Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Blood Donation

(15 Posts)
M0nica Fri 25-Jun-21 12:17:12

I am allergic to pennicillin. I gave blood for some years, but in the 1980s with the HIV/AIDS emergency they began to get worried about allergies and when it was clear I had a drug allergy rather than a food allergy. I got a formal letter telling me that they could not longer accept my blood.

I am now over 70 and too old.

Talullah Fri 25-Jun-21 12:08:15

It's not Uncle Google whatever that is. Its the NHS website for you to register to be a blood donor.

Nonogran Fri 25-Jun-21 12:06:10

I’ve got a donation date for July 2021. All’s well with the NHS donation service as far as I know. Still operating as usual.

Lin52 Fri 25-Jun-21 10:02:54

Need to consult Tranfusion service, better than uncle Google surely

greenlady102 Thu 24-Jun-21 23:10:09

Talullah

Oh thanks for that, greenlady

Have you had a blood or blood product transfusion since 1st January 1980?

Yes I have so that makes me unsuitable. My son used to donate then fainted on the train coming home. So he's not eligible any more either.

well at least you now have chapter and verse

Talullah Thu 24-Jun-21 23:04:08

Oh thanks for that, greenlady

Have you had a blood or blood product transfusion since 1st January 1980?

Yes I have so that makes me unsuitable. My son used to donate then fainted on the train coming home. So he's not eligible any more either.

greenlady102 Thu 24-Jun-21 22:56:20

Talullah

For many years I was unable to donate blood. This was because I had a blood transfusion in 1981. I think I heard that this rule might change but after a quick google one site tells me it's fine and another say it's not!

no questions about previously receiving blood here. my.blood.co.uk/Check/18

I used to donate until I got to menopause and used to pass out, drop like a stone, after every donation. Got checked over and nothing wrong but I was asked to stop going, both for my own safety and because it used to frighten the other donors. I donated fairly regularly for around 27 years though.

Talullah Thu 24-Jun-21 22:48:16

For many years I was unable to donate blood. This was because I had a blood transfusion in 1981. I think I heard that this rule might change but after a quick google one site tells me it's fine and another say it's not!

tanith Thu 24-Jun-21 22:33:43

?

UnaSutherlands Thu 24-Jun-21 22:24:08

This is not a joke, you urgently need to see a doctor. I hope that everything will be fine and the bad will pass you by, but if I were you, I would not hesitate. It is better to consult a doctor immediately

Jane10 Mon 23-Mar-20 07:03:20

I'm AB+ too growstuff- it's quite rare. Maybe we're related!!

Maggiemaybe Mon 23-Mar-20 01:09:41

Hmm, I’ve had calls and texts urging me to go, as I became eligible again on the 20th. But when I checked online for forthcoming sessions round here the first half dozen were showing as fully booked. Perhaps people are forgetting to cancel?

I’ve booked in for the first week in June.

GrandmasueUK Sat 21-Mar-20 12:17:11

My daughter went yesterday and she said they were still busy and were fully booked and couldn't take any more. Perhaps it's a more localised thing.

growstuff Sat 21-Mar-20 12:13:00

As a female with AB+ blood, they don't want mine :-(

Calendargirl Sat 21-Mar-20 11:05:42

Just heard on the news that blood donors are still needed desperately to keep on donating. I am due to donate in early April, and certainly intend to go unless I am not well.
My daughter in law works for the National Blood Service, and says they have not been so busy as appointments have been cancelled, particularly by the older donors I expect.