Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Passport renewal

(18 Posts)
CathTheWise Mon 23-Mar-20 06:54:04

I need to renew my passport (postponed it for quite a long time, haha) but all the stores where I can take a new photo of me are closed. I have my previous photo in digital form so I can apply online but will they accept the old picture of me? I'm not sure because they still may tell me to go and get a new picture but due to Corona situation there are no places I can get it (I mean nearby places, I don't feel like using public transport right now).

Calendargirl Mon 23-Mar-20 06:57:44

Is there a Tesco near you? Our local one has a photo booth which is suitable for passport photos, it’s not a large store. But if you need to catch a bus to get there, not much help.
As a heads up, my renewed passport came in less than a week after I had ordered it very recently, probably a good time to apply.

Oopsadaisy3 Mon 23-Mar-20 06:58:45

Try online, they might be able to use your Driving Licence photo, this works the other way around, DHs driving licence has just been renewed online and they have accessed his Passport photo.

TBH I doubt that you will need your passport in the coming weeks, possibly months anyway.

CathTheWise Mon 23-Mar-20 07:04:21

Calendargirl no Tesco unfortunately, so I think about applying online, yeah.

Oopsadaisy3 yeah, but I thought about applying online so that I wouldn't have to wait in queues when this whole situation is over. I mean, there will be lots of people, right?

Calendargirl Mon 23-Mar-20 07:06:23

That’s what I meant about applying now. There will be a big demand for new passports when this is over.

Nata Mon 23-Mar-20 07:11:29

I think sending your old photo is a good option if you didn't change much since then. Or you can take a new photo by yourself and then crop it via some ID photo makers like passport-photo-software.com or others.
I agree with Oopsadaisy3, you probably won't need it anytime soon so online application is a good idea.

CathTheWise Mon 23-Mar-20 07:13:06

Nata sounds like a good idea, thank you!

Oopsadaisy3 Mon 23-Mar-20 07:13:20

Don’t forget about Brexit, you might have to change it again in December or January? Might be best to wait.

Calendargirl Mon 23-Mar-20 07:16:56

Why will it need to be changed in Dec/Jan Oopsadaisy?
My new passport is good until 2030. Just a shame it’s still a burgundy one!

Oopsadaisy3 Mon 23-Mar-20 07:21:47

Don’t we have to get a new UK passport when we leave the EU?

I might be wrong ? with all of this Covid 19 I haven’t heard any more about passports. Mine doesn’t run out until 2027, but I assumed I would have to get a new one when we officially leave.

Oopsadaisy3 Mon 23-Mar-20 07:23:54

Government website says that new passports are for now and after Brexit so ignore my previous posts!

Calendargirl Mon 23-Mar-20 07:26:08

Oops

??

MamaCaz Mon 23-Mar-20 07:29:26

Try taking your own photo, but read the guidelines that are specifically about uploading your own photo first.
If I remember correctly, you don't have to crop it yourself, . but check that out.

Oopsadaisy3 Mon 23-Mar-20 07:33:27

calendargirl that will save me some money then!
Although my photo is dire and I was thinking that at least I could get rid of it soon......

Pittcity Mon 23-Mar-20 07:48:31

I got DS to take my photo against a white wall. It was easy to download onto the passport application.

Maggiemaybe Mon 23-Mar-20 08:29:54

I used the online renewal service just after it had come in. After umpteen rejections - probably 30 - of what looked like identical photos (background too light/dark, head too big/small, too much background/not enough), DH took a stand and flatly refused to take any more and I had to resort to selfies. To my surprise, one of them was accepted.

I’ve heard it’s a lot better now and those earlier problems have been ironed out. Thank goodness, as himself’s is due for renewal now. smile

Floradora9 Mon 23-Mar-20 14:34:25

I would not bother for us in case we never need one again. As DH says " we are not even buying green bananas "

JackyB Mon 23-Mar-20 14:52:11

You have to certify in the application that the photo is not more than 3 months old. You can submit a photo you have taken yourself with your phone as long as it adheres to the criteria.