Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Holiday cancellation

(6 Posts)
Daisymae Mon 23-Mar-20 16:55:51

We have a break booked in the UK during the Easter holidays with DS & family, booked last year. We have decided not to go and thought we would not be able to get a refund as it's our choice. However have heard from the company today that as the Government have advised against unnecessary travel and local people are concerned about visitors spreading the virus, asking if we could rebook later in the year. The company are the agents and they say that the contract is with the owner. As GC are involved we asked for half term in October and hoped for the best. This is booked. They say they will not refund. However they are not offering the holiday, at least not the dates we wanted. Assuming that holidays will resume this year. Does anyone have any ideas of where we stand?

Daisymae Mon 23-Mar-20 16:57:05

Half term week in October is already booked, not sure if that is clear

GrannyLaine Mon 23-Mar-20 17:02:43

If you have travel insurance then I think you would be able to claim. If not, and the owners are offering alternative dates (albeit not the dates you want) then I think they have fulfilled their obligation

endlessstrife Mon 23-Mar-20 17:10:11

I would expect your insurance to pay, as these are exceptional circumstances. If not, just re book if you can, for as far off as you can, maybe next Easter. I don’t know whether the government would cover such losses as they are with salaries, as you are complying with their demands. They may deem a holiday as dispensable.

mumofmadboys Mon 23-Mar-20 17:44:23

I had a cycling holiday booked in May. The hotel is prepared to move it to next May for no additional money. Just hope they don't go broke in the meantime !

Daisymae Wed 25-Mar-20 19:36:36

We had another break booked with a different company. I contacted them and just said that I wanted to cancel. They were excellent - just said that they would 'park' the money to be used against another holiday - no time limit. Guess which company I would use again??