Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

China's disparity of Coronavirus figures

(23 Posts)
NannyC2 Fri 17-Apr-20 12:02:54

Why am I not surprised?
Just picked up some latest news of China covering up Coronavirus figures -
Death toll TEN TIMES official figure, claims Wuhan resident, and, Health Authorities in Wuhan said that at least 50% more people had died from coronavirus in the Chinese city than previously disclosed.
The reason given for disparity was claimed to be the result of a statistical verification to ensure accuracy and that revision is a common international practice.

maddyone Fri 17-Apr-20 12:05:32

It doesn’t surprise me in the least.

Oopsadaisy3 Fri 17-Apr-20 12:06:07

Yes of course, common International practice.
Just confirms what we all suspected.

Smileless2012 Fri 17-Apr-20 12:07:13

It doesn't surprise me either and raises the question, what else are they covering up?

GrannyGravy13 Fri 17-Apr-20 12:07:31

No surprise here!

suziewoozie Fri 17-Apr-20 12:16:18

Why would anyone be surprised at all?

tickingbird Fri 17-Apr-20 12:26:05

If that is the case and let’s face it, it undoubtedly is, it goes against all those on here criticising our government and citing China’s sterling efforts at containing the outbreak. I never believed it and I doubt those in government, here and abroad, did either. I have read several times that several million mobile phone contracts in China have shut down. They’re hiding the true scale of this outbreak over there.

suziewoozie Fri 17-Apr-20 12:29:56

Whatever China did or didn’t do, our Governments response has been sadly lacking.

maytime2 Fri 17-Apr-20 12:33:04

At the beginning of the outbreak in China when they were shown building a new hospital within a week, I thought then, why are they doing this because the so called death rate at the time was really low. I doubted then that their figures were accurate and believe it even more so now.

Firecracker123 Fri 17-Apr-20 12:52:21

Probably still not telling us the correct figures obviously a cover up.

Urmstongran Fri 17-Apr-20 12:56:32

They must have realised we’re all not as green as we’re cabbage looking.
?

NotSpaghetti Fri 17-Apr-20 13:12:22

And WE are also not recording deaths as coronavirus either,
uk.news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-death-certificates-guidance-petition-095005492.html

Oopsadaisy3 Fri 17-Apr-20 13:28:33

I’m sure if we had been told how many people in China had died in January and February our Medical Experts might have offered the Government different advice. But nobody knows the true death figures.

NotSpaghetti Fri 17-Apr-20 13:33:48

And obviously if we (and others including China) aren't able or willing to record (for example) nursing home deaths then the whole counting thing becomes even more complex.

www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/04/16/world/europe/coronoavirus-spain-death-toll.amp.html

tickingbird Fri 17-Apr-20 13:36:34

NotSpaghetti We’re talking millions in China. Anyone that seriously believes that China managed to stop this virus spreading to Shanghai, but couldn’t stop it spreading to the rest of the planet is living in cloud cuckoo land. The young doctor that spoke out conveniently died. Others have gone missing. Russia too seems to have gotten off very lightly. None of it makes sense.

EllanVannin Fri 17-Apr-20 13:50:27

I wasn't surprised as pandemics kill millions, not thousands.

NotSpaghetti Fri 17-Apr-20 14:17:53

I don't think it was "convenient" as I understood he died of this virus?

NotSpaghetti Fri 17-Apr-20 14:18:59

Also, I'm not "supporting" China, just pointing out that everyone is doing it.

25Avalon Fri 17-Apr-20 14:23:48

Are they telling the truth now? I reckon you could add two noughts on to the end.

rosecarmel Fri 17-Apr-20 14:42:14

They interviewed some medical head from China on the radio yesterday- He said the disparity is Liberal propaganda- I turned off the radio- The abundance of lies and blame majorly outweigh accountability- Its sickening ..

PamelaJ1 Fri 17-Apr-20 14:52:20

China will tell us what they want us to hear.
With no evidence whatsoever to back up my theory I think the death of the young doctor was not a coincidence.

toscalily Fri 17-Apr-20 15:16:55

PamelaJ1. I agree with you, thought it all seemed too convenient.

maddyone Fri 17-Apr-20 18:14:47

Yes, it’s all very suspicious, in particular the death of the young doctor who tried to warn the world.
But I’m also suspicious of our own numbers and the numbers of other countries. I saw the article about the advice to our doctors no longer needing to record deaths as Coronavirus if the person happened to have another condition. To me, that’s massaging the figures, but why? Also not including deaths from Coronavirus that occur in Care Homes or deaths that occur at home. Why not? I’d like some answers. Also NotSpagetti’s link about Spanish deaths. Why are democratic governments trying to massage the figures?
I’ve said on a couple of threads, I think our government were too late in reacting, that’s why we’re where we are now. We should have acted sooner, two or three weeks sooner in my opinion. A lot of things we’ve done right, increasing ITU capacity and opening Nightingale hospitals, but we lost valuable time going down the ridiculous policy of ‘herd immunity.’ I’d like to know who the scientists were who gave that terrible advice, but they’ll be shielded by government and we’ll never know. I wonder if they can sleep well at night?