Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

THE BIG CLAP!

(152 Posts)
phoenix Thu 26-Mar-20 19:46:08

The shouty capitals are intended, just a reminder that tonight, at 8pm, as many people as possible through the UK are asked to stand in their gardens, out side their front doors, on their balcony etc and make a noise to show support for the NHS workers.

I might feel a bit silly in our little cul de sac, but I'll be out there!

Missfoodlove Sun 05-Apr-20 10:44:33

PauliLenney, surely walking home in the uniform you have worked in as a nurse carries a risk?

Caramac Sun 05-Apr-20 10:27:56

maddyone thank you, stay strong too for your family flowers

annodomini Fri 03-Apr-20 15:47:02

More people came out last night than the previous week and i think more will join in next time. I think this will be a weekly event now. Since the clocks went forward, we can now see out neighbours and wave to them. It's a shame we can't get together and chat!

maddyone Fri 03-Apr-20 13:14:41

Caramac keep strong for your daughter flowers

maddyone Fri 03-Apr-20 13:13:42

I’m so pleased so many people really appreciate our NHS staff, and all those who are out there doing their jobs to help us all. My nephew, who is a driving instructor in normal times, has volunteered to be a dustbin man, or refuse collector to be correct. He’s ex police so is healthy and strong and so is doing this as a temporary measure whilst he can’t teach driving. I was clapping for him and all refuse collectors. Good on him. I was also clapping for my darling girl and her husband who are GPs and will probably have to soon be giving palliative care to the dying. I’m proud of them, but find myself feeling very teary when I imagine them doing this work. And we can’t even help out as we usually do with childcare for their three little children. A young woman, a nurse, who was my daughter’s age died yesterday, leaving three little children. I so wish we could do more than clap. It’s a very emotional time.

trisher Fri 03-Apr-20 09:38:46

Lots of people down our street out. Some who weren't out the week before.

Caramac Fri 03-Apr-20 09:35:29

I did but only saw one other on my street. I clapped especially hard for my daughter caring for Covid patients in ITU and my son covering extra shifts in hospital on the maintenance department. I know near my daughter that lots of people were clapping and she really appreciated it.

oldgimmer1 Fri 03-Apr-20 09:24:11

My street was decidedly muted last night. Either the novelty is wearing off or people are finding it pointless and cringey.

fourormore Thu 02-Apr-20 21:32:35

We went out with several other neighbours and the general feeling was 'see you all again next Thursday!'
We can never thank our NHS, all other caring professions and our emergency services enough. We cannot do it in any other way at the moment so let's show them we appreciate them.
The time for arguing the politics will be after it is all over.
Thanks to all who are working so hard to get us through and thanks also to all who are obeying the requests to stay at home, self isolate or distance themselves.

May7 Thu 02-Apr-20 20:47:37

Lots of clapping bell ringing and cheering here in our otherwise very reserved Close. All retired and think its boosting our morale as well ???

Callistemon Thu 02-Apr-20 19:40:19

I will be clapping everyone who is working to keep the country going during these unprecedented times.

And a special cheer for frontline NHS staff, as well as those keeping the normal NHS services going too.

Smileless2012 Thu 02-Apr-20 19:37:43

We will too, like you polly I found it very moving too.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 02-Apr-20 19:35:52

We shall be out clapping ????

pollyperkins Thu 02-Apr-20 19:33:15

Yes, will be joining in. I found it very moving last week that even in our little village street people came out and clapped and cheered.

Nana3 Thu 02-Apr-20 08:47:41

Big clap again tonight. On TV I saw some nhs staff clapping us for staying at home, it was very moving.

Grannyjay Sat 28-Mar-20 16:58:33

Eloethan please be nice!

May7 Sat 28-Mar-20 16:44:05

Eloethan couldnt agree more

Eloethan Sat 28-Mar-20 16:41:46

Grannyjay What an unpleasant post.

Marmight Sat 28-Mar-20 13:34:27

I’m feeling quite discombobulated today; a can’t be a***d type of day, only just got dressed and was nonchalantly scrolling through the threads. Just read ‘The Big Clap’ (which I’ve already posted on) I read into it something else. Oh well, made me laugh ?

Grannyjay Sat 28-Mar-20 10:18:11

??Oldgimmerl I’ve just noticed that!

oldgimmer1 Sat 28-Mar-20 10:15:43

"bin Laden neglected garden paradise"....

Poetic that....hmm

Grannyjay Sat 28-Mar-20 07:01:21

I live in a small cul-de-sac where over the years for some reason or other a private landlord has bought up the houses as cheap as he can get them as I have heard from a previous seller that he makes an offer and starts the process but then asks for it to be reduced and backs out if they don’t. If he gets a lucky-result he rents them to those who came to the UK to work. I do not have any problems with that but some are multiple occupancy and some have no English. Myself and another neighbour who has lived here for many years were out clapping and we watched the neighbours look out and then firmly shut their curtains. It’s such a shame as our once pretty cul de sac is now turning into a bin laden neglected garden paradise with people who do not seem connected to what is happening.

PauliLenney Sat 28-Mar-20 05:56:57

Let’s end the thread on a high ...
My daughter was walking home from her NHS shift in Critical Care in her uniform. She ended up being clapped all the way down the Main Street long after the clapping had come to a close. Lovely. X

Eloethan Sat 28-Mar-20 00:47:45

Although pce612 's comments aren't strictly connected to this thread, I think she makes a pertinent point.

I went outside to clap and cheer in support and appreciation of our NHS workers. However, though it shows appreciation - and it appears to have been very much welcomed - it does nothing in practical terms.

When NHS personnel needed the support of the general public in demanding their pay be brought into line with inflation, and staffing levels be properly addressed, they received very little public support, apart from what some would witheringly refer to as "the usual suspects". Hand clapping and cheering is possibly the best we can do for the moment, but never again should we allow our nurses, doctors, and other hospital staff to become so overworked and demoralised as they have been in the last eight or so years - especially now that we have seen how they have risked their own physical and mental health for the sake of us all.

Callistemon Fri 27-Mar-20 21:12:49

pce612 a good point, perhaps for another thread at some time in the future.