

silverlining Thank you so very much,I spent the day on my own I requested a day to myself with my thoughts and memories it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be x

silverlining48 Sat 21-Mar-20 08:46:57

Well done am glad you were ok.