Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Birthday friend is self-isolating

(33 Posts)
Nata Fri 20-Mar-20 09:11:23

My friend is back from her trip (she went to the USA) and now she is self-isolating. Her birthday is right around the corner and she says she doesn't want any party or anything of that kind even later, when her self-isolation is over. I still want to get her something but what could be a good online gift? I thought about an audio-book but I'm afraid I won't guess correctly if she will like some new book and I don't want to get her the audio version of the books she had already read, do idk. Any ideas?

Patsy70 Sat 21-Mar-20 06:33:47

Yes, I think you should buy something online, Nata - wine, Amazon vouchers, flowers, plant, chocs - she'll be delighted, I'm sure. We have five family birthdays in April - my OH and our grandson, both on the 1st (5 years old), our granddaughter on the 5th (16 years old - been working hard for her GCSEs sad), our other grandson (8) and another granddaughter (14). I have a friend who is a very talented artist and she will be painting cards for them and we've ordered online gifts. There'll be a big family celebration when this crisis is over!

grannybuy Sat 21-Mar-20 00:58:44

I received a Hotel Chocolat goody bag today, sent via Amaon. A Mother's Day gift. I told the Hermes man that I couldn't recall ordering anything. He said, " Oh well, it'll be a nice surprise then ". It was!

IslandGranny Fri 20-Mar-20 22:42:56

I gave my mother in law a subscription to a sudoku puzzle magazine for Christmas. She looks forward to each one coming and phones me up to tell me her progress with the puzzles. I wish I had thought of this years ago. Now we are all “at home” I was thinking I might treat myself to one!

M0nica Fri 20-Mar-20 19:00:27

Flowers.

northernfi Fri 20-Mar-20 18:49:41

If you’ve got a favourite small business that also sells online, then why not get your friend a special gift and support them at the same time?
I’ve just stocked up on lovely cards from The Purple Gallery purplegallery.com/ in Bournville, Birmingham, and recently bought a beautiful pendant for an 18th birthday gift - was very tempted to keep it for myself! x

AGAA4 Fri 20-Mar-20 16:15:44

A birthday cake from Bettys of Harrogate

Flytothestars Fri 20-Mar-20 15:51:25

Amazon voucher!

Edithb Fri 20-Mar-20 14:06:45

Bloom and Wild letter box flowers are beautiful and you get £10 off your first order.

Kim19 Fri 20-Mar-20 13:28:50

An IOU for a future lunch/dinner/theatre outing of her choosing. Something to really look forward to.

delaney Fri 20-Mar-20 13:28:31

A Devon Hamper is lovely to get. My Scottish relatives love it
when I send a special cream tea. Yummy ! smile

travelsafar Fri 20-Mar-20 12:13:11

A box containing essential food items and of course loo rolls. Maybe a bottle of her favourite tipple too and flowers.

Googes41 Fri 20-Mar-20 12:04:27

A bottle of gin and lots of different flavour tonics!

Madmaggie Fri 20-Mar-20 12:00:21

A voucher for a posh afternoon tea for two. They're good for manymonths and she might take you smilebrew

rowanflower0 Fri 20-Mar-20 11:57:25

I have just bought this as a birthday gift - to be posted direct:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Animal-DIY-5D-Diamond-Painting-Embroidery-Cross-Craft-Stitch-Art-Kit-Home-Decor/253

it is a simple craft, very easy, even for older children, and gives a great sense of achievement.

NotSpaghetti Fri 20-Mar-20 11:17:28

Does she have a garden?
Something nice for it if so.
A new kneeling pad, some new gloves or one of those great carry- stuff about bags?
Alternatively, I can recommend some fantastic secateurs - the Fiskars Bypass Pruner - I can't believe how lovely these are for a right-handed person with arthritis! They have a really smooth action and as you apply pressure there is a turning movement in the handle so no repetitive strains or blisters etc. They seem to add to the pressure you apply too and altogether it just makes these pruners so easy to use! I bought a mid-price pair. About £17 I think but there are a few in the range.

Purplepixie Fri 20-Mar-20 10:52:55

Bunny17 that’s a great idea for my friend as I know she used to do a lot of cross stitch. I’ll have a look on Amazon and see if I can find any kits as I don’t want to venture out anymore for the time being. Stay safe.x

bunny17 Fri 20-Mar-20 10:49:32

Cross stitch if she likes sewing.

Purplepixie Fri 20-Mar-20 10:43:17

It’s my birthday next week and also my best friends birthday the day before mine. So far I have sent her some flowers via Interflora and also sending her an Amazon voucher. I will miss seeing my kids and grand kids but we all have to do this.

BlueBelle Fri 20-Mar-20 10:41:04

Yes I ve had three grandkids two 17 s and one 19 all in the middle of all this poor kids no celebrations nothing to look forward to for a while at least

CathTheWise Fri 20-Mar-20 10:37:04

An Amazon voucher would be a good gift or you can buy her a subscription to a slideshow making program thus she can make a video with pictures from her trip and share the memories with the friends. Smartshow is a good one to do that.
And I also like the plant idea! Just make sure the distance between the plant and the door is safe smile

grandMattie Fri 20-Mar-20 10:34:05

My poor DGS is 16 today. We’re not able to see him, they’re self isolating, we’re old! Party postponed. Such a shame.

I feel for the youngsters who should be celebrating their youth, end of school, not having much fun!

BladeAnnie Fri 20-Mar-20 10:30:38

An Amazon voucher might be nice then she can choose a book or whatever herself

HannahLoisLuke Fri 20-Mar-20 10:28:28

A jumbo pack of loo rolls. I'm not joking, they're like gold dust at the moment.

Cliftonkate Fri 20-Mar-20 10:12:08

It’s my birthday next week too and we’re self isolating. If anyone wants to leave a dozen bottles of wine in my doorstep I’d be more than happy. ??

Thecatshatontgemat Fri 20-Mar-20 10:09:59

A crate/selection of her favorite wine, delivered to her doorstep. Perhaps using one of those 12 bottle offers that are popular?