Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Coronavirous and essential travel.

(10 Posts)
Callistemon Sun 19-Apr-20 20:12:42

You must be relieved!

Can her medication be delivered to her home now?

Madmeg Sun 19-Apr-20 18:57:23

Did the car checks and glad I went cos she had nearly run out of meds, and was relieved to get them. I also benefitted from reassurance that her telling me over the phone that she was coping better with the illness was true - I could see it in her face and demeanour. The charity paperwork also included some stuff that needs urgent attention.

Of course it was great also to chat across the driveway with the grandkids who had drawn rainbows for us to put in our windows! Not seen them since Christmas. So good for practical and psychological reasons. Thanks folks.

Callistemon Sun 19-Apr-20 00:09:19

My DS offered to fetch my medication for me and deliver it as the hospital said that this would be what we would have to do, which entailed a 100 mile round trip for him.
However the hospital has now arranged for volunteers to deliver medication thank goodness.

Callistemon Sun 19-Apr-20 00:05:34

I may be telling Grannies to suck eggs but check your car over first!

Oil, water, tyres etc.
It's surprising how many cars are on the road without the tyres being at the correct pressure.

lemongrove Sat 18-Apr-20 23:14:00

Definitely go Madmeg it’s for a good reason.

Madmeg Sat 18-Apr-20 20:17:49

Thanks alI. I know there's lots of people bending the rules - some dangerously and selfishly - but I'm uncomfortable about it as a) I'm new to all this and b) I could probably post the medication and talk through all the post over the phone with her (or get her to scan and email it). The latter would take forever, and she is struggling to work from home (after nearly a year of undiagnosed illness) and care for her two small children. Her hubby is a key worker so isn't around much. She's also shopping and looking out for her inlaws who have both had those letters telling them to isolate for 12 weeks for medical reasons.

Tangerine Sat 18-Apr-20 19:19:20

In your situation, I'd make the trip.

The medication is reason enough and I don't see why you shouldn't pick up your post at the same time.

GagaJo Sat 18-Apr-20 19:17:12

A government minister or several have felt it was reasonable to drive hundreds of miles so why not. You have a genuine reason. Just make sure you have a plan in place of a car breakdown.

Barmeyoldbat Sat 18-Apr-20 18:53:22

Well I would yes its ok, its essential that she has had medication. I am intending to visit my daughter tomorrow, 110 mile round trip across country on B roads. She is living alone, disabled and has a learning disability, she is managing quite well but is very lonely after not going out for 4 weeks. So I am taking a picnic, I will sit in the garden, she will sit in the doorway eating her picnic and me eating mine. I won't be going into the house or near her and I will not be stopping on my way there and back, except maybe for a wee in the bushes. I consider it essential for he mental health.

Madmeg Sat 18-Apr-20 18:31:00

We've been abroad since Christmas, arrived back last week. No exposure to the virus in the last 40 days. We had all our post redirected to our daughter 25 miles away - and there is a lot cos I am treasurer to several local charities and run a small business, all of which I need to catch up on.

Is it reasonable to drive over to get the stuff?

Our daughter was also diagnosed with a permanent disabling illness at Christmas and is finding it impossible to get the medication that is working for her and we have managed to source a supply so we'd take that over at the same time.

We naturally won't go to her door - handover will be at a distance - and we won't be stopping anywhere en-route.

What do you think?