Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Lockdown, how long?

(24 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Mon 06-Apr-20 19:37:57

I have a feeling it will be September, but who knows, just take each day as it comes and try and keep positive

tanith Mon 06-Apr-20 19:32:01

I feel it will be at least July/August time .

Fennel Mon 06-Apr-20 19:29:57

There are reports from the countries most seriously affected that the tide could be beginning to turn. After reaching its peak.
Either the precautions have been successful, or the virus is beginning to lose its power.
Before it mutates into something else.
Or God is hearing our prayers.

Taichinan Mon 06-Apr-20 19:19:36

My feeling from the beginning was that we'd be isolated until September-ish. I don't know why - just an intuitive feeling. And I'm also concerned as to what will happen when we who have been isolated for six months or so re-enter society - we will have built up no immunity at all.

suziewoozie Mon 06-Apr-20 19:17:34

I think the first thing we have to wait for is strong evidence that we’ve peaked and are going down the other side

SalsaQueen Mon 06-Apr-20 18:52:38

Even the "experts" cannot predict when this situation will end. The Prime Minister said, when he announced that pubs, cafes, etc, were to close, that he would review things in 3 weeks. It will be 3 weeks on Friday, so perhaps we'll know something then.

dragonfly46 Mon 06-Apr-20 18:46:32

I just want to know when my DD can pick up her doggie!

Riverwalk Mon 06-Apr-20 18:42:10

I think sooner rather than later - weeks not months.

Charleygirl5 Mon 06-Apr-20 18:38:31

I live in London and have September in mind but if morons continue to sunbathe in parks the minute the sun appears there is no end to it.

suziewoozie Mon 06-Apr-20 18:36:52

I actually find it easier to cope if I don’t think ahead because I find that too full of depressing scenarios

GagaJo Mon 06-Apr-20 18:34:26

I think we’ve got at least 3 months. If we do it properly, we might get away with that. If things continue as they are though, I think it’ll be all summer.

Greymar Mon 06-Apr-20 18:33:57

I'm not asking Are We Nearly there Yet?

I am reaching out to other people, in an effort to make sense of things and garner some opinions.

Missfoodlove Mon 06-Apr-20 18:31:30

Watch the rest of Europe and that will give us a clue.
CZ where my son lives are reopening some shops and allowing people out to exercise, they are 1 month in to lockdown.

Eglantine21 Mon 06-Apr-20 18:31:01

We need to school ourselves to a long haul, I think.

There’s no quick fix to this. We’re still in the absolute thick of it.

I don’t think we can start asking “Are we nearly there yet”??‍♀️?

Chestnut Mon 06-Apr-20 18:19:53

BlueSky - that's why I said elderly and vulnerable will have to self isolate or social distance until there is a vaccine if they want to stay safe.

SueDonim Mon 06-Apr-20 18:19:11

I wonder if it will vary area by area. Where I live we’re currently not too badly affected so if rates continue to fall, maybe the lockdown will be eased earlier. Or maybe it will be eased a little then tightened again if it flares up.

I think it might also depend on whether we get this antibody test, too. If we can know we have had the virus and are immune it will make it more feasible to go out into the world again.

BlueSky Mon 06-Apr-20 18:14:01

What worries me is that the virus will still be there, I know hospitals will be better able to help us but we are just delaying us oldies getting it!

Chestnut Mon 06-Apr-20 18:13:40

Just to add, I think even if people go back to work I think social distancing will become a way of life until we have control over this virus and that won't be until we have the vaccine.

Calendargirl Mon 06-Apr-20 18:13:09

I think schools won’t return until September?

Greymar Mon 06-Apr-20 18:13:04

" any sense" not " knows"

Chestnut Mon 06-Apr-20 18:11:12

I don't think anyone knows but they are trying to plan an exit strategy. It's a fine balance between lives and the economy and there's no easy answer. I think the elderly and vulnerable will have to isolate or at least social distance for quite a while whilst the younger ones attempt to get the economy working again by going back to work. Lives will be at risk but the alternative is economic breakdown.

Greymar Mon 06-Apr-20 18:10:35

It is one of the things we struggle with, the unknown.

A lot of this stuff is hardwired from our past. We would need to know when the berries were going to run out, the tigers were going to attack and the storm would be over.

gillybob Mon 06-Apr-20 18:06:55

I’ve been thinking the same Greymar . With us all in lockdown the figures will surely go down but what will happen once we are allowed out again? I can’t see an easy end to this .

Greymar Mon 06-Apr-20 18:05:22

Does anybody have any sense of how long the present situation may last?

(Please do not attack me for asking this)

Thanks