Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Does anyone still use Facebook these days?

(109 Posts)
Judy54 Thu 02-Apr-20 17:24:35

I don't use social media, apart from Granset and am a complete novice. Friends and family are keeping in touch by phone, email and text which is great. However groups that I belong to have set up pages on Whatsapp and/or Facebook. I can't acccess whattsapp as I don't have a smartphone so would facebook be the next best thing? It looks like there is so much more on there than groups I belong to including links to what is happening in my neighbourhood/community at this time. Any advice/tips would be most welcome.

GardenofEngland Sat 04-Apr-20 21:43:04

No

Bluegrass Sat 04-Apr-20 22:30:30

I use both Facebook but not obsessively so. WhatsApp is marvellous and I believe more secure. My favourite is WhatsApp -you can message, video link or call to individuals or groups. It is also excellent for sending and receiving photos. Why not do both?

icanhandthemback Sat 04-Apr-20 23:12:03

I do but only to communicate with people I know well like family and close friends.

GabriellaG54 Sun 05-Apr-20 02:05:02

No. Never have and never will.

GabriellaG54 Sun 05-Apr-20 02:49:35

We have Nextdoor. I think there are other Nextdoor groups around the country.
All sorts of items wanted or for sale. Advice both sought and offered on everything from gardening to IT glitches, odd jobs wanted and services offered plus recommends given. There's a fun section on some areas of Nextdoor, it depends on who posts what, but it's local to you.
A great community idea.

May7 Sun 05-Apr-20 02:51:28

I think I must be the most short lived face booker. Signed up on Monday primarily to see what’s going on community wise for elderly parents. Quick look round... far too stalkerish for me and by me by the evening deleted account. Only it’s not deleted its pending delete for 30days. ? give me WhatsApp anyday

BlueBelle Sun 05-Apr-20 06:39:45

Fb is my winner and yesterday it proved a big point for me
Like many places it has setup a local help group all people in the group have to be approved and checked so no rogues It is mainly for delivering food and medications but yesterday it proved a winner my 83 year old friend had no internet for some days her router needed resetting and it was in an area she couldn’t get down to under her late husbands built in desk the provider wasn’t providing any help no technicians going out so she had psyched herself up to no internet for x number of months
She uses it for emails buying online and watching catch ups so really pretty necessary She has never used fb and like many who don’t know it decries it I asked her if she minded me seeing if I could get her any help though it she was up for anything Within a couple of hours a lovely young man had gone round keeping a distance between them fixed it and gone she is a very happy lady

BlueBelle Sun 05-Apr-20 06:44:34

There is absolutely nothing stalkish about FB if used correctly may7 you use your privacy settings and choose your ‘friends’ wisely and it’s a boon,
If you have a closed mind to anything it will seem alien a few hours won’t show you all the good things it can be and do

Pikachu Sun 05-Apr-20 07:38:15

Stalkerish?

Sparklefizz Sun 05-Apr-20 08:37:03

Yes, I've used Facebook for about 15 years, initially just to see photos of children and grandchildren, but my use has expanded tremendously. I am an admin on a closed FB health group, belong to many other FB groups, and have made a lot of FB "friends" as well as keeping in touch with personal friends. I am careful with security and the information I post.

merlotgran Sun 05-Apr-20 08:43:40

Wouldn't want to be without it.

May7 Sun 05-Apr-20 09:04:37

Yes Bluebelle I quite understand what you are saying and I know all the wonderful ways it connects people. My DCs were at Uni at its inception and they loved the way they could communicate with everyone. I've also seen and heard of how FB is misused by folk. I know all about privacy setting etc. I was replying to the OP about using Facebook. I dont have a closed mind but maybe you were using the word YOU as a generic term. Its difficult when you're not face to face with someone to understand what they mean.
When I said it was too stalkerish for me I meant I could suddenly see photos and stuff from hundreds of people some I knew from past life some were friends of friends of friends etc. Some I didnt really know. I was amazed to see my photo coming up on strangers FB .I was really quite shocked at the information people put out there, especially about their children.
I then realised that my details and they were very scant were being beamed across the globe as well. That's what I meant my stalkerish. pickatchu

Daisymae Sun 05-Apr-20 09:08:49

We have a couple of village Facebook groups. They are a great means of communication and have been a way of getting help to people who need it in the current crisis.

Daisymae Sun 05-Apr-20 09:10:39

It's also useful in normal times for local recommendations for tradespeople etc

May7 Sun 05-Apr-20 09:13:36

Also meant to say we have NEXTDOOR neighbourhood online groups here which are very useful for help for /with community

gmarie Sun 05-Apr-20 09:18:13

I use it to keep up with friends and relative. I only post once in awhile but it's always fun to see the wide range of people who respond to them. The other day these included a former student, a friend who'd moved across the country, an old co-worker, my aunt, my Dil's mom, one of my son's friends, someone I play a phone game with, a teacher I supervised, and my high school economics teacher!

sevenkidsnotv Sun 05-Apr-20 17:01:33

Yes, it's the perfect way to keep in touch with my kids , Grandkids, neighbours and the rest of my family and friends who are spread all over the country (and those abroad ) .
It has helped to keep me sane over the last 3 weeks. I have picked up recipes, and info on local help and food deliveries/Garden supplies deliveries.
Couldn't do without it at the moment.

Mypennyfarthing41 Sun 05-Apr-20 17:51:22

I've never been a fan of Facebook, or any social media. Its not my scene. The only social network l belong to is Gransnet. And frankly this is rather clique..y... so l don't really bother. I've no time for vicious gossip,
The only times that people are genuine, and not sycophantic, and there's plenty on here who are, verbally licking others behinds - sorry folks, but the description does fit- yuck; is when people are talking about their animals. Far more interesting.

Mypennyfarthing41 Sun 05-Apr-20 18:04:10

What is Next Door please

3nanny6 Sun 05-Apr-20 18:08:43

I have never used Facebook and never will as I have no interest in it. do not bother with many other social media sites either.

I often used to listen to my son and daughter discussing all the arguments that were happening on Facebook and all the fights going on about who posted what on each others wall. They no longer use Facebook.
Who wants a social media platform if they just want to engage in bad behaviour on it that defeats the object.

ExD Sun 05-Apr-20 18:15:42

Don't bother with things like 'Walls' and remember all kindsof people can see stuff you post on there. And when you make out your 'profile' I advise not putting too much of there - make it vague. When asked to state where you're from just put the county (or nothing at all) and the same with family and friends.
I suggest you sign up then spend a week or so just 'lurking' until you find something you'd like to comment on. There's no more unpleasantness than there is on here, so its easily ignored.

Callistemon Sun 05-Apr-20 18:19:55

Well, 3nanny6 I've never seen arguments on FB, only happy posts and some anguished posts from refugee camps.

It depends who your friends and family are, I suppose.

notanan2 Sun 05-Apr-20 18:21:28

I often used to listen to my son and daughter discussing all the arguments that were happening on Facebook and all the fights going on about who posted what on each others wall. They no longer use Facebook.

Was that a while ago? People dont really post on peoples walls much these days its more used for sharing community info. It has changed a lot

Callistemon Sun 05-Apr-20 18:22:47

M0nica perhaps you didn't have your privacy settings set high enough.

notanan2 Sun 05-Apr-20 18:28:12

Its the kind of thing that becomes extra useful in a crisis like this. Calls for help or advice on opening times for ppl struggling to get essentials etc.

And some cheer too