Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

'Virtual' babysitting

(9 Posts)
SadafGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 23-Mar-20 14:35:04

Hi paulinelr did you manage to track the website down? If not, perhaps someone can suggest sites they've used with their grandchildren?

paulinelr Sat 21-Mar-20 11:10:10

I need to help my daughter by entertaining her 4 year old. I did find a website that facilitated simple online games to play online with young children but I cant find it again. Can anyone help?

SadafGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 20-Mar-20 13:22:45

FranA could you video call her and read to her? I've been video calling my 3-year-old niece every day to give her mum a break - we play a ghost game where one of us puts a blanket over our head and the other one acts like they are terrified grin We managed 30 minutes last night (until I needed a break!)

FranA Fri 20-Mar-20 12:50:54

I have a 4 year old granddaughter and Mum is trying to work from home. Mum really needs her to learn how to entertain herself. Has anyone got any ideas on how I do that remotely.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 20-Mar-20 09:41:56

Oh JackyB - I used to love those! More than my real dolls if I remember. Had completely forgotten about them. If you find any please let me know where from so I can get some for my daughter. smile

JackyB Fri 20-Mar-20 09:37:34

I have made a video for my DGS in the US, showing him how to make a paper aeroplane. It'll keep him out of his Mum's hair for 8 minutes. To my DGD I am sending letters with pictures to colour, and will follow up with songs, poems, jokes, recipes and things to make and do. Anything that will fit in an envelope. I wonder if I can find a kiddies' comic with those cut-out dolls with cut-out clothes like we used to have.

SadafGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 19-Mar-20 23:18:12

Hi GrannyLaine sorry if the OP wasn't clear - no, we mean in terms of helping out by keeping the children occupied while their parents work. For example, by reading them a story via video call.flowers

GrannyLaine Thu 19-Mar-20 19:07:00

I don't understand why this thread refers to 'babysitting'. Surely that is impossible? Are you just asking about staying in touch with grandchildren?

SadafGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 19-Mar-20 17:03:59

With schools closed and so many people working from home now, many parents are struggling to balance work and childcare. We've come across a lovely thread on Mumsnet (see here) where a poster is 'virtually' babysitting their grandaughter by video call while her mum is working from home. Whether it's via a facetime tea party or online gaming, we'd love to hear about ways you're managing to help with childcare while staying safe.