Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Workmen during pandemic

(8 Posts)
Curlygirl Wed 18-Mar-20 16:53:22

Getting very stressed. My husband and myself have been isolating ourselves since last weekend as we are in the “vulnerable” group. The worry is there is a problem with our boiler which has left us without heating or hot water for a day or so. We have already had 2 visits from them since Sunday and now they have to come back on Friday with a replacement part. The boiler is in a walk in cupboard in our kitchen. We asked them to wear gloves which they do and keep their distance. After each of their visits we wash all surfaces they touch with hot soapy water then spray with antibacterial spray and use an antibacterial air spray to spray inside the cupboard as we have to go into the cupboard if the boiler goes out. I am finding it very stressful. Any advice please.

Labaik Wed 18-Mar-20 17:08:44

I'm due to have my burglar alarm serviced on Tuesday and am thinking of cancelling. I mean; don't need a burglar alarm as not going anywhere! Had the annual boiler service on Monday. Put bucket of hot water, soap and towel in the kitchen meaning to ask the engineer to wash his hands, then chickened out and didn't. Wish I knew what was the best thing to wash surfaces with. You must have your boiler working so I don't think you have a choice really, but I understand your concern.

Auntieflo Wed 18-Mar-20 17:46:48

Curlygirl, I hope you soon get your boiler fixed.

Is all the spraying and wiping with Anti-bac products any good?

Covid19 is a viral illness, not bacterial.

Just asking, before I get shot down.

EllanVannin Wed 18-Mar-20 17:56:31

Zoflora is an anti-virus disinfectant as well as bacterial believe it or not, smells better than Dettol around the home.

vegansrock Wed 18-Mar-20 18:40:37

We’ve got a decorator coming on Monday. I would like to cancel but OH says he is self employed so needs the money, we can ask him to use separate toilet and clean it afterwards and we can go in the garden or separate room when he is here. So I’m still expecting him here for 2 or 3 days.

Missfoodlove Wed 18-Mar-20 18:51:14

Curlygirl I think you have taken enough precautions relax!
I have a friend without a spleen the advice he has been given basically encompasses all you have said re cleaning.
Your boiler is essential.

SueDonim Wed 18-Mar-20 18:55:23

I’m due to have our bedroom decorated (can move into a spare room) and also have a new bed delivered and the old one taken away. What to do? confused

Oopsadaisy3 Wed 18-Mar-20 18:56:26

We’ve got bathroom tiles falling off of the walls, but it can wait, noone is getting in, unless they’ve self isolated for at least a week.