Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Chris Whitty has symptoms

(73 Posts)
growstuff Fri 27-Mar-20 16:33:15

Prof Chris Whitty, England’s chief medical officer, is self-isolating for the next seven days after experiencing symptoms of coronavirus last night.

Hetty58 Mon 06-Apr-20 00:47:46

I don't worry about any of them. I like the poster in the window opposite, though. It says 'Help the NHS - Don't vote Tory!'

Chestnut Mon 06-Apr-20 00:25:31

We are all worrying about Chris Whitty having not heard anything. Anyone worrying about Dominic Cummings?

Juliet27 Sun 05-Apr-20 23:10:45

Yes, I’m worrying about him too. Matt Hancock seemed to recover quickly.

ReadyMeals Fri 03-Apr-20 09:48:13

I wonder how Chris is now? We've not heard anything about him since the news that he had symptoms. I am worried about him - I like him!

Chestnut Sat 28-Mar-20 23:16:12

They have clearly said that the lockdown is to slow the virus so we don't all become ill at the same time. It won't stop it. It's obvious everyone will get it eventually unless they remain in self isolation, which most people can't do indefinitely. I am prepared to do so until there is a vaccine, but I will so miss my dear children and grandchildren until then.

dorcas1950 Sat 28-Mar-20 19:32:48

Jane10: the voice of reason. Thank you!

SueDoku Sat 28-Mar-20 18:39:36

My DD is a Community Nurse. Very, little in the way of PPE has come their way. Their Trust sent out an edict that no nurses should travel home in their uniform (sensible) but when they enquired whether they should attempt to change in their cars, or strip off by the roadside, answer came there none..!! ?
Her manager also requested disposable seat covers, as used in garages, so that they could throw them away before anyone else (e.g. DGC) got into the car - and was met with a puzzled look, and the question, 'What do you need those for?'...!! She says she feels all Ike the poor bloody infantry... I feel furious - and frightened for her ?

blueskies Sat 28-Mar-20 18:18:33

Lucky that all three have "mild" symptoms. Interesting to see their sick notes.....

Annaram1 Sat 28-Mar-20 17:32:56

My son and daughter in law are GPs and my grandson works in the surgery, doing clerical work. I worry for them all.

Annaram1 Sat 28-Mar-20 17:31:23

Those videos of the House of Commons debates make it very clear that members of parliament sit almost on top of each other. "No one is invincible," said Boris....

Ramblingrose22 Sat 28-Mar-20 17:01:18

Saw Chris Whitty making a brief national information broadcast and thought has he been given too much TV make up or is he just looking flushed? Now I know the answer.

I hope Jenny Harries doesn't come down with it. She's been standing closer than she should have to others (eg Matt Hancock) and I too like her calm, clear tones.

Joesoap Sat 28-Mar-20 15:01:26

You said it, you couldnt make it up,I hope Jenny Harries doesnt get it, she is so calm, and explains in simple terms what this is all about and what we should all do.I hope the guys get better soon.

SueDonim Sat 28-Mar-20 14:30:18

test them, not treat. Predictive text. confused

SueDonim Sat 28-Mar-20 14:29:46

Laibek NHS staff in Scotland aren’t all being tested for CV. My dd and eleven of her medic/nurse colleagues have been in isolation for nine days now because no one will treat them. angry

Labaik Sat 28-Mar-20 14:16:45

It just follows on from all the conflicting 'advice' the government have been giving out.

growstuff Sat 28-Mar-20 13:45:32

Maybe they are a bit daft (or arrogant). hmm

Yennifer Sat 28-Mar-20 13:42:56

Seems a bit daft to me that those in charge haven't followed their own rules x

growstuff Sat 28-Mar-20 13:37:20

How does the new coronavirus compare to influenza?

fullfact.org/health/coronavirus-compare-influenza/

Panic doesn't get anybody anywhere, but nor does complacency.

A big difference between seasonal flu and this virus is that the most vulnerable are vaccinated against known strains of flu and pneumonia.

Bluecat Sat 28-Mar-20 13:32:10

Polnan, in answer to your question, the virus lives on cardboard for 24 hours.

I feel sorry for Chris Whitty as a human being and wish him a speedy recovery. However, where his job is concerned, I hold him partially responsible for the fiasco of the government's initial response to this crisis. Precious time was wasted when we could have been on lockdown, as strongly advised by the Italians, for instance. We were also advised by the WHO, who were clearly baffled by our response, and we still aren't following their guidance to test, test, test.

The government accounted for its change of. direction by saying that the scientific data now indicated much higher numbers than previously predicted. Other scientists were saying, before the government's change, that the data was there, and begging them to act. However, we were going to - in Boris's words - "take it on the chin."

Labaik Sat 28-Mar-20 13:26:51

And now we hear that NHS staff in Wales and Scotland have been tested for the past week, but English staff have had to wait till next week [although some are being tested in Nottingham today I believe...].

Maremia Sat 28-Mar-20 13:05:33

Boris Johnson; so proud of still shaking hands in that hospital, not heading the warnings of what was happening in Italy and Spain, 'losing' the email that would have taken us into the EU procurement for ventilators. I hope all of your wonderful families who are out there doing essential work, be they medics, or care staff, or shop assistants, Police, ambulance, refuse collectors, people who are keeping our electricity supplies going and our water flowing, I hope they all get through this safe and well.

Speldnan Sat 28-Mar-20 12:42:47

We can stay at home now and avoid it but unfortunately as soon as restrictions are lifted and without a vaccine we will all be vulnerable to a second wave.

MTDancer Sat 28-Mar-20 12:36:28

Are you sure? 26,000 seems a huge amount

Revis Sat 28-Mar-20 12:14:42

Just found out that Chris Whitty is the eldest son of my English teacher at secondary school in the 50s. He looks nothing like her - she had a mass of red curls! His father was murdered in Athens by terrorists when Chris was young.

Jane10 Sat 28-Mar-20 12:06:25

So many armchair experts! The sheer logistics of it all are astoundingly complicated. Its amazing what is being done.
Just be glad that we have a functioning health service, economy and a government that is taking expert advice as to what to do and, crucially, when to do it.