Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Shopping ‘ infrequently’ during lockdown

(100 Posts)
NotAGran55 Fri 17-Apr-20 06:37:37

Just as a matter of interest , what does this mean to you ?

I am shopping today for the 3rd time since March 21st for a family of 3 , 64, 60 & 25 with no medical conditions .

Jaycee5 Sat 18-Apr-20 10:57:50

Saggi I am 67 but have been able to get slots with Sainsburys' You don't have to be within the vulnerable group it is just that they should get priority.
It takes a lot of persistence and sometimes gets very wearisome but depending on where you live you should get them. I got one at 4pm on a Sunday a couple of weeks ago and then one yesterday at 6.20am. They are putting them up randomly and just a day at a time so that you have to be lucky. When I went on yesterday morning I think they had just been put on because none had been taken so I even had a choice. It was just for the day though. If you want to try you have to be prepared to be patient and persistent. I took me about 4 days but that was logging on at least once an hour and in often more frequently.
Please don't think that you are excluded.

narrowboatnan Sat 18-Apr-20 10:51:21

We shop fortnightly in Aldi. We don’t have the storage space to do any bulk buying. Our local Aldi seems to have got things right, letting no more than 10 people in at a time and then work on a one out, one in basis and are well stocked. Trolley handles and hands are sanitised on the way in, check outs have screens to protect both customer and operator. One person per trolley, so I stay at home while my DH goes (he does the cooking and is far better at shopping than me and usually does it anyway.). I tell him he’s my sacrificial lamb, sending him out into the ‘danger zone’ ?

NfkDumpling Fri 17-Apr-20 21:13:19

You are entitled Saggi - your husband is disabled and you partially so. Your local district council should be able to provide you with contacts to help.

allium Fri 17-Apr-20 20:18:10

With a combination of a delivery slot now and again, the overnight milk service and some good farm shops seem to be getting by. Very rarely go to a supermarket during 'normal' times.

Blondiescot Fri 17-Apr-20 20:11:54

For those who are struggling, it may be worth checking if there are local groups in your area who will do shopping, collect prescriptions, etc. Your local council may be able to advise, or if you are on social media such as Facebook, check on there. We have one in our village and it's proving a great resource for anyone who is unable to get out and do shopping - not just the elderly.

Saggi Fri 17-Apr-20 19:21:55

I’m not in vulnerable group, I’m only 69 so not entitled to online slots, I have arthritis in hip and both shoulders ( extreme pain) I don’t drive, my daughter is in shielded , my son still working , and he doesn’t drive and I have a husband who is an invalid ( can’t walk). So I go shopping at least twice a week as I can’t carry much( see above). I do NOT go to large supermarkets as I’m bit scared too, so I stick to small shops . Anybody who stops me to ask why I’m out and about will get the full verbal answer. or they could do my shopping for me!

Caro57 Fri 17-Apr-20 19:16:08

Maximum once / week. I take advantage of the NHS worker times and am extremely grateful for them as DH is high risk and i really hope to avoid taking anything undesirable home

NfkDumpling Fri 17-Apr-20 19:08:00

GagaJo - What's a weekly delivery slot? I've heard others saying they have a regular weekly slot. I've only managed to get two slots with Tesco in five weeks of trying - my second one is still two weeks away.

Mollygo Fri 17-Apr-20 18:53:42

Gave up on delivery slots after a week of trying. Staying up at night on the chance I might get one stressed me out.
I shop once a week gloved and masked, change clothes into the washer when I get home same as I do after work. I wipe everything down or spray it and spray the bag.
We only have a small freezer so can’t buy much-I try to keep space in there for storing the bread. Fresh fruit and veg is easier to store.
Last week I shopped a small shop as well because my 80+ neighbour was desperate for things that hadn’t arrived in her home delivery.
We do what we can to stay safe.

Grandmama Fri 17-Apr-20 18:39:26

Until lockdown I shopped early every morning at Waitrose to spread out my shopping load to keep the weight down in my shopping trolley. Now I go early, on only three days a week, but there have been young/middle aged people in the queue during this 'elderly and vulnerable' hour. I queried this at the help counter because the website still advertises priority for the elderly etc in the first hour. On my last visit the security man spoke to several people in the queue who were not elderly, not sure if he moved elderly people forward in the queue. Will see what happens tomorrow.

growstuff Fri 17-Apr-20 18:04:50

I haven't been in any shops for a month. I've managed to get two Tesco deliveries - four weeks apart - for household items. I have veg/fruit, eggs, bread and milk delivered. I don't eat much meat or fish, but local traders will deliver those too and I'm investigating them. My biggest problem has been repeat medications, but I'm hoping that's sorted now.

Finding a use for the weird things I've found in my freezer and cupboards has been quite cathartic.

Jaycee5 Fri 17-Apr-20 18:00:28

I think that counts as infrequent.
I have been trying for a few days to get a delivery date for next week a I am running out of milk and drink (the water here tastes horrible) and low on other things.
After a few days slots came up at 6.20am this morning but just for tomorrow so of course you have to grab them. I had a large delivery 10 days ago. I didn't make it such a large delivery so that they won't have to spend so long on me but you can't let a delivery slot go. You can't guarantee you will get another one. I gave up with Morrisons and Iceland and Waitrose is a bit confusing because a pop up came up a couple of times saying there was a slot but when I tried to go to it there were none.
I would say less often than weekly and aim for every 2-3 weeks but it does depend on the number of people and you need quite a lot for 3. There is always that one thing that you run out of but I have tried to cover everything. Like crisps and micro chips in case I run out of bread or potatoes.
Some of the sites say, think of others don't book more than one a week. Frankly, I would be embarrassed to do that because some people have still not been able to get one. I think some people just try once a day and just one site so they are lessening their chances.

BBbevan Fri 17-Apr-20 17:58:39

It is day 32 for us in lockdown. I have had 2 deliveries and one due tomorrow. I have found it reasonably easy to get a delivery slot with Sainsbury’s since I registered as vulnerable.

grannypiper Fri 17-Apr-20 17:52:44

I had to go into the bank 3 weeks ago and haven't even been in my local shop since the lockdown

Freeandeasy Fri 17-Apr-20 17:47:23

I shop about every 10 days at my large Tesco about 5 miles away for myself and partner (64 and 79), two elderly neighbours and my 98 year old mother who lives in a block of sheltered housing flats. I used to enjoy food shopping but not any more. Indeed, I am finding it very stressful. I usually shop around twice a week but will limit this to as little as possible when this horrible virus is over.

My last experience at Tesco was horrible. I queued (along with everyone else) and when I reached no. 2 in the queue I suggested (very politely I might add) that it may be better, to comply with social distancing, to restrict entry to the store to only one person, as I witnessed that there were a lot of couples in the queue - obviously stating that people with children who had to accompany them or vulnerable people were exempt). She then shouted at me in a very loud voice - “Yeah, like people will take any notice, people turn up any time, taking up slots for the NHS/elderly” etc.). I tried to reason with her and agreed that some people were being selfish and that perhaps that Tesco should challenge such people and ask for ID), but she waved me on, and indeed I did move quickly when was told to, as in no way did I want to hold up the queue or to be seen to be argumentative. When I got to the no. 1 slot, the assistant letting people into the store shouted loudly “WAIT! ” I could only assume that she thought I was arguing with her colleague. The whole experience was horrible.

I know supermarket workers are doing a marvellous job, putting themselves and their families in the front line to feed us all, but give some people a “yellow” jacket and a radio they seem to turn into a mini Hitler. I hasten to add that when I went to M&S round the corner for my mum’s ready meals, as it was on the way - it was a totally different experience. Yes, we had to keep our distance but the staff, from the people organising the queue to the checkout operators, were lovely. I think when this whole thing is over it may change the way how (and where) we shop in the future. I know I will.

I only mentioned this to the queue supervisor at Tesco, as the last time I shopped, there was a group of 3 people (mother and 2 girls) - all over the age of at least 16 arguing about whether they preferred frozen chips to waffles. I had to wait several minutes to get to the freezer cabinet whilst they continued their argument. Why on earth were they all allowed to enter the store?

The whole point of social distancing is just that - keep as few people in one place as possible. I am witnessing that some couples/families (mainly younger ones) are treating an essential grocery shop as a social outing.

I came away last week quite upset about the whole experience.

PS I did email the Chief Executive at Tesco with a suggestion, where possible obviously, to only allow one person to enter the store per household. I got a reply (obviously from their marketing team, not the man himself) saying they were doing everything they could. Yes, the queue system and a one way system is good, but why on earth allow couples and families in (where it isn’t necessary). Sorry - rant over!

sarahellenwhitney Fri 17-Apr-20 16:55:01

I have been having Tesco deliveries for some time as unless I shop in the middle of the night, my Tesco being open twenty four seven, that would be the only time I would not have to get out of the way of those bringing their children who see fun in chasing one another, kids grinnot parents ,around the store.

MawB Fri 17-Apr-20 16:51:16

I alternate Ocado and Waitrose online shops , one each week and shop for my neighbour at the same time.
I haven’t always had a slot immediately but after an initial hiccup have had no problems. Ocado say they will give me a slot every 10-14 days and I can get the same from Waitrose.
I do miss going round Waitrose though.......
I feel a bit of a fraud as I am suffering no shortages (now that tinned tomatoes are available again) and if anything, am eating better than BC (before Covid)
Other than walking Hattie in and around the village, I have not been out since 13 March - oh just once to give the car a bit of a run up and down the nearest dual carriageway last Friday evening to make sure the battery was charged.
I might be turning into a bit of a recluse...

Greciangirl Fri 17-Apr-20 16:39:38

I find my bank was only allowing one person in at a time, so not too bad. Everywhere, shops supermarkets, banks all observing safe distancing etc.

Shopping. I pop out to my local small co op supermarket once a week. This morning at 10.30, no queue, and approximately three people in total shopping there. Safe distance measures, Perspex screens around tills.
Feeling a bit more confident now when shopping there.
They also seem to be very well stocked too.

lizzypopbottle Fri 17-Apr-20 15:27:40

I haven't been shopping at all except by text to my local village shop, phone to the butcher and online to Asda. So far, all have delivered. One of us will have to go out next week because Asda has no delivery slots so we've had to do click and collect.

logansnanny Fri 17-Apr-20 15:27:30

I have not been out shopping for 4 weeks,I am over 70 and vulnerable with health issues.
So far I have done on line shopping 3 times.I live on my own.

May7 Fri 17-Apr-20 14:37:13

I'm not shopping online anymore. Have always used Ocado once every 6 weeks usually looking for bargains or branded items but my shopping stuck in virtual basket since lockdown No delivery despite trying at 3am
. Therefore given up completely. I'm shopping every 10days for my elderly parents and Us. Local farm use that weekly usually and local CO OP who are doing brilliantly. My local bakers 6 shops in all across our area have closed so managed to find an enterprising person through Nextdoor who is baking and delivering so she'll get my business now and when this is over. Oh and weve decided to become Vegetarian which is unbelievable really because when we first married we both would only eat peas and carrots(resulting from being made to eat veg as kids). grin anyone got any good veggie recipes ??

Rosalyn69 Fri 17-Apr-20 14:16:46

I got a Morrison’s meat box delivered. today. I was impressed. I shared it with my son who has a vulnerable wife (and lives next door). Lots of meat and it all looked lovely. Packed in insulation with ice blocks.

GagaJo Fri 17-Apr-20 14:06:37

For those of you looking for delivery slots but having no luck, most of the supermarkets release the next 'open' days slots in the middle of the night. Midnight to about 3am. If you stay up, you need to check on the supermarkets page periodically.

The slots go in a flash, so you need to be up, check every 5 minutes or so and GRAB one if you see it.

Daytime checking is rarely any good. By the time we get up (6.30-9ish) they will be all gone.

GagaJo Fri 17-Apr-20 14:03:16

I managed to get us a weekly delivery slot, which has been great. I had to stay up multiple nights until 2 or 3am for most of a month, until eventually, BINGO, I got a slot and managed to buy a weekly delivery pass.

The terms and conditions DO warn that it isn't guaranteed that you get a delivery, but I've got long-life milk and most basics in tins/packets so we could probably live for 2 weeks without a delivery if we had to. We have a friend who goes out to shop who can get basics for us, but we don't like to ask for more than a couple of things. After that, we'd have to go out.

tanith Fri 17-Apr-20 14:01:16

First time in a month just happened to check Tesco delivery slots and got one for next Wed saves me risking a trip out.