Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Reporting on neighbours for having visitors

(7 Posts)
NannyDene Mon 13-Apr-20 16:14:26

I fully realise the terrible situation we are in at the moment with the Coronavirus. l have family members who are in various roles as essential workers, and in the past would have been on the frontline myself. I am a retired nurse, now over 70. However, does anyone else feel uncomfortable about being asked to spy on their neighbours and report them for having visitors? It feels a bit like living with the secret police.

Daisymae Mon 13-Apr-20 16:16:52

Yes it does and personally I would not dream of reporting anyone. This is not a police state and the powers that should be taking the public with them. By and large people are complying, certainly the vast majority.

Tangerine Mon 13-Apr-20 16:17:26

I keep reading different things. Somewhere I am sure I read that the Police do not want people to keep reporting things like this because they haven't got the man/womanpower to deal with every incident.

I do admit that I read this a week or so ago so perhaps things are different.

All I can say is this. I have seen things that I thought were quite wrong but, when I see people from different households entering people's homes, I can't honestly say I know the occupants' health or circumstances.

I think you have to be very sure before you report people. I think this in all sorts of circumstances, not just Covid-19.

Ilovecheese Mon 13-Apr-20 16:18:50

I wouldn't report anyone, you just don't know their circumstances.

EllanVannin Mon 13-Apr-20 16:22:49

I wouldn't snitch on anyone, but at the same time I'd be thinking that it's literally their funeral should anyone fall seriously ill.
So long as people know what they're facing each time they " break the law ". A wooden overcoat to put it bluntly.

Tangerine Mon 13-Apr-20 16:27:01

I might report something very obviously wrong such as a whole crowd having a barbecue but still wonder if the Police aren't overrun with work as it is.

Chewbacca Mon 13-Apr-20 16:49:01

I posted on another thread about this a few days ago: a gang of about 20 youths were congregating in a local woodland near where I live. They were drinking a d partying and riding their bikes through the woods until late in the evening. The police were informed several times but nothing appeared to be done. After about a week of this, the boys decided to make an obstacle course out of fallen trees and logs. The inevitable happened and one of them had to be airlifted to hospital with 2 broken legs and a broken shoulder. All of the emergency services were involved, including the police. The following night, and every night since, the same gang continue to congregate in the same place. The owner of the woodland and his immediate neighbours have repeatedly informed the police but nothing has been done. I'm wondering if they're concentrating on densely populated areas to patrol, rather than rural areas.