Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

What helps you to stay positive?

(143 Posts)
Nata Thu 02-Apr-20 06:19:17

With all this situation we all need some postivity. What makes you feel better? My list consists of going for a walk before the crowds, doing some sports, cooking things I usually don't have time for and reading Gransnet, haha! What are your tips?

angiestivy Thu 16-Apr-20 17:45:47

I have been using ‘ The girl with the Pilates Mat’ on you tube.
She does lots of beginner workouts for beginners, including seniors, ranging from 10 minutes session up to an hour if you combine her workouts. After going to gym for years, would really recommend Pilates as a great way to keep supple & mobile. You don’t need any special equipment, but if you have dodgy knees like me a Yoga / Pilates mat gives an extra comfort layer. Don’t worry though fitted carpet of ordinary floor mat is ok.

GrannieIggle Sat 04-Apr-20 18:59:46

@Sheilab72 & @Rosina
I deliberately stopped reading/watching news 2 weeks ago.

The British media is mainly over-excitable, addicted to drama and full of speculation. Who cares what some self-styled 'expert' or 'celeb' that I've never heard of thinks?!

It's definitely not what we need during this emergency.

So I've created my own little bubble. Just pottering about doing the little jobs that I can and enjoying the peace and quiet as everyone concentrates on the things that really matter.

My friends keep me up to date on the key things (especially a dear Aussie friend - a real newshound - who calls me every few days with the latest from around the world which we chew over and then decide that we're very fortunate).

Sheilab72 Fri 03-Apr-20 11:51:01

Rosina: Agree wholeheartedly with your comments. Wish tv would concentrate on telling us how many have survived than who have succumbed. Living in a bubble at present cleaning out cupboards and drawers etc and pretending it’s just a bad dream

Christiana Fri 03-Apr-20 09:19:32

Hey Book-addict I’ve read those books too The Belle Fields and Ashes of Roses by Lora Adams. They were a good read. Easy going and took my mind off things, transporting me into another world. Once I got into it I couldn’t put my kindle down, it got red hot!!!! Haha, passed the time beautifully, hope Lora Adam writes some more, can’t wait. I find reading is as good as meeting old friends and keeps me feeling in touch.

gardener Fri 03-Apr-20 05:21:34

And of course staying in touch by phone with all my friends ---most important !

gardener Fri 03-Apr-20 05:17:42

I'm finding lots of things to occupy my time and help me to feel positive.
Reading of course, making home made birthday cards from various scraps etc -- ideas from the internet
Watching my tomato seeds start to pop up, walking round the garden ( we are lucky to have a big garden ), sewing and mending things that have been waiting a long time (!), crosswords and other puzzles, deciding what I can make for meals with what's in the cupboard and freezer.
My most recent find is homechoir.co.uk.
Ben the choirmaster teaches you a new song every day...very easy songs to sing along...a real feel good activity. Try it !!!

bookaddict Fri 03-Apr-20 05:13:42

What keeps me going are the thoughts of what I have planned when I finally get to see my grandkids - sea and sand come to mind! Just heard Denmark are starting a slow and controlled exit from lockdown over Easter, they are about 2 weeks ahead of us but a lot less affected case wise! In the meantime enjoying reading - try a couple I have enjoyed - The Belle Fields and sequel Ashes of Roses by Lora Adams. Keep safe everyone - we will see a Summer to celebrate and enjoy!

Daisyboots Fri 03-Apr-20 03:40:45

Oops I am sorry this should have been posted on the "Are you scared " thread. I don't know how I managed to post it on here. Must be because I was woken up by the cat. The last paragraph in particular does not apply to this thread. My apologies.

Daisyboots Fri 03-Apr-20 02:53:55

Here in Portugal if you are 70 or over you are not supposed to leave your home at all as we were reminded by by a paper from our local council. I have cancer and am undergoing oral chemotherapy treatment so only go out to go to the hospital every three weeks. My husband is 71 but he needs to do the shopping and has been shopping ths week. I worry about him going but he goes first thing when it is elder shopping time and there are so few shoppers that he doesnt have to queue to get in. I worry that he does the right thing when he gets home regarding cleaning up but just have to trust that he does. He has PTSD so he can be quite fragile mental health wise but so far he is coping okay. Next time we will be going out is the 13th April for my hospital appointment so if we need anymore food he can get it then. He forgot eggs yesterday but they can wait. He just wont get any cakes.
Please let's not use this forum to tear into each other because we all have our worries and problems and what worries someone may not concern someone else. Just do what you can to stay safe

Itsnotme Thu 02-Apr-20 23:23:14

I’m hating it. I hate routine too. I live in a tiny flat, no garden. I’m so bored. Only positive things I have going on is washing, ironing and learning Portuguese.. I hate going for walks by myself. Sorry, I’m not much help.

BradfordLass73 Thu 02-Apr-20 22:38:09

MawB Loved it!

rowanflower0 Take heart, remember 'the slush pile' is always bigger than the ones which get the follow-up letter.

What helps me stay positive?

Remembering I've survived the last 5 horrific years and thinking back to the many times in my life when things were much MUCH worse for me than they are now. A bit of isolation is nothing.

Of course I am very sad for the world and especially those in real peril but in my own little bubble, I am selfishly contended.

Bridie22 Thu 02-Apr-20 22:11:55

I am positive that tomorrow I will get a food delivery slot.

Joesoap Thu 02-Apr-20 21:54:58

Not spending as much money these days.
Getting into the garden whenever weather permitting, and pottering around. As always reading GN.
Writing a lot of e mails and ringing people.
Not looking at the news on TV as much.
Looking forward to feedom when its over!

Gingster Thu 02-Apr-20 20:56:02

Sorry I think this was supposed to go on another thread. Don’t know how that happened. Apologies for bringing the positive vibe down

Gingster Thu 02-Apr-20 20:52:43

This has been waiting to happen for a long time. Something had to give! Life was getting more and more frantic, travelling by car frustrating and stressful, air travel and train travel the same. Environmental issues becoming dangerously irrevocable. Etc etc. People needing to have it all. Pace of life faster and faster. We were well overdue to stop and take a breath. Well we are certainly taking one now.

Monica53 Thu 02-Apr-20 20:28:03

Seeing videos of my grandchildren every day, reading, doing jigsaws, baking, not having to get dressed until 10 am if I don't want to, not thinking I will have to go to bed because I have to be up early!

Thisismyname1953 Thu 02-Apr-20 19:10:06

I tend not to worry about things that might never happen. I also tend to think what will be will be. I could catch the virus any day now but I’m not going to get in a tizz . My daughter is a nurse on the front line with very little equipment ( the best stuff goes to ITU staff ) . She found out this afternoon that 2 nurses that she worked very closely with at the beginning of the week have come down with it . She has just left for work on the night shift.
If she does get it so will her husband and daughter, and so will I because I live with them . Not to worry , worse things happen at sea and I am just going to read my usual book a day to keep my mind off things ?

craftyone Thu 02-Apr-20 18:47:20

skipping reading the very bad experiences that some people go through when 80% are doing ok but are not newsworthy

Eating/juicing much veg and am managing about 12 a day and cycling once a day

Being cosy on my own in my own home with a developing garden and lots of hobbies, I don`t need to ask or consult anyone, I can do what I want when I want

Sawsage2 Thu 02-Apr-20 18:47:06

Wonderful!?

Fennel Thu 02-Apr-20 18:29:24

Trying to plan a daily routine which complies with both the govt. regs and our religious regs,
ie Easter and Passover occur soon.

merlotgran Thu 02-Apr-20 18:24:01

I will, Thank you.

Luckygirl Thu 02-Apr-20 18:15:01

Also try Rebecca Clarke - she was born in the 1880s and died in 1979. So she was alive when women composers were ignored. Her viola sonata is something else!!!

merlotgran Thu 02-Apr-20 17:48:15

Luckygirl and others.

Thanks for the suggestion of exploring new music.

I'll start with Rebecca Dale tonight.

merlotgran Thu 02-Apr-20 17:46:18

What are your tips?

Gin!

grin

lizzypopbottle Thu 02-Apr-20 17:35:38

You've probably heard it before but.....
Karate is what's helping me to stay positive. I've been training so hard to take my 5th dan grading exam, which should've taken place on the 19th of this month. Now all such events and gatherings are cancelled and it's very disappointing but our excellent club instructor is running six classes every week via Zoom and I'm doing all of them. As well as the karate sessions, we get to see people's front rooms ? although some are training in the garden and one in his empty, featureless garage. ?