Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Post a letter

(83 Posts)
Dawn22 Tue 24-Mar-20 07:27:33

Can anyone advise.
Is it ok to post a letter and could germs be carried this way; on paper; hand to hand.
Should know answer but am just uncertain.

GrannyLaine Thu 26-Mar-20 15:32:49

This from Royal Mail who seem to be managing the situation very professionally and acknowledging their role in delivering to those who are isolated. Having been accused yesterday of being "horribly selfish" for sending a single envelope, I'm relieved to find that the Royal Mail are stepping up to the plate without hysteria
www.royalmail.com/d8/coronavirus-changes-service

notanan2 Thu 26-Mar-20 17:55:33

Did you not read the post you shared yourself?
It says that sickness levels are really high so those at work are under extra pressure (on top of being scared). How on earth do you think that justifies sending EXTRA post?

notanan2 Thu 26-Mar-20 17:57:00

"as cases of coronavirus increase across the UK we, along with other organisations, are experiencing growing levels of employee absence due to illness and self-isolation.

Absence rates are currently double what we normally expect at this time of year"

Greymar Thu 26-Mar-20 18:08:19

I don't think it's helping anybody getting irrate about sending one letter.

Be Kind didn't last long.

notanan2 Thu 26-Mar-20 18:12:23

Its not just one letter though. If there are lots of people thinking that their one letter isnt adding to the pressure thats a LOT of extra pressure on an already skeleton staff!

Be kind in this context would be about being kind and thinking twice about how your wants affect others, and maybe giving post staff and delivery staff a break. They are leaving their families so that essentials still get through not so GNers can take up a penpal hobby!

GrannyLaine Thu 26-Mar-20 18:27:51

notanan2 naturally I read the link. I saw nothing to support your rather excitable argument. Did you read the part that explained how they are continuing to deliver unsolicited mail (ie advertising flyers) as long as other mail is being delivered to the address. I don't remember reading that The Royal Mail is 'scared' - forgive me if I'm wrong.
Just to be clear - your sarcastic remark 'taking up a penpal hobby' refers to letters to my beloved grandchildren whom I cannot see at the moment. It seems that the concept of being kind is simply beyond the imagination of some on Gransnet.

notanan2 Thu 26-Mar-20 18:30:19

Off you pop then, if its so un-scarey, Im sure theyre hiring at the moment!

Greymar Thu 26-Mar-20 18:36:01

For the Love of God, stop being so vile.

notanan2 Thu 26-Mar-20 18:43:19

What's vile is people who batton down their own hatches, but still don't think twice about having others leaving home to run around fulfilling their non essential whims.

Their are post workers who are over 65, who are asthmatic, who are on immune supressing meds, who have vulnerable household members. They would rather batton down their hatches too. Is it so hard to put yourselves in their shoes and see how it's more palatable to leave your family and potentially bring home corona, if it is mainly essentials you are delivering, not just "a bit of fun"?

But so long as you and yours are okay sod them right? Who is really being vile here?

GrannyLaine Thu 26-Mar-20 18:58:24

I'm afraid its you Notanan.

notanan2 Thu 26-Mar-20 19:15:26

Amazon is now shutting warehouses because Covid has spread between warehouse workers ..

You STILL think now is the ideal time to take up penpalling? When youre clearly able to use digital communication?

MawB Thu 26-Mar-20 19:42:33

I can not believe I am reading such nonsense.
Notanan your level of hysteria ( penpalling habit ) may be understandable, given the strain many are living under, but do read the material from the Royal Mail yourself too.
The importance of our postal service is recognised
Door to door mailings provide a very valuable service to small businesses and companies of all kinds as they seek to provide their goods and services. Many small businesses need that support now more than ever. They want to send it, many consumers want to receive it. Door to door mailings also include important communications from local government
And nobody is seriously suggesting we bring the country’s morale even lower by putting an embargo on private letters or birthday cards.
Don’t write to your family?
65 year old posties with COPD ?
Not around here - v fit (in every sense of the word) sporting shorts and a good pair of legs.
If there is no mail, posties will be out of work.
If the Royal Mail feels under stress, they plan to reduce the service as outlined in the linked material and can also easily reduce the frequency of deliveries to alternate days -as I suspect they do already in villages like ours.
What a specious argument.
As for the hygiene aspect, I assume we will use our common sense?

GrannyLaine Thu 26-Mar-20 19:44:10

Well, that isn't surprising, I believe that we all expected the virus to spread rapidly across all sectors. Businesses have closed all over the uk. Notanan this is starting to feel like bullying now and I'd like you to stop.

Labaik Thu 26-Mar-20 19:44:23

Now is the time to do as much on the internet as we can. Every single little thing that can reduce contact beit person to person/person to object etc etc must be reduced in every way possible. I'm trying to throw less things away, waste no food; use as little water/electricity as possible etc etc. Everything that can mean less work for everyone else. I did order some vitamin tablets for my family but that's because I read that they did offer some protection. We now get our newspaper digitally.

GrannyLaine Thu 26-Mar-20 19:48:31

Good for you Labaik!

notanan2 Thu 26-Mar-20 19:51:26

Labaik flowers

Agree. Everything has a knock on effect now more than every. Every service or product means someone else potentially exposing themselves and their families to get it to us.

Anyone who calls that hysteria hasnt been paying attention...

MawB Thu 26-Mar-20 19:54:13

Bandwidth speeds are significantly reduced in some areas because of home schooling and working from home, not to mention box sets.
Oh and activity on GN! ?‍???‍????????????????????

notanan2 Thu 26-Mar-20 19:54:46

*65 year old posties with COPD ?
Not around here - v fit (in every sense of the word) sporting shorts and a good pair of legs.*
Oh for goodness sake. The posties you see aren't the only post workers it takes to get your mail to you.

notanan2 Thu 26-Mar-20 19:56:41

Yes that too Maw. We have stopped all TV streaming in our household as that is the biggest drain (environmentally anyway and in terms of keeping things going for those that need online working etc)

Oopsadaisy3 Thu 26-Mar-20 19:57:19

I spoke to our new postie this week, as he threw my mail into a carrier bag, the last thing he said to me as he waved goodbye was ‘ well at least I’m lucky , I’ve still got a job’
Keep posting ladies and don’t overthink it.

MawB Thu 26-Mar-20 20:00:43

Might as well turn our faces to the wall it seems, pull the duvet over our heads and would the last one please turn out the lights?
PS I don’t have a smart TV so no streaming. Please may I send my grandchildren a thank you letter for my birthday presents?

annodomini Thu 26-Mar-20 20:03:03

I have a large notice in the front window telling posties and couriers to leave parcels on the back doorstep. I unwrap them there and put the paper and boxes straight into the bin. I then wash my hands thoroughly and when a new pair of joggers came from M&S, I washed them too.

Oopsadaisy3 Thu 26-Mar-20 20:11:49

There is a letter on FB from a local care home asking for letters to be sent to the residents who are on lockdown and want to hear what’s going on in the outside world, I posted my letter to them today.

Callistemon Thu 26-Mar-20 20:23:09

I think if she could get her presents through the post it might put a smile on her face,but is it wrong of me to prioitise something like a a birthday
No, absolutely not paddyanne - the girl deserves a treat. What a lovely DGD you have. Have you already bought them or can you order something online?
She will know about handwashing and taking precautions of course.

Callistemon Thu 26-Mar-20 20:24:15

Or, if you decide not to send anything, you can promise her a lovely treat as well as present after all returns to normal.