Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Links to useful resources during self-isolation

(33 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 20-Mar-20 16:39:15

On another thread fourormore asked if we could have a thread with links to useful resources to help us all in isolation. If anyone has any suggestions to share, please pop the link on this thread.

We'll go first with this amazing opportunity to tour hundreds of museums around the world from your sofa. Google Arts and Culture lets you take virtual tours of MoMA in New York, the Munch Museum in Oslo and the Palace of Versailles as well as hundreds of others.

Over to you!

CorneliaStreet Tue 02-Jun-20 05:43:45

If you are about to get all of your old photos sorted and colorized, here is a nice photo restoration program called PhotoGlory- photoglory.net/ I used it to fix the pictures from my graduation, it was really simple.

HayleyC Wed 20-May-20 16:12:25

Here's a Facebook group where people are swapping tips about how to look after their older parents during lockdown:

www.facebook.com/groups/parentsinlockdown/

There's also a HELP DIRECTORY full of websites/resources on the topic of supporting elderly people during isolation. It's been made by Two Generations, who are inviting people to add more suggestions to the directory over on the above Facebook group smile

drive.google.com/file/d/13XHvSWi787UZMMUWkgHXxmdzNnk-8frQ/view?usp=sharing

Two Generations are a homeshare organisation, matching elderly householders with young homesharers. They've seen a real upturn of interest since coronavirus, and lots of new homeshares are being put in place as young people are coming forward to do their bit to support vulnerable elderly people at this time. You can read all about it here:

medium.com/@hayleycannoninfo/the-lives-of-isolated-elderly-people-can-be-transformed-through-homesharing-with-young-people-3c704bce7913

Hope people find this useful!!

schnackie Fri 17-Apr-20 19:02:33

Pharmacy2U has a new sister company called ChemistDirect. They have all kinds of hand sanitiser and cleaning products.

SarahCGransnet (GNHQ) Sun 12-Apr-20 21:15:18

We've also got a helpful new page with info on how to register as a vulnerable shopper.

SarahCGransnet (GNHQ) Sun 12-Apr-20 21:09:43

Hi everyone, we'd just like to add that if you feel your mental health is suffering, and you need to talk to someone urgently, these helplines might be useful:
Age UK - 0800 678 1602
Mind - 0300 123 3393
The Silver Line - 0800 470 8090
Anxiety UK - 03444 775 774
Samaritans - 116 123

littleflo Fri 03-Apr-20 08:04:19

For pure entertainment value I recommend Bored Panda.

CathTheWise Fri 03-Apr-20 06:49:42

Oh, I forgot to share! Here is a nice app for creating the interior design of the house, in case you want to re-organize the place.

SadafGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 01-Apr-20 12:54:22

Please also contact Samaritans if you find yourself feeling overwhelmed. flowers

Nata Wed 01-Apr-20 07:51:00

Here is a photo calendar program, I'm distracting myself while creating the calendars and sending them to my family and friends. It is funny.
photo-calendar-software.com/

varian Tue 31-Mar-20 03:05:03

Here is an app which lets you play many different online board games with people you know

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hagstrom.henrik.boardgames

GracesGranMK3 Thu 26-Mar-20 21:41:07

Blueprint are offering all their courses free until 9 April. There are over 1300 craft courses here.

Lisagran Thu 26-Mar-20 18:24:47

www.timeout.com/london/news/the-national-theatre-is-going-to-stream-a-free-play-every-thursday-night-032620?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&cid=%7Elondon%7Enatsoc%7Efacebook%7Eechobox#Echobox=1585229560

I see you’ve flagged this up *Daisymae^, but here’s a link smile

Daisymae Thu 26-Mar-20 13:44:29

National theatre are doing live productions on YouTube from 2 April. Their most popular productions. Starts at 7 and available for a week after

NotAGran55 Thu 26-Mar-20 06:10:28

Ted Talks

I’ll start by recommending this one - an incredible woman.

www.ted.com/talks/dame_stephanie_shirley_why_do_ambitious_women_have_flat_heads

CathTheWise Thu 26-Mar-20 05:57:02

I'm learning photo editing via photodiva.net/, this is a free portrait editor and maybe some of you may find it entertaining smile

NotSpaghetti Tue 24-Mar-20 05:11:52

And like Loutog would be interested in online "board" games where you play with actual people you know rather than random players please

Any ideas?
Thank you.

NotSpaghetti Tue 24-Mar-20 05:08:54

I'd like to know if anyone plays bridge via the internet (on a social level) with people they know who are elsewhere please? And yes, I did google this but I found nothing.

Norah1955 Mon 23-Mar-20 20:23:36

Loutog Google you should find the answer good luck

LouTog Mon 23-Mar-20 19:55:28

Dies anyone know if or how I can play scrabble online with my son ( whose in a different county). Thanks

Parsley3 Sun 22-Mar-20 13:11:00

Another Duolingo fan here. OH is talking of buying an Xbox thingie so we can do online gaming. Not sure if I want to....
Words with Friends is another good resource.

Anniebach Sun 22-Mar-20 13:04:34

I love going on google earth and seeing places I loved but can
no longer go to. The street where I played hopscotch, the
castle grounds where I walked my first born daughter, the beach where my husband proposed . The beach where I went
skinny dipping !

Daddima Sun 22-Mar-20 12:09:57

www.goodhousekeeping.com/life/travel/a31784720/best-virtual-tours/?utm_medium=social-media&utm_campaign=socialflowFBED&utm_source=facebook

Some good virtual tours.

Treebee Sat 21-Mar-20 19:31:48

Just discovered these online exercise videos
www.nhs.uk/conditions/nhs-fitness-studio/?tabname=pilates-and-yoga
There’s a wide range including belly dancing, but I’ll stick to my usual Pilates.

mcem Sat 21-Mar-20 15:21:41

Today I worked through a few levels of duolingo. Enjoyable and confidence-building!
Also downloaded a week free trial of Elevate brain games!

Greeneyedgirl Sat 21-Mar-20 13:48:49

Duolingo. Great online course for learning a language. Free, with ads. Or subscription.
I am doing Spanish.
Various meditation Apps. I am doing Sam Harris' (a neuroscientist) Waking Up App. Not free but they will reduce if you can't afford.