Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

The Middle of Lidl

(29 Posts)
HillyN Mon 30-Mar-20 17:19:41

We always do our fortnightly shop at our local Lidl and will need to go later this week to stock up on food. Can we still buy those random items in the middle aisles or only essential food, drink and cleaning items?
I ask because I read that police were checking and fining people with non-essential purchases; I don't know how true that was. Could I claim I needed them for my mental health? grin

HillyN Tue 31-Mar-20 13:43:59

I will have a quick look to see if there is anything I can't do without, but don't intend to browse. I'm hoping they might have some knicker elastic (don't ask blush). I was just wondering if I needed to conceal these random items about my person in case I was subjected to a bag search. Now where could I hide that MIG welder..... grin

SueDonim Mon 30-Mar-20 22:23:08

flowers Grannylaine!

grannyactivist Mon 30-Mar-20 22:07:23

One of my clients has mental health problems and occasionally he literally runs out of clothing. Normally this isn't a problem as I bulk buy cheap T shirts and joggers online for him and eke them out as he needs them, but because I was ill before lockdown I'm out of sync and now he's out of clothes. I can't buy locally because he's size 2XL, so today I was reduced to putting out an SOS as we can't get to a shop and the online place has (quite rightly) closed pro tem. The middle of Lidl has been a lifesaver in the past, but not this time, I'm afraid.

Charleygirl5 Mon 30-Mar-20 21:15:35

Online my local Lidl is advertising DIY stuff like drills for the middle of Lidl section for this week. I believe they are also selling plants. Not a lot appears to have changed there.

GrannyLaine Mon 30-Mar-20 21:14:20

Ah yes, I see where you are going with this SueDonim........ I have one of those too. We had to have a frank conversation about it a couple of weeks back......angry

SueDonim Mon 30-Mar-20 21:08:11

GrannyLaine that might yet happen if he keeps on snoring like he did last night! ?

quizqueen Mon 30-Mar-20 20:33:50

Closing off clothes aisles in supermarkets would be ridiculous. If someone has a 3 month old baby, they could be 6 month by the time this malarkey has finished. Are those babies supposed to be rammed into clothes too small for all that time!

GrannyLaine Mon 30-Mar-20 20:24:35

Well he sounds quite a killjoy SueDonim. I bet it would have been great for getting weeds out from between the paving slabs on those days when you are feeling quite murderous.

SueDonim Mon 30-Mar-20 20:20:58

Grannylaine Dh stopped me from buying a pneumatic drill from Aldi’s aisle of weirdness a while back. He said I didn’t need one but I’m sure I could have found a reason to use it if I had had enough time. grin

GrannyLaine Mon 30-Mar-20 20:10:47

But suziewoozie how would you defend the necessity of a MIG welder along with your bag of pasta, should the need arise?
Sorry, these strange times are making me a bit hysterical daft

SueDonim Mon 30-Mar-20 20:02:47

Thank goodness for that, Notanan. Two Easter eggs just happened to fall into my trolley today! grin

Chewbacca Mon 30-Mar-20 19:09:26

Does that just apply to comestibles though notanan2?

notanan2 Mon 30-Mar-20 19:04:29

I agree that at the moment suziewoozies interpretation seems to be correct (could change)

It has been discussed re easter eggs: no you cant make a trip out for just easter eggs. Yes you can pop some in your basket when youre in Tesco for other items which are essential

notanan2 Mon 30-Mar-20 19:02:19

Ours is reduced and the layout has changed so that the high demand items are away from "normal" shopping

Curlywhirly Mon 30-Mar-20 19:00:21

I think suziewoozie is right; this was one of tbe questions asked on a TV programme, and the answer was as suzie described.

grannypiper Mon 30-Mar-20 18:58:09

I was in Lidl today and the "middle" aisles were fully stocked with deals

SueDonim Mon 30-Mar-20 18:56:12

All sections of Sainsbury’s were open today. There was even an assistant wheeling racks of clothing around. No one seemed to be in there looking, let alone buying anything.

Chewbacca Mon 30-Mar-20 18:54:18

The middle aisle in Aldi was fully open yesterday when my son went but he said it was piled high because everyone was just buying the essentials.

Eglantine21 Mon 30-Mar-20 18:49:55

That’s if you actually want to be hanging about browsing, picking up stuff that other people have pawed over.........

suziewoozie Mon 30-Mar-20 18:34:55

The way I would interpret it is that you shouldn’t make a special trip to buy a non essential but if you go out for usual groceries, you can pick up a welding helmet as you go past. ?

SpringyChicken Mon 30-Mar-20 18:18:44

I went to Lidl today. Middle of Lidl was open as usual. I read today on the BBC website that non essential items are allowed to be sold in shops classed as Essential Retailers. There was a hoohaa about corner shops selling non essential items such as Easter eggs but the association representing them said it is allowed.

ninathenana Mon 30-Mar-20 17:46:20

Good question. I said to DH earlier that I was surprised the home and wear section of Tesco wasn't cordoned off on Friday.

crazyH Mon 30-Mar-20 17:43:25

Just returned from Lidl - shelves are full - middle aisle stocked with various items - didn't look because I always buy something I like, but don't really need.
Mind you, I did see a police van in the car park.

MawB Mon 30-Mar-20 17:39:42

HillyN is this one of those urban myths?
I woukd not worry, as I am sure the police have more important things which require their attention.

rosenoir Mon 30-Mar-20 17:38:41

I have just come back from Tesco, there were announcements saying "please remember essential shopping only do not browse". I think maybe it is to stop people staying in the store for a long time as the queue to get in was about 20mins and must be longer at busy times.

I do not know if other stores are doing the same.