Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Mother in Law

(8 Posts)
Whipped1965 Sun 12-Apr-20 08:18:57

Wondered if any other wives have husbands who are more concerned about their mother above all other family, for example in these very concerning times husband will shop for completely unnecessary items, daily paper etc, just to please his mother with total disregard for any danger he may put his daughter or granddaughter in, just so long as he pleases his mother

notnecessarilywiser Sun 12-Apr-20 09:11:45

If she lives on her own he's probably rationalising that the benefits outweigh the risks because at least he's living in a family unit with company and human contact.

Alternatively, he's glad of an excuse to get out of the house.

The pressures of the current situation seem to affect different people in different ways. We all need to cut each other some slack.

Smileless2012 Sun 12-Apr-20 09:17:08

notnecessarilywise a good responsesmile

annab275 Sun 12-Apr-20 11:57:13

yes I live with one of those very dutiful sons. He is trying to restrict his visits there to twice a week but when he arrives, she says she has run out of broccoli or something. It's putting him under quite a lot stress. I have suggested she writes a list a couple of days before he is due to go and see her and one of us will try and get the items. As it is, her local shop delivers but last Monday she ran out of cigarettes, planned to pick them from her ex daughter in law's door step 5 miles away (as she works in the local shop) and managed to fall over and hurt her head and hand. No answer from 999 so her son drives over, picks her up and takes her home. Luckily he wore gloves and a mask. But we could have done without it. I think she is just beginning to get that she is supposed to be staying at home (over 75 poor health).

Guineagirl Sun 12-Apr-20 12:06:15

Not necessarily wiser agree excuse to get out. Hilariously the old lady’s dog next door has all family turning up to take the dog out who before this didn’t visit, the poor thing must think not again. People find loop holes to get out, wish I could find one,

ninathenana Sun 12-Apr-20 12:30:22

DH is still walking to collecting his daily paper. He counts it as his daily excersise.
If MiL lives within walking distance it would be the same.

sodapop Sun 12-Apr-20 12:30:33

grinGuineagirl

I agree notneccessarilywiser we do what feels right at the time.

M0nica Sun 12-Apr-20 15:45:00

*Whipped 1965. I suspect that there is nothing unusual about his behaviour and that his mother has called the tune throughout your marriage.

Why expect a change now?