Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Fur Coat......a stupid question?

(6 Posts)
Oopsadaisy3 Sun 22-Mar-20 12:31:37

Hetty that’s what I was afraid of , germs on the surface of her coat, nose and paws, maybe from my daughter who( if she was to become infected ) strokes and pets her. Of course as she is sooo cute.
I’m not so concerned about transmission, as I think it’s rare that she might pass it on to us.
It was just the virus on her surface hair and skin.

You can’t use wipes on animals in case they lick it off of themselves, but I think you can buy special pet wipes for them, of course when she is here we are constantly washing our hands anyway, it’s automatic, touch the dog, wash hands.

It’s a pity but I might have to banish her as well as our family , so sad.

Hetty58 Sun 22-Mar-20 12:17:18

It's just the same as any other soft surface. There's a risk of transmission.

www.marthastewart.com/7692790/how-long-coronavirus-lives-clothing

EllanVannin Sun 22-Mar-20 12:12:04

2 dogs have died so far from the virus, one a robust German Shepherd. It can obviously pass from human to animal so will work in reverse.
I suppose it is possible to catch it if the animal already has it, though cats very often sneeze for no other reason other than an irritable nose. I have 3 cats one of which is prone to sneezing because of her sensitivity to room sprays etc.

Keep washing your hands after stroking the animal----which should be done anyway not because we have to be more careful.

Daisymae Sun 22-Mar-20 12:10:24

There's no evidence that animals are harbouring the infection in any volume that would pass it on.

GagaJo Sun 22-Mar-20 12:06:05

Animals can be contaminated (not infected). You could wipe him down with disinfectant wipes.

Oopsadaisy3 Sun 22-Mar-20 12:03:27

If my daughter came in to my house with a real fur coat on, ( let’s imagine that she went straight into a room and stayed there) but she left the fur coat in the hallway, would I be able to get any nasty (Covid 19) germs from that coat or would it be ok to stroke it? My daughter is doing our shopping for us so, although she is keeping a distance from others, she is not self isolating every day.

Of course the fur coat has 4 legs and a cute little face and ears and loves to be stroked........and usually stays with us for part of the week.