Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

What are the risks?

(11 Posts)
GagaJo Sun 22-Mar-20 19:18:59

My family is self-isolating. We're not going out, other than into the garden to hang out washing. No shopping. No doctors. No dentist. No post office. Nothing.

Other than if one of us is incubating the virus OR is asymptomatic, are we under ANY risk from anything, as long as we stay indoors?

If we are, what are the possible risks?

tickingbird Sun 22-Mar-20 19:22:05

If you don't already have it and aren't interracting with anyone outside of the family you should be ok. Cover your face or stand well back from anyone coming to the door and wash hands after receiving deliveries of shopping etc.

Oopsadaisy3 Sun 22-Mar-20 19:25:35

I hope that there aren’t any , as we are doing the same!

Any post that comes through the door drops into a carrier bag and stays there for a couple of days, as do any packages that we order online.
All online shopping stays in bags for 72 hours, fridge and freezer items go into one of our own bags and goes away and I unpack them properly 72 hours later.

Most risks will come from us doing something stupid in the house or garden and hurting ourselves. Unless something goes wrong we aim to stay at home until all of this blows over.
But I guess you can only do what you can do, we are lucky that we are able to stay at home , in the country, with walks that we can go on without meeting anyone.

GagaJo Sun 22-Mar-20 19:27:07

That is what I thought TB. It IS hard never going out at all, but it is worth is to cut the risk to minimal.

We're counting down to the 30th. Our 2 weeks in with no external contacts are up then. So as long as one of us isn't ill by then, we SHOULD be OK.

Txquiltz Sun 22-Mar-20 19:33:43

Thanks Oopsadaisy. I had not heard about protocols for shipped goods. I have several coming and will handle them as you suggested.

Gingster Sun 22-Mar-20 19:34:38

I heard that germs stay on deliveries for up to 72 hours. Is this true? So if we have something from amazon, how do we deal with it?

tanith Sun 22-Mar-20 19:36:27

You can unpack shopping as long as you wash your hands after handling it.

Oopsadaisy3 Sun 22-Mar-20 20:07:53

tanith I just didn’t want to touch anything and then put it into our cupboards
With our ok stuff. So I just leave it in the bags.
I’ll get into a muddle if I have old stuff and new stuff all together in the cupboards.

Oopsadaisy3 Sun 22-Mar-20 20:10:27

ginster Amazon stuff is put into the garage for 24 hours , it’s cardboard so that’s plenty of time, but if any metal or plastic is insde the boxes I leave it for 72 hours

SalsaQueen Sun 22-Mar-20 20:11:52

I've just been watching something on TV, where 2 doctors were answering questions sent in by the public. They said that as the virus can live on plastics and metals (anything from 2hours to 3 DAYS) they advise people to wash their hands before touching deliveries, and to put the things away in the cupboard, then wash hands again. No need to clean the goods.

Oopsadaisy3 Sun 22-Mar-20 20:15:56

I Should have said that we have ‘underlying health problems’ so we are extra careful with metal tin cans and plastics etc.
Hence the procedures I go through.