Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Could their fear of financial loss result in more deaths

(33 Posts)
rosecarmel Mon 23-Mar-20 20:40:54

The President is on the verge of needing adult diapers- (to put it kindly) He's so frightened of financial loss and recession that he's willing to sacrifice lives and his vice president is right behind him backing every word he says-

His new motto is: "WE CANNOT LET THE CURE BE WORSE THAN THE PROBLEM ITSELF"

The "problem" is death- Not poverty- The cure involves everyone having less while engaged in preserving life-

It appears he actually thought that after 15 days of self isolation it would all return to normal-

rosecarmel Mon 30-Mar-20 22:11:55

Trump changed his tune- He pushed the deadline out until the end of April, at which point will listen to the experts if it needs to be extended- So we are told-

I heard on the news that the minister/pastor/preacher from Florida that held church service 2 Sundays in a row with hundreds of people was arrested today for doing so-

Pikachu Sat 28-Mar-20 16:25:56

How can you get through to these ignorant kids. Just listening to them makes me wonder how much this is down to Trumps influence.

if I want to party I’ll party

rosecarmel Sat 28-Mar-20 16:09:22

Greedy corporations behave that way- And corporations are at the helm of our healthcare-

An urgent care facility isn't an ER- An ER by law cannot turn people away- The teen went to the ER after being turned away from urgent care-

Whitewavemark2 Sat 28-Mar-20 12:26:34

Report that a teenager -17 years old has died. He sought help, but didn’t have insurance.

What sort of civilised society behaves like that!

vampirequeen Sat 28-Mar-20 04:09:28

It's a very worrying time for everyone but even more so when you live in a country were the powers that be seem to be confused and/or in denial. Even the states can't agree on what action to take. Florida appears to be doing nothing, others are allowing groups of 10 to 50 to meet up (which will spread the virus) whilst yet more are on total lockdown.

Trump is, and always has been, only interested in Trump. When things go wrong he'll blame the city officials and state governors. When things go well then he'll take credit.

rosecarmel Sat 28-Mar-20 02:04:40

At today's briefing Trump dialed back his enthusiasm, placing emphasis on saving lives and not the economy-

The briefings have really become a reality tv show, one that's embarrassingly painful to watch- And he's trying to use them to reach his base support now that he isn't holding campaign rallys-

His shtick with Pence is so predictable- Today he set the tone in advance prior to Pence stepping in from of the mic- He said Pence was tired- So Pence takes the mic, he acts kinda edgy instead of doing his usual hypnotic Trump puppetry routine- He says what he has to say then the rest of the task force said what they had to say- When it came time for questions from the press the task force members were allowed to respond at length except for Fauci! Pence shut the show down pronto when the press asked Fauci another question-

Nobody is talking about it because hardly anyone is airing or covering the briefing! Maybe FOX? I had to hunt the briefing down on YouTube to watch it- I think it was on the TIME channel-

rosecarmel Fri 27-Mar-20 20:05:00

This article explains the debacle- <--- To put it mildly-

www.pbs.org/newshour/health/how-uninsured-patients-can-get-help-during-covid-19-pandemic

Thus far, governors continue to support one another- But not all - Florida's governor's concerns mimic the President - He's more concerned about the economy, despite the fact that Florida is 2nd place for senior population - But local governments in cities like Miami and Orlando have issued lockdowns- There's definitely more movement in rural areas-

Smileless2012 Fri 27-Mar-20 17:38:43

We have friends in Florida who are really worried about Trump's proposal. They didn't vote for him and are very anxious.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 27-Mar-20 17:32:49

rose what happens If someone can’t afford medical insurance?

rosecarmel Fri 27-Mar-20 17:28:13

Private insurance Nov/Dec- Medicare/Medicaid any time-

Private insurance also makes considerations for life events that pertain to employment and death of spouse-

rosecarmel Fri 27-Mar-20 17:25:36

Medical costs related to the virus are currently being negotiated in different ways on federal and state levels as well as determined by corporations - Aetna, for example, will cover all virus related costs- Another example is expanding Medicare and Medicaid- There was talk about opening up application for Obama care- In the US, people can only sign up for health insurance November/December -

Fennel Fri 27-Mar-20 17:10:10

ps also as far as I know in the USA there is no national health system like ours. So if you can't afford private insurance, tough.

Fennel Fri 27-Mar-20 17:03:57

@ Whitewave I hope so too.
It could be that the false God of materialism will meet its match.

rosecarmel Fri 27-Mar-20 17:02:33

Here's a recent breakdown of all states:

www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/03/emergencies-closures-states-handling-coronavirus-200317213356419.html

Whitewavemark2 Fri 27-Mar-20 16:36:27

Surely the meteoric death toll will prevent lock down ( is it in every state?) from being stopped.

rosecarmel Fri 27-Mar-20 16:28:36

He's committed to money, thus continues to beat his drum that churches will be filled come Easter and businesses opened back up-

As a result, public radio and other news outlets will no longer air his Whitehouse briefings-

Governors from both sides of the aisle are standing their ground and offering continued protection and sound guidance -

Daisymae Wed 25-Mar-20 18:20:45

I don't suppose for one second that he has come up with this by himself. Ditto our PM who thought he would prefer the herd immunity theory. Those who have most to lose would prefer to chuck the masses under the bus. No doubt they have medics to hand to take their temperature every hour and respirators with their name on, should the need arise.

M0nica Wed 25-Mar-20 18:02:20

rosecarmel Not now, but it could back in 1776, when the system was established.

If we can revise and probably replace the House of Lords, that dates back to the 14th century, I am sure the US can reform or replace the Electoral College.

rosecarmel Wed 25-Mar-20 14:04:39

Her star didn't fall- It shifted- smile

She's played a leading role recently in the construction of the relief package being voted on today- Without her persistence the package could have looked like Obama's- But because of her persistence and influence it doesn't-

SueDonim Wed 25-Mar-20 13:03:50

I think Elizabeth Warren herself missed a great opportunity. She acted rather imprudently and her star fell. sad

rosecarmel Wed 25-Mar-20 12:40:07

M0nica, it doesn't take weeks to travel from section of a state to another- smile

M0nica Wed 25-Mar-20 09:59:05

Again it is the US citizen's decision to stay with this process, drawn up when it could take weeks to travel from one part of a state to the other, let alone one side of the country to the other.

They could change it if enough people demanded it.

Davidhs Wed 25-Mar-20 07:20:46

Is anyone really surprised that Trump put his foot in it again, he talks before he thinks, thankfully other wiser heads pick up the pieces.

rosecarmel Wed 25-Mar-20 02:19:37

Interesting article- I totally agree with his take on Biden-

Americans missed a golden opportunity with Elizabeth Warren-

SueDonim Wed 25-Mar-20 00:27:13

The BBC has just published this article, which i found very interesting. www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52012049