Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Daily briefing being led by Priti Patel

(110 Posts)
tanith Sat 11-Apr-20 16:06:09

Today's update is being led by Priti today, maybe they saw our thread ?

Callistemon Sun 12-Apr-20 09:58:14

hmm I can hear my mother:

"Two wrongs don't make a right"

Not that I was horrible about Dianne, but those who were, were accused of being racist even if they were only criticising her maths.
Now, is that the same here? Oblique racism but criticising Priti's facial expressions and accent?

Greymar Sun 12-Apr-20 09:55:27

Oh dear, Diane isn't a very attractive woman or is she?

Whitewavemark2 Sun 12-Apr-20 09:53:21

lully and when people on here were laughing and in your words spiteful about Abbott?

What goes around comes around.

Eloethan Sun 12-Apr-20 09:24:38

From the age of 8 to 13 I lived in Romford - a very "working class" area of outer east London, and I guess you would say I have a slightly cockney (or some might call it "estuary English") accent. I have a friend who is very cockney but she doesn't drop the gs at the end of words.

Commenting about the dropped gs is nothing to do with being snobbish or it being because Patel is a Conservative. I mentioned Sadiq Khan and he's Labour, and Beth Rigby is a political commentator, so nobody knows her political affiliations.

And, by the way, I don't recall any of the people who have accused some Gransnetters of snobbery complaining about this:

"At last week’s leadership launch, the BBC’s Laura Kuenssberg and then Sky’s Beth Rigby asked him [Johnson] about accusations that his campaign was a “chaotic mess” and then about his character. Johnson’s response was not to provide a riposte to the concerns among his former colleagues about whether he is “fit to be prime minister”; it was to laugh at Rigby’s accent."

LullyDully Sun 12-Apr-20 08:31:17

She has a job to do to inform us what is happening. Who care what she looks like, how she speaks? There is more to worry about than dropping a g at the end of a word. Keep the spite in your own mind.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 12-Apr-20 03:06:32

And whilst we are on the subject of Patels failinGs - anybody got a clue as to how to how many tests have been carried out?

Sounds approximately twelvty to me although I could be wrong.

According to Patel (now trending as Pritiawful) it is

300044,900074. Not a number that slips off the tongue with ease, except of course the Bully of the Home Office.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 12-Apr-20 02:58:58

Yes eleothan!! They do. It is irritating.

Callistemon Sun 12-Apr-20 00:05:50

Failing - do not pronounce the g

It is irrelevant anyway.

Callistemon Sun 12-Apr-20 00:05:09

failings
Yes, you should pronounce the g
But not I dailing

And yes, discuss the failings but not the accent.

Eloethan Sat 11-Apr-20 23:58:03

Dropping the "g" off the end of words gets on my nerves too. Pritti Patel is not the only one. Sadiq Khan and Beth Rigby do it too.

Patel said "I am sorry if people feel that there have been failings" The people to whom she refers don't feel that there have been failings, they know there have been failings. She spoke about it as if it were a matter for debate.

Of course, this crisis is something beyond what we have ever experienced and there were bound to be difficulties. However, this government has been very slow throughout to respond with a sense of urgency and it is hardly surprising that, having been told for weeks now that "much more" PPE equipment would soon be available, those who are at serious risk are losing their patience.

Callistemon Sat 11-Apr-20 23:55:34

If she came from the Midlands probably posters would be complaining that she pronounced the 'g' at the end of 'ing' when she shouldn't.
Pathetic.

lemongrove Sat 11-Apr-20 22:57:32

Am guessing you never saw Star Wars.Time to lighten up?

Dollymc1 Sat 11-Apr-20 22:55:14

Lemon, I'm not kidding
Come on now 'the dark side' really?
Elaborate please

lemongrove Sat 11-Apr-20 22:46:59

Inflammatory Dolly are you kidding? ?
May the force be with you.

Dollymc1 Sat 11-Apr-20 22:23:39

GransyGravy13, going over to 'the dark side' is pretty inflammatory, perhaps you'd like to rephrase that?

Dollymc1 Sat 11-Apr-20 22:18:35

Tickingbird, I agree she is a very attractive woman
However, that does not negate her ineptitude
From Hancock's repugnant blaming NHS staff for overuse of PPE equipment, to Johnson's plan of herd immunity , they are at best inept and , at worst, I have no words

SirChenjin Sat 11-Apr-20 21:59:59

I did see that White grin It must be hard to work virtually every single day the last three weeks as well as seven days a week and three day, and say big numbers with thousands and hundreds and a few more thousands. I wonder why she’s not seen out more often? confused

May7 Sat 11-Apr-20 21:44:11

Can somebody tell me what's this heart hand thingy picture she wants us to display in our windows in support of victims of domestic abuse ?? I thought she was doing a campaign at first and she'd designed a logo then I realised she was actually serious. Does this logo exist?
(this is a genuine question)

Whitewavemark2 Sat 11-Apr-20 19:32:28

She was hopeless

MissAdventure Sat 11-Apr-20 19:31:09

smile

Exactly!

Eglantine21 Sat 11-Apr-20 19:30:13

It’s as relevant as she doesn’t prouncec a. ‘g’

That is , neither of them have any relevance.......

Greymar Sat 11-Apr-20 19:28:16

She’s a very attractive woman

And this is relevant because?

Eglantine21 Sat 11-Apr-20 19:26:17

If you’ve got a good point to make you don’t need to twist the facts.

It shows a weakness in your argument.

Eglantine21 Sat 11-Apr-20 19:24:18

Oh a misquote.

If it didn’t really happen, make it up?

Ellianne Sat 11-Apr-20 19:23:01

Of course she was going to trip up on something, but her message was clear especially in the summing up.

We have lots of nurses, teachers, shop assistants who also speak like that in Essex, but they do a jolly good job and I am proud of them. She might be very good at her job too, but not so good at speaking. So what?