Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Should I interfere?

(20 Posts)
Philippa60 Thu 16-Apr-20 09:42:57

Sorry for the rant, but I am getting SO frustrated by people around me not following the rules. Where I live it is now compulsory to wear face masks whenever leaving the house. I see more than half of the people around me NOT wearing a face mask. I am so tempted to gesture at them like "why no mask?"... DH tells me to mind my own business but I think it IS all of our business because we all succeed or fail together at this.
Another issue is my neighbors several of whom continue to have gatherings of family and friends coming over.
I guess there's nothing to be done as it's in their own houses, but it makes me so mad.
Other than that we are doing OK. I am used to working from home and actually enjoying connecting with friends on Zoom.
Main issue like most of us is missing the kids and grandkids.
But I am very aware that we are relatively comfortable in our house and garden.
Vent over!
Stay well, everyone

Susan55 Fri 17-Apr-20 10:50:28

The only person who is likely to suffer from getting frustrated is 'you', so don't let yourself do it. Frustration and anger both reduce immunity! Best to stay calm and peaceful, turn a blind eye to other people and concentrate on doing things that make you feel peaceful and happy.

Philippa60 Fri 17-Apr-20 17:57:25

Thanks, Susan, I am sure you are right!

Susan55 Fri 17-Apr-20 19:00:17

@Philippa60
You mentioned it is compulsory that people wear face masks in your area. This is not the case where I live in the Midlands. Can I ask what part of the country you live where face masks are compulsory?

SueDonim Fri 17-Apr-20 20:30:17

I don’t possess any face masks and I don’t know where to buy one. All my local chemists shops seem to have notices on the door saying they don’t currently stock face masks, thermometers etc.

Family gatherings may well be breaking the rules but unless you’re prepared to intervene or to call the police, I don’t think there’s any point in getting het about it.

vampirequeen Sat 18-Apr-20 10:47:35

Where do you live? Face masks are not compulsory where I live.

Gran52 Sat 18-Apr-20 14:30:29

Face masks are not compulsory in UK.... I agree with your DH

Purpledaffodil Sat 18-Apr-20 14:36:49

They are in Singapore. In fact residents were issued with them. Very organised the Singaporeans.

Jane10 Sat 18-Apr-20 14:38:14

I don't know where we could get face masks even if they were compulsory.

Sussexborn Sat 18-Apr-20 14:48:31

Someone must have been braver than me and reported my neighbour. They had two extended family gatherings over Easter with the grandmother working on the till in a supermarket. All has gone quiet since then and I haven’t seen the grandmother in the shop but I’ve only been in once.

Sussexborn Sat 18-Apr-20 14:51:32

Do you have any filter bags from hoovers? Coffee filter papers? Lots of suggestions on you tube. Some more sensible than others.

AGAA4 Sat 18-Apr-20 15:52:23

Unless face masks are of the quality the NHS uses they don't stop you catching Covid but they can stop someone else from giving it to you.

I think it may be a good idea for people to wear something over their nose and mouth because if they sneeze much of the infection will be caught in the mask instead of spreading to other people.

But it isn't compulsory where I live.

PamelaJ1 Sat 18-Apr-20 19:09:55

The advice about masks is a little confusing, however, what I can’t understand is why anyone would go out if they were coughing or sneezing.
If it’s the law where you are Phillippa it’s up to the authorities to police the rules. Either report or relax. I’d be cross too.

Philippa60 Sun 19-Apr-20 13:34:03

Hi, I am from the UK (London) but now living in Israel.
It became compulsory to wear a mask here whenever leaving the house a week ago, and from today it's being enforced by way of the police fining you (about 35 pounds) if you are not wearing one so I think the problem will work itself out.
Plenty of simple masks are now available in chemists and other places here - but we've been told to make them ourselves from any cloth if not available to buy. The N95s are only for medical workers.
We started lockdown a week or two before the UK and just today the regulations are being eased a bit - more shops allowed to open for example.
Schools still shut for a while longer for sure.
Take care everyone

notanan2 Sun 19-Apr-20 14:18:49

It wont achieve anything

Philippa60 Sun 19-Apr-20 15:44:38

What won't achieve anything, notanan2? Wearing masks or telling people they should be?!

notanan2 Sun 19-Apr-20 22:48:03

"Should I interfere"
What do you think it will achieve.
Did anyone ever say "oh I changed my mind when some random woman on the street had a go at me". Ever?

welbeck Mon 20-Apr-20 00:08:07

i guess you could report them, but i;d be wary of challenging them directly, as they could take it out on you later, esp as incomers.

BlueBelle Mon 20-Apr-20 05:15:41

No you don’t need to interfere, look after yourself and your own familyphillipa
face masks are presumable useless in fact I think they could give you a false sense of protection
Anyway good luck over therev

Daisymae Mon 20-Apr-20 09:04:18

Actually masks are effective in reducing spread, even fabric ones. Many countries are now advising use. As usual we are well behind the curve