Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Air pollution

(10 Posts)
GagaJo Sat 04-Apr-20 10:36:14

I only fly for work. On average it’s once a year although more recently it’s been a couple of times.

As far as teaching from home, long term, it is possible I suppose but it’s not good for the students. Although neither is 35 children in a classroom.

morethan2 Sat 04-Apr-20 10:18:25

My husband keeps saying that the air smells fresher, I haven’t noticed it myself. What I have noticed is the silence.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 03-Apr-20 16:18:08

Urmstongran please do not feel guilty, we shall still fly to visit family abroad as will many others including many Gransnetters.

Urmstongran Fri 03-Apr-20 16:10:28

You’re making me feel guilty now EV. The upside is once we’re in Spain we walk or use public transport.
?

EllanVannin Fri 03-Apr-20 15:32:03

I hope there isn't a mad rush to go abroad when this is over for as sure as eggs are eggs this virus will rear its ugly head again, just in time for winter.

AGAA4 Fri 03-Apr-20 15:24:18

Maybe it is time to think about what we have done to our planet. If people can work from home during this pandemic then surely this can be carried on and reduce pollution from transport.

Also we don't know if this has permanently damaged airlines and perhaps travel will be more expensive which will also have an impact. Do people really need 4 holidays abroad every year?

I hope that after this pandemic nightmare we may give our children and grandchildren cleaner air and a safer a environment.

Davidhs Fri 03-Apr-20 15:21:43

The smog in Delhi disappeared too a vast difference

EllanVannin Fri 03-Apr-20 15:21:01

I know from my net curtains that I have on the kitchen window. The side where the window has been open goes a dirty brown colour while the other half inside remains white and I thought the air was pure enough living close to the sea so I don't know where the muck comes from only that the net acts as a filter when the window's open.

Septimia Fri 03-Apr-20 15:13:09

There was a map online a few days ago showing how the air quality over China had improved. I can't remember where I saw it, though. I haven't seen anything more recently, or for other parts of the world.

Like the animals wandering into the now quiet towns, the lack of industry and traffic must be worth studying.

Lizbethann55 Fri 03-Apr-20 14:00:28

There is no doubt that this virus is horrendous. But it must be giving a chance for the planet to heal. Does anyone know if any scientific research has been done on the state of air pollution around the world since this all started? I am sure I read that the hole in the ozone layer is closing, but that may be "Facebook truth ".