Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Extreme measures for those flouting the rules

(23 Posts)
SueDonim Thu 09-Apr-20 13:58:52

I’ve since heard that the woman in the video belongs to some sort of ‘freedom’ group which challenges anything they deem as being against their rights.

I certainly know now why I’d be a terrible police officer! I wouldn’t have the patience. The statement that she would only be infecting herself is ridiculous - who does she think will care for her if she becomes seriously ill with it?

Chestnut Thu 09-Apr-20 11:25:52

I saw a similar confrontation with a Policeman filmed some time ago. Only worse. It was a man dressed in one of those gruesome scary helmets (a skull or something) hanging around outside a school frightening the children. Same as the woman, he was arguing about his 'rights' in a really confrontational way and dragging it out with an answer to everything the copper said. Wow, did he make me angry! ?
I wanted the copper to arrest him for obstructing the law, but he was much too patient! It went on for ages.

Manmar2 Thu 09-Apr-20 11:22:51

What an appalling, selfish woman. Unbelievable arrogance. Hope they locked her up.

V3ra Thu 09-Apr-20 10:54:39

My son is a Police Officer and he's coming home absolutely drained. The streets are generally quiet and there's not a lot of trouble as such, but it's so frustrating and tiresome for him and his colleagues having to break up groups of people all the time.
How that officer in the film kept his cool is unbelievable. Wouldn't she just have loved to be handcuffed? She's beneath contempt.

EllanVannin Thu 09-Apr-20 09:43:08

Australia are fining 1,000 dollars to those who are flouting the rules deliberately.

Septimia Thu 09-Apr-20 09:39:20

Perhaps people who are flouting the rules should have their identities checked and then be told that, if they get ill, they will be at the back of the queue for medical treatment.

Chestnut Thu 09-Apr-20 09:26:32

I agree Missfoodlove - shove the water cannon straight through the window and into her mouth! If only........ ?
Exercising mentally! Lock her in a cell for 48 hours and she'll have plenty of time to meditate on being a smart-arse and wasting Police time.

Oldwoman70 Thu 09-Apr-20 09:18:11

Obviously a very arrogant self opinionated woman who thinks she knows the law (a little knowledge is a dangerous thing). "I'm only infecting myself" what an idiot. You can tell she is enjoying the attention - probably done deliberately to get lots of internet "likes".

Sunlover Thu 09-Apr-20 09:11:23

Horrid woman. Selfish attitude.

Smileless2012 Thu 09-Apr-20 09:08:39

We live in a coastal town, the car parks have been closed and there's an almost constant police presence on the sea front and in the town.

Missfoodlove Thu 09-Apr-20 09:01:57

Jesus that woman! I would have had the water cannons on her then a taser for good measure.
What a waste of Police time.
The arrogance is astounding.
She and people like her are the reason London hospitals are struggling.
She was goading the Police, nasty selfish woman.
Grrrrrrr,I’m so angry.

Washerwoman Thu 09-Apr-20 07:18:46

I've actually been wondering how Greece has been faring as we don't hear much, and they have had a terrible time economically in the last decade or so.Apparently seeing what was happening in Italy they went into lockdown early knowing their creaking health system just wouldn't cope.And there is no messing there with on the spot fines for anyone not observing lockdown rules.
It will be interesting to see how things go in Sweden too.We know several Swedish people and they have a very different attitude generally-one of collective social consciousness so not making unnecessary trips out and social distancing are done as a matter of course for the greater good.Or so it seems.Unfortunately too many British people have a 'sod you no ones telling me what to do attitude'you only have to look at the litter blighting our country to see that.That is one positive of this horrible situation.Less cars,quiter roads and noticeably far less litter in the verges.Maybe staying at home more will remind some people they actually have bins at home !

BlueBelle Thu 09-Apr-20 06:53:53

I think instead of punishing the people who are obeying the rules (by giving stricter or longer lock downs) send the army plus police (crime is right down so they should be able to do it without impinging on their duties) to walk around the streets especially at hot spots we all know where they are, parks, kids skate parks, etc etc and fine on the spot, if they are children fine the parents £50 a time Have tickets like traffic wardens

Washerwoman Thu 09-Apr-20 06:27:11

Yesterday I walked from home with my dogs to nearby woods for my one exercise period.Its a popular walk people often drive to from other parts of town.Sure enough there were several cars in the usual parking area.Someone I know vaguely was there walking with a friend.They don't live together.Both have glorious walks from their own houses. And as we chatted from a distance briefly one even said it's naughty but I sneak out for a second walk later in the day.So that's driving unnecessarily,meeting someone from another household and not observing one exercise slot.They then asked how my family was.Ok I said brightly but firmly but with an ICU nurse,police officer and teacher in the family all doing their bit it's a pretty stressful time.That's why I've walked here on my own ,haven't been shopping for days and miss seeing my friends and family in person especially the grandchildren who only live round the corner, but what else can we do .Then walked off seething.Of course some people are doing far worse, house parties etc.But it's this tweaking of the guidelines by so many thinking they are somehow special that infuriates.
And that woman in the video- grrr.
How clever she thinks she is.I wish that police officer had slapped a fine on her for her attitude alone.

growstuff Thu 09-Apr-20 01:52:52

Some people just do not seem to understand and/or accept that it might be perfectly safe for them to flout the rules, but the rules have to apply to everybody and one individual does not have preferential rights.

Teacheranne Thu 09-Apr-20 01:47:33

While I was queuing up to go into a local shop this morning, everyone standing at least six feet away, a man with a couple of children joined the back of the small queue. He allowed the children to run around chasing each other in and out of the queue, going very close to people and even bumping into someone! The man was on his phone the whole time and took no notice of the children.

Eventually, the manager of the shop came out and spoke to him, telling him to keep his children under control or he would be asked to leave the queue. He did then call then children back to his side but he did not look happy!

newnanny Thu 09-Apr-20 00:04:01

That is shocking Poppy.

I rang the police last week when a house seemed to be holding a party with very loud music and so many people coming to the house. The police came shut the party down and dispersed them.

I think they should be fined. They are making the police job so much harder and endangering everyone.

In the Midlands we are now the epicentre as on news they said more new cases here than in London over last 2 days.

I have not been out as sheltering but just looking out of window some children were playing outside yesterday and not in their own gardens.

The NHS will not be able to cope and there will not be enough respirators for all that need them.

growstuff Wed 08-Apr-20 23:43:48

Selfish woman, who obviously thinks she's clever and above the spirit of the law and doesn't understand the common good or public health.

SueDonim Wed 08-Apr-20 23:27:44

Give them community service - cleaning the coronavirus wards of their local hospital.

Has anyone else seen this film? Some of the comments underneath support her but everyone I know who has seen it thinks she’s ridiculous. www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=L5Er2ESrYJI&app=desktop

harrigran Wed 08-Apr-20 23:17:28

There are photographs on one of our local FB pages, young boys on bikes sitting together.
I suggested the police take them to see the ten morgue wagons parked up at the rear of our hospital. They are not immortal and need a sharp reminder.

Callistemon Wed 08-Apr-20 23:14:26

Where were the police when you need them , PoppyD?

PoppyD Wed 08-Apr-20 22:57:35

I live in a small coastal village. Today the harbour wall had groups of people sitting side by side in the sunshine, the car park was full. The shops, pubs and cafe all closed but still they come. WHY?

grannyrebel7 Wed 08-Apr-20 22:15:50

Does anyone agree that those caught flouting the rules should be fined heavily on the spot or actually arrested? Why should these selfish people put others at risk and potentially put us all on a stricter lockdown?