Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Internet use....

(13 Posts)
Labaik Mon 23-Mar-20 17:06:41

Was wondering if people like me using the internet during the day just to chat are causing problems for people that are working from home. Should I restrict my internet use to evenings. [I think I'm getting paranoid about everything at the moment!].

Dawn22 Mon 23-Mar-20 22:02:18

?

SalsaQueen Tue 24-Mar-20 14:12:17

What?! Yes, you are probably using far more broadband than you should. Stop it. grin

Calendargirl Tue 24-Mar-20 14:37:33

We GN’ers are causing the breakdown of stay-at-home workers, school children, basically the world and his wife.
?

Labaik Tue 24-Mar-20 14:45:23

I asked my son and he said it's only downloading stuff that takes up a lot of broadband. I know you all think it's funny and I'm being stupid but sometimes even small things can make a difference.

SalsaQueen Tue 24-Mar-20 14:49:12

Labaik Sorry to laugh, but your question was a bit daft - your son is right. Small things like ordinary people like us on here won't make a scrap of difference to businesses etc. being able to use their computers. Keep on here as much as you like

Labaik Tue 24-Mar-20 14:59:58

I did hear that local children were having problems due to broadband speed etc. I must apologise for asking stupid questions.

growstuff Tue 24-Mar-20 15:30:33

My broadband speed is noticeably slower. I could kick myself now for not installing fibre optic.

Chestnut Tue 24-Mar-20 15:34:30

What about all the people watching TV via Broadband? There doesn't seem to be a problem there.

growstuff Tue 24-Mar-20 15:38:30

You can test your broadband speed here

www.broadband.co.uk/broadband-speed-test/

Compare it with very early in the morning or late at night.

I struggled to make a video call earlier because it kept freezing.

PS. I don't suppose posting on GN makes much difference. It's the millions of schoolchildren and home workers who are using bandwidth.

growstuff Tue 24-Mar-20 15:40:27

Isn't there a problem? I don't watch TV, so I wouldn't know, but I can tell that it's very slow, especially during working hours.

Calendargirl Tue 24-Mar-20 15:41:57

Your question wasn’t stupid Labaik.
My answer was an attempt at humour! I too wonder if we are affecting what others do now we’re all using internet more.

growstuff Tue 24-Mar-20 15:42:34

The efficiency of devices and whether they're cabled/WiFied to the router makes a difference.