Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Anyone growing their own ?

(18 Posts)
MamaCaz Sun 22-Mar-20 18:25:49

I sowed my first seeds about a week ago.
I now have four Sungold and two Moneymaker tomato seedlings. I won't need any more of those, because when they reach the stage where I need to start removing side-shoots, I will stick one or two of those in compost to root, which they do really easily.

The mixed lettuce that I sowed in a pot the same time have also germinated, but the peppers and cabbages are not showing yet.

Direct in the ground I have sown a row of parsnips and just a short row of carrots - I will wait until it is warmer before I sow any more, on fact before I sow anything else outside, as they won't germinate well until the weather improves.

M0nica Sun 22-Mar-20 14:46:57

I have a large veg garden which is never as productive as it should be because I just cannot give it enough time. This year I will be able to give it all the time I like and find out just how good a gardener, or not, I am.

My big challenge is that I usually buy tomatos, aubegine, pepers and leeks as plants. This year I will be growing them all from seed.

Pikachu Sun 22-Mar-20 14:29:02

Three Sisters or CompanionPlanting

merlotgran Sun 22-Mar-20 14:28:36

I've been in the greenhouse all morning. Everything's behind because the weather has been so bad. Plenty of time to catch up though.

We're ordering anything we need for veg growing this year rather than go to the garden centre. They might end up having to close.

Pikachu Sun 22-Mar-20 14:25:48

Make the most of a small space by growing the Three Sisters. This, I think, was practised by Aztec women. Plant sweet corn in groups of 3-4. At the base of each when it is about 12” tall plant climbing beans (French or runner). These will use the sweet corn for support. In between your patches of sweet corn plant squashes, courgettes or similar. These will colonise the spaces between and prevent water loss from the soil through evaporation.

BlueBelle Sun 22-Mar-20 14:02:52

I have an allotment and wanted to keep going I can’t see where I could be in danger people are rarely there in the mornings and we are far apart from each other
What do others think ?

Rosalyn69 Sun 22-Mar-20 13:56:41

The husband is out preparing his veggie garden today.

growstuff Sun 22-Mar-20 13:43:12

Courgettes (no more than one plant per person), tomatoes, cucumbers, French beans, salad leaves, Swiss chard, spring onions, radishes, strawberries, rhubarb (buy a one year old crown), leeks, herbs.

tiredoldwoman Sun 22-Mar-20 13:40:30

Yes, I'm out in the garden today ( lunch break just now) , have cut grass and tidied hedges , raked up leaves and stirred my compost bin ! Have seeds waiting in the house but no compost in the shops yet - pumpkins, lupins, sweet peas all planned ! Might put in a potato or two ?

grannysyb Sun 22-Mar-20 13:31:51

Drove to our allotment this morning and DH planted some potatoes. I pulled some rhubarb for a crumble. We are trying to go every day while the weather is fine. We saw other people, but we all kept to the reccomended distance, as DH is in the underlying health problems category. Dong this is keeping us sane.

ninathenana Sun 22-Mar-20 13:29:34

DH has an allotment and has been GYO for a few years now.
Trouble is everything is late going in the ground this year due to soggy soil.

HurdyGurdy Sun 22-Mar-20 13:17:51

oopsadaisy3 - I've planted them well apart. Strawberry-isolated grin

Oopsadaisy3 Sun 22-Mar-20 13:10:52

hurdygurdy let’s hope they don’t spread to far!

BlueBelle Sun 22-Mar-20 13:02:55

Yes I ve put some courgette seeds in and have lots more packets ready

HurdyGurdy Sun 22-Mar-20 12:55:21

I took my nine year old granddaughter to the garden centre to choose what seeds she wants to grow this year. She chose two varieties of parsnip, round carrots and purple carrots, sweetcorn, tomatoes, peas and strawberry plants, as well as a host of flowers.

I had to laugh when we planted the strawberries and I noticed the name of one of the varieties she'd chosen

joannapiano Sun 22-Mar-20 12:37:01

DH is out in the garden preparing seed trays for tomatoes, French beans, carrots, cucumbers and courgettes. He grows them every year and they are started off in the conservatory or greenhouse. We have given up with runner beans as they are the least successful.
Lovely and sunny today, but cold wind.

Daisymae Sun 22-Mar-20 12:32:03

Yes, I am going to have another go. Last year most of the salad type things went to slugs and snails. I have ordered some seeds and raised beds that are for veg. I am going to start off a tumbling tomato and a runner bean for pots. have already planted peas in the wigwam which last year housed sweet peas.

jennilin Sun 22-Mar-20 12:15:47

It just occurred to me that during the months of isolation it might be interesting to attempt grow some vegetables . I have never grown veg from seeds only flowers. It will keep me fit and provide my family with fresh veg ... hopefully.
Anyone doing the same?