Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

FOR ANYONE STRUGGLING TO GET FOOD

(6 Posts)
SalsaQueen Sun 22-Mar-20 18:42:53

I think it is up to families and neighbours to look after others who can't get out. (I got some things for the elderly mn next door) Failing that, some shops 9round where I live, I don't know if it's nationwide) are offering food deliveries if people RING and order

shysal Sun 22-Mar-20 17:49:12

I am in the vulnerable category but am able to get to the local shops. I have typed a note for each of my close neighbours, offering to do shopping if they or a member of their household is ill, giving my mobile phone number. Yesterday a few of them texted or rang me and messages were whizzing backwards and forwards all afternoon, which made us all feel less alone I think. If everybody who can get out made a similar offer, most of the country could be covered. My next door neighbour was self isolating last week and now has the virus, so was grateful.

Maggiemaybe Sun 22-Mar-20 17:28:35

Yes, I’m fortunate too, SalsaQueen. But a poster on another thread said yesterday that she and her husband are both high risk, in very bad health, and need an online delivery that they just can’t get.

Quote: We have no food and now face a very hungry couple of weeks. already down to 7 and a half stone through lack of food

There is all sorts of help out there for people in this position, but they often don’t know how to find it.

etheltbags1 Sun 22-Mar-20 16:38:58

That's fine, but someone is saying to self isolate if you are in at risk group. How do you find someone to shop for you. My neighbours are elderly and disabled , one works away and I don't know the rest. My d works and needs my help

SalsaQueen Sun 22-Mar-20 16:28:40

I cannot understand some people saying they can't get food. I went to Morrison's at 11.15 today, and apart from toilet rolls, chicken breast fillets and minced beef, the shelves were heaving! I got everything I needed - beef, eggs, bread, milk, loads of fresh fruit and vegetables, a couple of tins of stuff.

Maggiemaybe Sat 21-Mar-20 23:30:52

Apologies for the shouty capitals, but I've just come across this thread on Mumsnet and thought it might just help someone. I hate to think that there are people on here who may be going hungry because they don't know who to turn to, and some recent posts suggest that may be happening.

Obviously Mumsnetters are posting from lots of different areas, but there are some good tips on this thread, in particular a list (on page 2) of links to many local CoVid Support groups on Facebook and WhatsApp:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/3854555-Can-t-get-food-ANYWHERE?pg=2&messages=25

Hope it helps.