Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Breaking my self isolation

(8 Posts)
tanith Sun 29-Mar-20 11:37:08

Grrrrr! It’s Sod’s law isn’t it my toilet cistern started running yesterday after flushing I’ve tried googling but made it slightly worse by adjusting the inlet valve as now the darn thing is very slightly dripping onto the floor or on to the towel that I’ve wrapped round it so much to my annoyance I’ve had to ring my GS and he’s on his way to fix it.

We’ve both been isolated for over a week in our respective homes and as long as I stay away from him and wipe everywhere he has to touch with wipes we should be ok don’t you think?

Calendargirl Sun 29-Mar-20 11:42:08

Our boiler packed up, and our plumber was here last week replacing it. Tried to keep safe distancing for all our sakes, but we had no heat for several days and it was very cold in the evenings. Plus we were really worried after Boris’ announcement last Monday that he wouldn’t be able to get a new one. The thought of how long it could last without one.
He also said other plumbers were buying up new boilers at the warehouse, a new type of stockpiling.

Oopsadaisy3 Sun 29-Mar-20 13:11:46

Tanith if you do all the things that you should, you will be fine, if you make him a coffee though, either put the cup, using gloves, in to the DW , I’m not sure about the rules when hand washing cutlery and cups.

Luckygirl Sun 29-Mar-20 13:22:30

Perhaps he could wear some rubber gloves - I am lucky to have loads of them here that were for caring for OH.

NotAGran55 Sun 29-Mar-20 13:35:44

You open your door to let him in and move away .

You leave the door open to the room he will be working in.

You thoroughly clean the loo and sink before he arrives.

Ask him to bring his own cleaning products and clean everything thoroughly that he has touched whilst doing the repair .

Don’t offer him a drink .

Stand away when he goes and you close the door behind him.

Stay out of the room as long as you can , yesterday WHO info suggests it doesn’t stay in the air long as it is heavy and drops onto surfaces .

EllanVannin Sun 29-Mar-20 13:49:49

I remember using Milton in the washing-up water years ago if the family had colds. If it was safe enough to soak baby's bottles then it was also safe enough to use with cups/dishes. I think everything was washed down with Milton if I remember rightly, bathroom and kitchen. It used to come in handy.

EllanVannin Sun 29-Mar-20 13:54:02

Well diluted bleach would also suffice. I often use it to clean my teacup now and again when tea-stains build up. Given a good rinse you can't taste any bleach.

tanith Sun 29-Mar-20 15:34:07

Thanks everyone, he wore gloves and mask and cleaned everything when he finished he’s replaced the valve that was leaking thank goodness all is working well now.
I’ve cleaned everything again now he’s gone, I think we were both glad of the distraction as difficult/strange as it was .